The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Stay Puft

best acacia for phyllode content

Hey all,

Just wondering in peoples experiences which acacias they have found to have the most alkaloid content in the phyllodes/leaves??

It's an endangered species not viable for harvest.

Obtusifolia bark is what one might want if wanting to perform some kind of extraction..

He was wondering about phyllodes, not bark, but by most accounts I've read that would still be obtusifolia.

Edit: found one reference

Edited by Auxin

Not sure about obtusifolia, but in some other species, phyllode levels are approaching bark levels in spring/early summer.

Has anyone done anything about that 40ft endangered acacia? I am keen to grow some for regeneration. There was talk of obtaining seeds for this purpose. Be a shame to let such a beautifull tree disapear :(

Its the one that was discussed in this thread Sphinx.

All hush hush to protect the species and location as its very endangered but a 10 min google search using the clues revealed the name, at least I think its the one.

Hmm.. ok i have no idea from those clues :) but that's ok i don't need to know, thought it was something obvious i missed..

phleb is the obvious choice for phyllode yield, but never ever should wild species be harvested for this purpose. I've heard of people making aussie-huasca with fallen leaves (people actually being not myself, although i don't see a problem with this, as long as their environment isn't damaged in the process)

if phleb is to be persued, in fact forget that, we should all be making the effort in home cultivating phleb for preservation and entheogenic purposes.. i think there's several people having decent success with this

Phleb??

Whats phleb Sphinx?

Jeez, Hazza - havent you heard about phlebifolia? It is incredibly rare and endangered and should never be taken from its habitat - but do a quick search and you'll find all the info needed :wink: I must stress, the populations for this species are so small, purposely taking any material from their area could be their demise, so dont kill these things for your own interests people - conservation is the key. Think of the future generations. To quote the simpsons - Oh wont somebody please think of the children!!

Never heard of it... :scratchhead:

Will do some research now though as its been brought to my attention :)

Thanx guys.

Well said ace, according to wiki this is one of the purest natural sources of dmt and if i remember correctly it's content is around 0.6% in the leaves. This poor guy is extremely in danger of becomming extinct and grows naturally only in one place in the world..

if even only a few people selfishly harvest these plants for dmt (which can be aquired significantly easier from a.obtus - no need for defat and obtus are everywhere) there is risk of forever losing such a special species!

As i said, rather we should all be contributing to cultivating this plant and introducing it to new environments.

:)

Save the phleb!!!

a_phlebophylla.jpg

Google dosen't bring up any hits, must be rare :scratchhead:

Any good link people?

Thanx Spninx !!

Ahhh, its spelt different lol.

Lucky bastard! :wave-finger::P

Phleb is so threatened that you should'nt even be thinking about it. You should have kept hush on this subject Ace.

You should have kept hush on this subject Ace.
I think most here are intelligent enough to not take the most powerful natural psychadelic known to man after raping an endangered species. My only beef would be the oft quoted line that phlebophylla is the species with the highest concentration of DMT in the phyllodes - this is not a proven fact.

i didnt bring this topic up so that we could all argue about threatened species. if the acacias i am after are infact all rare and endangered then i think its best the topic is left be. being a horticulturalist and having worked in one of australias best botanic gardens i hve first hand experience of what happens when some stupid kids realise they can get high off a cactus.

if someone has had good experiences with acacia phyllodes/leaves and they have some seed of the species that they would be willing to trade pm me, other than that i think its probably better we dont talk too openly about any rare threatened species

Obtusi bark.

Look no further.

have a look at SAB, has some info on species and spice location.

SAB

Can't link direct to the page damn it!

Edited by Harry

Phleb is so threatened that you should'nt even be thinking about it. You should have kept hush on this subject Ace.

Sorry Tonic, but I believe it was Sphinx who actually brought it up. If anything, I was trying to discourage the use of it, and made that quite clear. I even mis-spelt the name to avoid people trying to use it to google search for ID keys. Please make no mistake - absolutely no threatened species (especially those bordering extinction) should ever be used for such practices - they need to be conserved. Only if they are propegated enough to escape the threatened/endangered species list could they be thought of for such purposes.

It has been said many times, conservation is the key.

Edit: sorry about ruining your thread Mr Stay Puft :(

Edited by Ace

Is This the link you were trying for?

Yup thats the one.

Thanx Aux :)

I've heard of people making aussie-huasca with fallen leaves (people actually being not myself, although i don't see a problem with this, as long as their environment isn't damaged in the process)

This isn't aimed at you sphinx, just generally addressing the statement for anyones knowledge. Collection of ANY material of this Acacia and just about any other Acacia spp. in Victoria is specifically illegal under the Flora and Fauna Guaranteee Act 1994, this includes any living or dead material, on or off the plant, this includes dead phyllodes.

IMO humans don't understand the function the biomass of this specific plant has in the way it cycles in the ecosystem, removal of leaf litter or any organic matter is environmental damage to varying extents, known and unknown.

gerbil has a point. hypothetical example: DMT could be viewed as just a convenient way to store a inactive auxin precursor, tree drops seed, tree drops leaves, leaves sit there on top of seed with their store of DMT, wet season comes, leaves stay wet long enough for bacteria to metabolize DMT into IAA which triggers seed to grow, thus seed wait until there is ample moisture for a week solid before trying to grow.

I have no clue if IAA would trigger acacia germination but its scenarios like that that we can easily interrupt without realizing it.

(Yes puft, we wander off topic frequently and with enthusiasm, I just think of it as part of our charm :P )

BTW I wasn't having a go at you Ace mate, was really just trying to illustrate the vunerability of this plant to all who may take an interest in wild harvesting. It is illegal to do so anyway. Was just trying to stop that information from going any further and providing a catalyst for other members to add to and elaborate on my theme [which worked :wink: ] , if you get my drift.

It would be such a wonderful thing if the species could be propagated and cultivated with good genetic diversity, if that is possible given they grow in such a small area and the limited number of plants, I am not really sure. It would be great though. Alot of our indigenous plant species have already been lost and are the brink of being lost forever.

Edited by tonic