The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DocAzz

Road Trip to Oberon

Hey all,

I've mentioned the idea to a couple of peeps, and I've gotten quite a positive response.

I'm just tossing it up in the air right now, as I don't have a specific date in mind. As Oberon is only a 3ish hours out of Sydney, it leaves a few options:

1) Head up there one morning, make a day out of it, and come back at night.

2) Head up there during the day, go out collecting, camp there for a night (or two!) and then head back.

Is anyone familiar with the town? Camping grounds etc etc?

Its generally my style to just wing it, as the worst case scenario will mean I sleep in the car, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest... but it might be a prob for anyone else sharing a spot in my car having to put up with my snoring!

Any out-of-towners wanna come? If so, we'll try and wrap the dates around you!

Any one got some dates they would prefer?

Edited by Azz301

I'd be interested in going. Was planning on going up sometime soon for a hunt (I hear oberon is amazing for mushroom hunting) so might as well make a trip of it and meet some great people as well. :wink:

Great idea Azz

Sounds interesting.

*cough* BUMP *cough*

C'mon there has to be more interest than that!!!

I've got two replies, and two PMs. 4 people.

Looks like the 5 of us are going to have a mad time!!

How many people do you want? Probably best to keep it small? I am pretty keen but would have to organise a lift with someone if that would be cool?

grown bigger than ya thought ay azz? LOL looks like i thought about this one too long

You gots to come with Amulte, you missed the meet mate, you gots to come with! LOL well not if you can't, but you gots to come with.

:lol:

Did any of that make sense?

You gots to come with Amulte, you missed the meet mate, you gots to come with! LOL well not if you can't, but you gots to come with.

:lol:

Did any of that make sense?

LOL um i think so, if i can make it that is LOL

Ok, not looking too bad here. My preference would be to camp for atleast one night [i'm open to staying two possibly, but will see], especially if hunting goes well, have a nice fire etc. chat or whatever happens, a bit of a gathering.

Will do a bit of camp site scouting via internet and people I know from upper mountains. Did you have a specific spot in mind Azz? Or you were sort of going in randomly? If you have a spot in mind possibly PM me a rough location and will try and find a spot that is nice and close. Am pretty sure there is some top camping spots around the vicinity. Have travelled through the area but not exstensively as I don't drive or have a car.

I would suggest anyone planning on participating bring some really good warm clothing as it can get really cold in Oberon at certain times of the year. Another thought is Katoomba is most likely the best place to stock up on food supplies etc. on the way through. They have a decent supermarket and numerous camping/climbing shops etc. [expensive] but good for last minute remembered items that were left at home LOL :lol:, it happens.

Also maybe throw a few dates around and see what we can come up with and try and enlist a few other humans to join us, ANYONE ELSE KEEN???

Come on people it should be fun, lets get this thing organised and make it happen.

What does everyone think?

Edited by tonic

if there are more ppl than available cars to fit them, i have travelled there by public transport and know what's what.

i am keen, if i haven't already said so... yet to pm azz though... :unsure:

so who's in for it and what are the planned dates?

azz

tonic

Parcifal

Ayahuascara?

husk?

Amulte?

May 12/13?

x peace

Bus it from Lithgow husk? Sounds promising.

I am going to say that May 12th-13th suits me. If not will post early to let people know. There should be no probs for me for those dates.

Anyone else like these dates?

This is only a month away so be good to get it happening soon organise wise.

Edited by tonic

http://www.oberonweb.com.au/things_mushrooms.asp :):lol::drool2:

I am thinking Kanangra Boyd is looking like a good place, very magical place indeed. Lots of pine forests reasonably close by.

Anyone got any other ideas?

oberon an ethno hotspot?????

who would have guessed!!!

i think the central west is certainly untapped for its ethno potential.

The most intense mushroom trip ive ever had was of one solitary shroom growing in pine mulch the orange tafe carpark.

I swear honest indian that it was alot more potent than any other subs i have tried from melb/sydney.

I am talking fullblown aya visuals, walls melting,fractal goddess kinda stuff. Was totally unexpected, i was thinking 'looks like a sub(blued up when i picked it-pointed copper colred cap white stem),' ill just try one to see' and made sure my friends knew i was doing it incase of a miss i.d.

If it starts raining there head to orange and search the euc forests. HEAPS of amanita muscaria growing along the golf course as well under the pines this time of year!

have never had the bolloks to try them though.

Edited by jono

The 12/13th is good for me too! Shall we lock it in?

I can take 2-3 people... depends how intimate you like your car ride :wink:

Everyone got camping gear? Chairs, stoves etc

I've got quite a few friends in the upper mountains that might be interested in coming, but if peeps would prefer an SAB get together, then thats cool too.

I've got no idea about the Oberon area, so if someone else has a better idea, then I'm just happy to be there.

My only request is that we're only a short walk to:

1) mushrooms

2) a bottle shop

and a long walk from other people! :lol:

Would people like to chip in and hire a mini-bus? It'll work out cheaper than public transport if we can fill it up.

Edited by Azz301

I guess you may as well lock it in Azz.

Camping gear wise I don't have a stove. I have my own tent, chair crap like that.

We should keep it small I was thinking, but it is your trip so that is ultimately up to you.

I second the proximity to mushrooms, that said I am only assuming that state forest pine plantations are the best place to look, apart from that I am flying blind. :blink:

Bottle shop, I suggest you buy your beverages beforehand and bring an esky, up to you though. You don't want to be hunting a bottle 'o' when you could be hunting mushrooms.

On the minibus, ummmm I am very limited for cashish so might bail out on that idea.

Edited by tonic

Alrighty then! Unless there are objections, I'm going to call up some places in Oberon during the day this saturday and get some details.

Are there any areas I should be looking for in particular? Husk, you were up there recently... any ideas?

I'll get back with the details and we'll go from there.

EDIT: Didn't say it before, but partners are ofcourse welcome! Mine isn't interested tho. :(

Edited by Azz301

pine plantations are the spots to find jp's and milk caps - hamilton, jenolan, vulcan.

these are obvious on most maps and stick out like a sore thumb when yr nearby.

there are white muscarias popping up around here so according to yr hypothosis azz, the mountains..?

as for the silly fungi maybe some mountain crawlers can advise us as to which is better, sandy euc soils or the piney dirt?

i've unfortunately dropped to 60% in making it to this one (i know i suck) as i have recently become aware that i am quite under prepared for south america in 4 weeks!!!

:unsure:

i am keeping it free thus far though... i'am with tonic on easiest transport solution...jenolan is no go with public trans, but oberon and hamilton are achieveable...approx. $40 from syd.

if a mountains walk seems better than it is even more accessible...katoomba, wentworth falls, leura...?

no hijack or vibe kill intended azz... :innocent_n:

just spilling my mind...

x peace boys

oh!

jp's = jesus penis or flys

thats what my friends and i have started calling them...

it's more fun...obviously! :lol:

x peace

I am up for doing a day look around Katoomba or something. Depends what Azz wants to do. I have'nt heard from him lately so am not sure if the camp is still happening? Could be a cheaper alternative? I know of a spot in Katoomba that apparently has some interesting fungus from year to year. I believe the weather up there is cooling a fair bit. I will be up there next weekend so will let everyone know how the weather is looking and if I spot anything interesting. I am not particually versed in mycolgy though so.....

Get back to us Azz mate.

Sorry fellas, I can't make Oberon anymore. A massive workload just fell in my lap over the last two weeks... I can see that you've noticed I haven't been around for a while! I could probably fit in a day trip...?

I'm generally up wentworth falls/leura way fortnightly regardless, so I'm happy to go just a bit further up to Katoomba for a hunt.

I am keen to do a day or a few hours or so if you're up that way, around Katoomba for sure. Keep it the same weekend? Cruise around and have a look. Even if it's just myself, Azz and anyone else who shows up really, something to do :lol:

Let us know what you think.

pine plantations are the spots to find jp's and milk caps - hamilton, jenolan, vulcan.

these are obvious on most maps and stick out like a sore thumb when yr nearby.

there are white muscarias popping up around here so according to yr hypothosis azz, the mountains..?

as for the silly fungi maybe some mountain crawlers can advise us as to which is better, sandy euc soils or the piney dirt?

i've unfortunately dropped to 60% in making it to this one (i know i suck) as i have recently become aware that i am quite under prepared for south america in 4 weeks!!!

:unsure:

i am keeping it free thus far though... i'am with tonic on easiest transport solution...jenolan is no go with public trans, but oberon and hamilton are achieveable...approx. $40 from syd.

if a mountains walk seems better than it is even more accessible...katoomba, wentworth falls, leura...?

no hijack or vibe kill intended azz... :innocent_n:

just spilling my mind...

x peace boys

Hello enchanted ones, i'd be more inclined on a day trip also. Wouldn't mind having a chat with you Husk about your up coming trip to the jungle lands. Do you still plan on being around Peru in August? I'm still a fair way off booking my trip and figuring out all the details but would love to hear of your plans and findings.

Ok, well I've come up with a plan, but it will require me to run it by my mate who lives in wentworth falls - as the plan involves using his house as a place to cook up the edible mushrooms picked before going on a bushwalk!

Basically it goes like this, let me know what you guys reckon:

Get up to his place at Wentworth Falls early-ish on a saturday (maybe even this saturday?), drive out to Oberon (its only an hour-ish from Wenty) and pick some goodies. We'll get back to his place in the afternoon, cook them up, then go for a bushwalk in twilight.

Or even just drive up to Katoomba and go picking there... All depends on my buddy!