The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
paradox

Yerba mate (ilex paraguariensis) dried herb

hey all,

just posted this over at Australian ethnobotany & have a bit on swapnsell, but i have a fair bit left over so i'll post here too.

genuine Argentinian dried Yerba mate herb, imported from Argentina by a friend of my family. i have quite a bit left over so if people want any at the moment it's $2.50 a ounce. or if you wanna trade let me know.

tis very nice! been enjoying it immensely :)

Edited by paradox604

any chance of importing decorative calabash/gourds or bombillas?

any chance of importing decorative calabash/gourds or bombillas?

i don't know, quite possible. i'll look into it :)

as far as i know you can get calabash/gourd seed pretty easily can't you? i think my friend is growing some at the moment.

If you look around you can import the full Matero set with bombilla ect and .5-1kg of mate for about $20AUD

If you look around you can import the full Matero set with bombilla ect and .5-1kg of mate for about $20AUD

off topic but didnt think it was worth another thread, Yerba mate + shroom :lol:

anyone had experience with Ilex guayusa?

be careful. I got screwed with this. most mates are made from gourds and quarantine will not let them through untreated [$42]. Make sure you get a wooden one [which are more expensive].

The ornate oens are usually made from gourds too, hence not many around.

why not just grow your own gourd?

& you could probably construct a pretty nice bombilla if you tried, i reckon.

bombilla are easy to source. we have lots for sale. we also tried growing the gourds, but you have to be on the ball to get them the right size.

we were selling seed for 3 years and didn't sell a single packet!! i might grow some this year and offer fresh seed next season if there is a demand.

didnt even think of the quaratine issues, covered in aluminum or something so I guess they didnt spot it...

Also wooden gourds need to be cured or they will split when they dry out, also goes nice green and mouldy :drool2:

alu will not help with quarantine :scratchhead: .

I've been thinking of doing a large gourd import and getting them heat treated on arrival. just not sure if they will survive the process well.

i can't help myself. all this talk of gourds reminds me of a band called Totally Gourdgeous. Anyone heard of them?

They make all of they're instruments out of gourds. really awsome sounds, i love it. i'm not sure but i think they're from N NSW, if thats the case than someone here probably knows them. they'd be good folks to talk to about growing & curing gourds i'd say :rolleyes:

anyway, as far as i've read, gourds aren't too hard to cure, just place them in a warm, dry, ventilated place, turning them every so often, disposing of any which start to rot.

i personally find preparing Yerba in a tea pot similar to green tea, to be very pleasant. Doesn't taste dis-similar to green tea either. tho the traditional method has got me interested too.

hey Tort,

got a nice wooden one off US ebay I think it was, which in turn was imported from Argentina. Is pretty friggin small (one sip really) which means if I put one spoonfull of mate in it, I can refill it about 20-30 times and still have flavour in there.

I'd def be interested in one of your locally grown (or directly imported) gouard bombillas Torsten, a nice fat deep one would do be nicely! :)

Edited by SaBReT00tH

did I say it would help with quarnatine? :scratchhead:<

There is a defenite art to it if you drink your yerba from a bombilla...may take some time to stop getting those chunky bits up, did for me at least, but well worth it..just need some sort of gourd holster now :P

oh that band sounds funkA paradox604

bombilla are easy to source. we have lots for sale.

Do you sell them separately online? 'Cos I have only found reference to your mate kits.

did I say it would help with quarnatine? :scratchhead:

umm, yes.

"didnt even think of the quaratine issues, covered in aluminum or something so I guess they didnt spot it..."

Do you sell them separately online? 'Cos I have only found reference to your mate kits.

we did for a while, but because we sold even less bombillas than we sell mate kits, I pulled them off. one of the problems with importing bombillas is consistency. Some styles are really modern, others old, some are good quality others crap.

Will put them back up now.

yummo just brewed a cuppa

I can feel the coffee buzz but at the same time its calming, kind of brings you up and puts you even, i had another bottle of it later and was absolutly buzzing and bouncing off the walls after 2 cups

It taste like green tea!! Im making a ice green yerbamate green tea with lemon, i think it would be a fantastic cold drink

Cheers Paradox!!

Edited by Tepa

Images, images :drool2:

Totally gourdgeous:

tgtam.jpg

Edited by paradox604

Cheers Para, goodies arrived this afternoon.

Let the fun begin! :lol:

Images, images :drool2:

lol, will try to get them done soon. the ornate one is so horrendously kitsch, that i don't think we'll sell any if i put up a pic :wink:

also, have had some emails and Pms re this and just wanted to clarify that the bombillas are the drinking straw, NOT the mate [gourd].

did I say it would help with quarnatine?
umm, yes.

WTF Ok then, just to clear it up...

Just because some mate gourds may not look like wood, they are and should be imported in the proper manner!

hope thats better Torsten.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Conan Troutman

Cheers Paradox! Thats come good Mate, mate :lol:

Will be ordering some more soon!!

Good onya paradox, received that Mate yesterday, your a champ.

Tastes and smells just like strong green tea.

Not a sab virgin anymore. Partook of my first ethnobotanical. :lol:

Cheers

just got another load of yerba, if anyone is interested give us a PM

$2.50 an ounce & i'm also definitely open to trades :)