The Corroboree
BlackDragon

Introducing "M&D" clone

Hiya All,

Just thought it was time to introduce you all to my little friend that should start travelling the trade routes soon. I would like people that already have this clone to keep the associated name with it for further trading, so we can keep track on how she stands up to differing environments, yields and diseases etc. Thanks to those that will spread her prodgeny far and wide.

T. bridgesii/ E.langiformis Clone : "Mum&Dad" a.k.a "M&D"

gallery_1274_18_224097.jpg

"Mum&Dad" clone is a special plant that i managed to resuce over ten years ago form a roadside excavation team (cacti haters). After freeing her from her certain demise and transplanting at my parents home, she was treated to a wonderful life of sandy loam soils terraced with warming moss rocks. For ten years she had sprouted forth much new growth, and quite some height (3.5m+) and pups annually profusely.

gallery_1274_18_74317.jpg

She has little problems in the way of the dreaded black rot, although we normally have little if any problems with black death at all here. Not sure how she will go in tropical areas(hopefully with spread of this clone we will see soon enough). She can handle high levels of organic ferts without any problems, it causes no blisters or problems anytime of year here.

med_gallery_1274_18_89617.jpg

Mature specimen had been growing in position that allowed for early morning sun and full sun till around 4pm most of its life(8years). The later stages of growth(2years before harvest) were almost completely covered(no sun after 11-12am) by an overgrown hakea spp. Dapple but not full sunlight was filtered through to the mature specimen. Tip growth had thinned and no more height was achieved for those two years. Shade may play an important role in high alkaloid level, but this is yet to be fully tested.

gallery_1274_18_126077.jpg

Characteristics are that of the typical Bolivian type, glaucus lengths rarely exceeding 80-100mm in diameter. Average of 70-85mm. Spines 30-70+mm in length. Pups profusely, both at ground level and along the length of older sections.

Growth is quick, averaging around 250-300mm+/year.

*EDIT*Took some pics of the mature plant today, hope you enjoy.

Main tip:

gallery_1274_18_242256.jpg

Multi pupping mature stock:

gallery_1274_18_55186.jpg

gallery_1274_18_28143.jpg

Finally, a comparison between M&D, Cornucopia#1 and Cornucopia#2.

gallery_1274_18_158844.jpg

Ill put up a comparison of Bruce or do a similar "Introducing: Bruce" thread later in the week.

Any other friends out there with "M&D" clones could you please add some pics please, i would love to see the new growth in different locations, and how she has performed for you.

I also hope to have some cuts available soon for sale/trade. Keep an eye out on SwapnSell, ill drop a reminder note on the SAB seed exchange anyways.

Cheerin

Bd.

Edited by BlackDragon
  • Like 1

very well done man, they're gorgeous.

i'll definately put my hand up for trades when she's released.

it'll be interesting to keep track of her travel's throughout the community over the next couple of years.

There you go again...

Another Australian brother making us bros on the other side of the pacific jealous!

:lol:

I'm such a whore for Australian cacti.

Hell yeah thats a mighty sexy specimen there BD!

Love to add that to my collection when the time comes :)

Good work :worship:

Excellent work BD, sounds like alot of love has gone into "Mum and Dad".

Some pics of the mother plant would be nice to show some maturity and sum pics of small pups would be good too if possible.

How do you distinguish this plant from others such as "Bruce" and "Psycho0"?

wooooooooo bridge woooooooooooo wooooo

Black dragon was one of the first people to take me serious when I used to say 'forget pachanoi - concentrate on bridgesii', before most people could even pronounce that name :P. It's great to see this clone finally getting out there. Wooohooo!

"Bridges-E-eye" can't stand it when people call it 'bridgezzi' :rolleyes:

Would also love a specimen of the M&D in my ever growing bridgesioid collection, they are definitely my favourite columnular cactus. Some don't like them because of the spines, I even knew a guy who used to cut the spines off because he hated them so much. I actually don't mind at all when I get spiked.

