The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
fringle

newcastle, nsw find (larges images)

Question

hi,

there has been a lot of rain in newcastle the last few days so i thought id see if i could find anything interesting in my local area. these are pics of some mushrooms im hopeing, but doubting, are active species. i will put some pics up of some other weird stuff(fungi) i found in another post.

i am new to the mushroom world, my only guess is the mushrooms from area2 are old subs., though im probably way off.

none of these stained blue, which is not a good sign i read.

Will have spore prints of the mushrooms from areas 3 and 4 tomoro.

cheers for any help.

AREA2:

found on eucalyptus debris

caps 2-4cm

IMGP3139.jpg

IMGP3141.jpg

IMGP3142.jpg

AREA3:

found on a mixture of mulch and eucalyptus debris

hollow stems, 2-4mm thick/3-5cm long

gills and stem are light brown in colour

caps 2-5cm

IMGP3192.jpg

IMGP3194.jpg

AREA4:

found on eucalyptus debris

stems are hollow, 5-10mm thick/ 5-10cm long

caps 5-12cm

IMGP3200.jpg

IMGP3201.jpg

IMGP3203.jpg

9 answers to this question

Welcome champ! Certainly dont look like subs - the fringes of these caps seem very unusual. Sorry, but I cant help on an ID other than that - perhaps try using the key at www.mushroomexpert.com - I have found that suprisingly accurate and handy! :)

Nice finds anyway!

looks like cyans to me, but what would i know i just eat them! :shroomer:

Hi,

making sporeprints is very important for a correct ID!!! I can´t stress this out enough! Sporeprints from Psilocybes are purple or black. None of them are psilocybes. Area 2 might be Inocybe. Area 3 has similarities to Psilocybe Cyanescens but i´m pretty sure that those aren´t some. Cyanescens has a very preeminent white stem and the cap doesn´t looks that yellowish. Cyanescens mostly shows a very strong bluing reaction! Though this can also be totally absent, most of them get almost black! If you are after psilocybes, i wouldn´t bother about mushrooms that don´t stain blue. If they stain blue AND have purple or black gills, it´s very likely that you´ve found a psilocybe. No Idea about the Rest. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

they r not cyans... (i dont think)i think i have seen these mushies around...do would not eat... the 1st ones used to grow all around a patch that a friend used to visit... it may be worth keeping an eye on it.... note, the 1st mushies in pic usually arrived before the ones u r likely searching for

Edited by shroomytoonos

Hi,

thanks for the help, and that site to.

I can confirm these are not what i was looking for, as use suspected, with white/beige spore prints.

looks like ill be going back when it gets colder with a bit sharper eye.

cheers

When driving up passed the Newcastle to Port Macquarie areas on the way home from Sydney yesterday I saw quite a lot of Panaeolus subbalteatus going strong.

When driving up passed the Newcastle to Port Macquarie areas on the way home from Sydney yesterday I saw quite a lot of Panaeolus subbalteatus going strong.

And you didnt stop and take any pics Andy? :drool2:

SO are we sure that Panaeolus subbalteatus grows in Oz now? I've seen pics from Oz that look like Panaeolus subbalteatus, but to my knowledge these have never been confirmed via microscopy or via bioassay. Are we sure they arn't just cyanescens? Do they blue?

SO are we sure that Panaeolus subbalteatus grows in Oz now? I've seen pics from Oz that look like Panaeolus subbalteatus, but to my knowledge these have never been confirmed via microscopy or via bioassay. Are we sure they arn't just cyanescens? Do they blue?

Well they sure looked like it to my NN and njo they didnt blue up, at least not quickly.

A drop-bear that was traveling with me grabed a bag full of them growing out os grass but by the time he checked on them a day or so later they had turned into mush due to being in a plastic bag.. :(

Someone will try and take a print and get back to you.