The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Conan Troutman

Pedro pup

This is a piece of snapped pedro that has been laying unplanted is semi dark for few months. The pup at the top is rooting quite well. What would chances of survival be if i tried removing and rooting it separately?

post-1069-1175754083_thumb.jpg

I would say a v.good chance. But it will grow slowly and have a good chance of elongation.. If you do so be sure not too have it in much sun..

Why don't you want to plant the stump? hungry?

Holy shit dude - never seen a pedro pup form roots that well!! I have very little doubt it wouldnt survive, tho it might be worth keeping it on the mother till it gets a bit more length for extra precaution - but I think its saying its ready :P

i reckon it'd go great guns (with a bit of tlc)

If it has roots [which it does, vigorous ones to be sure], plant it. :wink:

Dodie- Just lazy...got 6 more that need to be potted :slap:

Seems to be quite vigorous, I've seen it before but the roots usually dry up and die. Will give it a go anyway, cheers guys..

Yeah it'll grow. Those things make good graft stocks. I've done it before. It will be skinny for a long time though.

Yeah it'll grow. Those things make good graft stocks. I've done it before. It will be skinny for a long time though.

It will be skinny for a long time though.

Exactly why I would leave it alone

Hey Conan Troutman, i also have an couple of pedro stumps that have been laying around in my room for a while and have devloped little baby pups like yours complete with their own roots, what i normally do with them is what everyone has been suggesting, let them grow a while whilst on the stump and then once about 10 - 15 cm in height i detatch them and root them on their own, the longer you leave them to grow on the stump the faster they will take off once you put them on their own roots, as the more photosynthetic capability the pup will have to turn sunlight into new growth. Hope this helps, peace.

Why do you think this would make any difference in photosynthesis?

More area of plant to take in light : more energy

Plants photosynthesize however small they are, and plants do this relative to their size so I think that is irrelevant.

I know bugger all about growing cactus beyond the obvious...which is why I'm reading here, a kind soul is donating some cuts to the cause :). I can see both sides of the story with the size of pup - photosynthesis - growth thing... my typically gemini middle of the road response is that plants will, if other requirements are met, photosynthesise as much as they need to for the size they are. But.... being fractal in their development, plant "mass" might not change much over time (in proportion to size that is)..but the space they are taking up, their size, increases exponentially with time. A one foot tall plant , planted from a pot into the ground, will be a one metre tall plant a lot quicker than the same plant being planted in the ground as a seedling a few inches tall.(assuming stress is kept to reasonable levels during transplanting etc).Though that is not just a photosynthetic thing. Depends on where you want to do your waiting really, stage A or stage B... but the bigger something is, the quicker it "bulks up" (visually)... it was bigger to start with! :D If it's happy where it is now, will slowing it down for however long a cactus takes to get over something that just to make it happy somewhere else, make anything any easier?Can you kind of aerial layer it to smooth the transition from piggyback to pot?Baffled by these spiky critters :D

happy chocolate cactus day

GD

The pup has roots, it needs no aerial layering. Stop confusing the poor guy. He's either going to have to sever and plant or leave it. I choose the former. Now he is in the same place where he started i.e not knowing whether to leave or cut, so yeah.

Just plant the pup.

lol yeah KISS wherever possible. Just wasn't sure if these things stress balls out when you move em around, thinkin getting it outrooted into some medium before shifting might help withthat. As I said, as a cactus grower I know a lot about brain surgery haha.

My theory with plants and life in general tends to be "time to wonder, time to act", so quicker it's in "new shoes" quicker it can set about stacking on weight I guess.

would there be a market in rubber training cactii? :P

GD

I reckon that would make a damn fine grafting stock. Possibly for one of your lovely loph pups CT :wink: