The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Stay Puft

best acacia for phyllode content

Hmm... Gerbil i had no idea! Ps: fyi it actually wasn't me :)

Why is fallen plant material still forbidden to be collected??

Yes Harry you're spot on, absolutely a.obtus is the way to go, it is literally everywhere (well in vic and nsw, not sure about other states..)

Sorry you copped that Ace :lol:

Tonic, i totally understand where you're coming from, but personally i think it's more important to raise awareness of the status and importance of species such as this rather than attempt to shield the community from hearing about it.. with the internet there is sooo much information available to anyone who searches, a few minutes and someone will easily become aware of phleb and the rest and unfortunately they may well choose to persue phleb :( hopefully they also come across information that outlines why phleb is not to be abused, they may learn some respect :) better to be informed imo

Actually Gerbil, i notice phleb seeds are available from online shops, wouldn't this then be illegal? Would a phleb cultivated at home be illegal to possess?

I've never heard of a country that made possession of endangered species illegal... such a policy would rapidly cause extinction. Generally people are encouraged to grow endangered and threatened species.

Problem is, last I checked, no cultivated phlebs survived to adulthood and produced seed... granted I havent checked in a few years but its odvious that theres a good chance that seed sold in shops are either not phleb (most likely) or that the seed were illegally harvested from wild specimens.

How about instead of people ripping em for their content we all go try germ some seeds and or clones if possible then redistribute the tree till its no longer endaguerd?

The problem is no one can get them to grow to maturity in cultivation and all genuine seed I've ever heard of is stolen from trees in the wild.

Its not endangered because no ones bothered to plant seed, its because the exact cultural requirements for growing them have not yet been discovered

Something has to be done!

There should be programs funded by the government to prevent this from happening. Surely there is already. If the government gave the go ahead for 25% of a trees seeds to be harvested for conservation purposes and then trained volunteers sprouted them, this would be more effective than letting the tree try and re-establish itself wouldn't it?

Also you wouldn't need to grow them to maturity. All you would need to do is sprout them and grow them till they have some hardiness then transplant into their natural habitat. It would be a slow process but at least something would be done.

There should be programs funded by the government to prevent this from happening. Surely there is already.

You must be dreaming Harry - why would the government care if there is another species of tree becomming extinct? Just because it has unusually high levels of a prohibited substance which a very small community of psychonauts wants legalised? Unfortunately this will never happen, if it were the case, hemp would still be the main source of fibre, oil and textiles. The gov doesnt care about the environment, as can be seen by the huge amount of suburbia that is rapidly raping the natural landscape.

The piddly amount of media hype that says the gov cares about the greenhouse effect, global warming, water conservation, drought releif, etc, etc, is just pathetic. They dont care. Simple as that. As long as their paycheck comes through and they keep getting the votes, then why bother caring?

Rant, rant, rant. :P

Then maybe the matter should be taken into ones own hands so to speak.

Whether it has ethno use or not its still part of a delicate and beautiful ecosystem that should be preserved.

Very sad.

Thanks to PD's and E's threads as linked above, I was made aware of the need to conserve these trees. If it wasnt for such threads, I'd have never really cared much about them myself, so it was well worth posting them guys!

"You must be dreaming Harry - why would the government care if there is another species of tree becomming extinct? Just because it has unusually high levels of a prohibited substance which a very small community of psychonauts wants legalised? Unfortunately this will never happen, if it were the case, hemp would still be the main source of fibre, oil and textiles. The gov doesnt care about the environment, as can be seen by the huge amount of suburbia that is rapidly raping the natural landscape."

I think the govt funded the woolemi pine project & now they are being distributed to the community, If enough people are concerned I think they will do something it just takes a bit to get them motivated

The only reason that the gov would have been interested in the Wollemi Pine would have been its association with fossils and the age of the dinosaurs. I could imagine a bunch of us open minded folks going up to them and as soon as the word entheogen was mentioned, we'd be laughed away.

I can see your point though, enough interest could get them to change their minds and help fight for the cause - but if it was a matter of numbers, cannabis would have been made legal decades ago. Sorry to sound negative, but I just cant see them caring about an old wattle verging on the edge of extincion because it contains high levels of a mind expanding substance... :(

"The only reason that the gov would have been interested in the Wollemi Pine would have been its association with fossils and the age of the dinosaurs."

Yeah I think it was cause of the media hype & hence community support that helped the wollemi pine.

"I could imagine a bunch of us open minded folks going up to them and as soon as the word entheogen was mentioned, we'd be laughed away."

Yeah thats probly a point but I wouldnt b mentioning that, let them find out after it was in big enough numbers :P .

"I can see your point though, enough interest could get them to change their minds and help fight for the cause - but if it was a matter of numbers, cannabis would have been made legal decades ago."

Cannabis could b made legal 2day, if everybody who smoked cannabis was a member of NORML laws would change.

" Sorry to sound negative, but I just cant see them caring about an old wattle verging on the edge of extincion because it contains high levels of a mind expanding substance... :("

I'm not to confident much will change either but the govt does provide national parks, & park rangers to keep them in relative good condition, and they do protect & have legislature for the plants, Im not saying the govt is doing all it can for endangered fauna but they do do something.

Also you wouldn't need to grow them to maturity. All you would need to do is sprout them and grow them till they have some hardiness then transplant into their natural habitat. It would be a slow process but at least something would be done.

There is plenty of natural recruitment occurring on the mountain. The problem is that the area is frequently affected by fires and the population is also under threat from a gall disease (as well as poorly-informed or misguided ethnobotanists). Ex-situ conservation is necessary, most importantly to reduce the last problem but also to back up against catastrophic events in the field population.

I recall something about a US member (spunwhirlin or Stonehenge maybe) possibly having some success with phleb cultivation past the 3 year hurdle?

Given the rarity of Phlebs the most feasible phyllode species would be Obtuse which can match and even surpasse the alkaloid content of Phleb.(about 0.3% according to the original study)

is that still seasonal?

AJ

i would think so, myself

Yes, variation of alkaloid expression occurs throughout the seasons and between different populations of the species.