Will be sleeping with one eye open and the other glued to my moniter until I get one of these excellent forms in my collection.

Beautiful cactus :)

Another Australian brother making us bros on the other side of the pacific jealous!
We need to start breeding cacti more seriously to compete with the aussies :wink:
"Bridges-E-eye" can't stand it when people call it 'bridgezzi' :rolleyes:
Seems I was mispronouncing it :blush: I wont bother to practice tho since its now E. lageniformis :P Edited by Auxin

I wont bother to practice tho since its now E. lageniformis :P

Good point Auxin :lol:

We need to start breeding cacti more seriously to compete with the aussies :wink:

We can try, but our australian mates can plant the damn things in their yard. I'm working on cold frames, but a few years in native dirt in the sun beats a choice clone in a coldframe any day!

I'm here to spread the love, though. Consider me an embassador of the select cactacae! I welcome all attempts at cactus globalization!

:worship:

Peace my brothers!

Top work B.D, hopefully Ill b able to add it to my growing bridgessi collection in the futre, surely is a labor of love.

"cactus globalization!"

LOL thats globalization I could support.

Man, thats a beautiful strain, and what numbers to match! Truly awesome work finding and cultivating her BD, looking forward to finding a clone in my backyard one day! :worship:

Thanks everyone B) , hopefull a few feet will make it out before winter sets in, probably more cuts will be available spring/early summer.

*Edited new photos into the first post of the motherplant and its friends..

I think Cornucopia #2 looks awesome - is that a standard bridge? Its newer growth seems pretty spine-free - a trait that would be ideal in a bridge strain... :)

Yep, I believe that C#1 and C#2 were seed grown t.bridgesii individuals from the same seedlot when i purschased them. They show differing traits tho. C#2 isnt that spike free, but it pups ever so freely!! Ill introduce them later on, keep posted :) Sorry for the poor condition of M&D in the pics, many feet were propagated during summer, she look no where near a peerrty when she was whole. It took me years to build up the courage to do the chop :unsure: All for the better tho :)

I'm lucky enough to have a few "Mum & Dads" in my collection & they are all pupping nicely just got another 2 late pups last week!

I've also tested this one out of the garden aswell & she is a WONDERFUL teacher ;)

Thanks BD ;)

There you go again...

I'm such a whore for Australian cacti.

Ditto!!!

post-747-1178462708_thumb.jpg

post-747-1178462825_thumb.jpg

It gets full morning sun until about 11, then 1/2 strength sun till about 3, then full sun again until sunset. I think I've used soluble organic ferts once, other than that just organic slow release, like blood and bone etc. Only small so far but hopefully it'll put on a fair bit of growth once its planted out. Sorry about the slight out-of-focusness, the pics were taken at like 12pm at night :P

Are there any of these coming to market soon, or a way to register interest for them? :drool2:

"or a way to register interest for them?"

I think u just did :wink: , u could start a thread in the seed & plant ex though.

Gorgeous plant.

I always tend to pronounce it as was commented above since no one understands real latineze.

Latinization almost always butchers proper names.

If a botanist was saying it they would say breed -gas (long a)- EE - eye.

They also say Al-OH-ay. I'm a heathen and say AL-oh.

That is probably why I don't speak Latin. No one would ever understand me.

haha, I like calling it like the peeps in Adelaide do: Bridge-Easy :) I think some others call it: Bridges-Eye too

Edited by SaBReT00tH
  • Like 1

Yes latin names with two 'i's at the end [ii] are pronounced EE-EYE, I have heard lot's of people refer to Acacia maidenii as may-den-EE, thought it is pronounced may-den-EE-EYE, it annoys me almost as much as the epithet 'brigezzi'.

Incedentally Acacia maidenii is named in honour of J. H. Maiden, A Government botanist in Australia and long-time Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney, Australia.

There is a beautiful old specimen planted there and I assume it was in his honour. Who knows it may have even been planted the man himself.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream