The Corroboree
Siggor

spearfishing

i brought gear today to go spearfishing 1st time snorkling and such, but ended up losing my flippers and spear, a blue bottle wrapped around my neck face and shoulder, it was awesome till i ran into that prob, go the hang of it pretty quick, anybody else have an interest in it? or had any great success with it?

Bummer that you lost your gear ! sorry to hear. Yeah I used to go heaps a while back. I still have my spear and that somewhere....God knows where. I found it fun and caught heaps more fish than I would have fishing :)

snorkling's the shit

edit: usually like just floating through and checking out the underwater world rather than spearing stuff.

i get too paranoid if i'm killing things, that karma's gonna get me and something big will come along and kill me :unsure:

Edited by paradox604

^ yeah, same here. i love snorkling, it's like a whole other world down there :blink:

But i wouldn't like to shoot stuff, a)because i'm shit scared ov sharks, so i don't want any blood in the water around me, b)because i don't really like fish that much....crayfish or lobsters would be a different story though & c)the wife wouldn't trust me enough to own any kind ov gun :rolleyes:

I used to be mad keen into spearfishing. Have two rubber band guns, one pneumatic gun and two hand spears. It requires a lot of dedication and skill if you are going to catch anything. For starters smokers need not apply, as unless you can hold your breath for well over a minute you are unlikely to catch anything.

I could let you in on a few great spots around SE QLD. The best is probably Amity Point on North Stradbroke Island. There is a nice slice of reef there with some beautiful fish and corals. Used to be in a spearfishing club in highschool and nearly always caught some spectacular fish. Some big enough to make you bare foot waterski. The only down side of Amity is sharks there are lots of them. Nearly everytime you get a fish within 20 seconds a few wobeggong sharks will come in to have a look and try to steal it from you. There are also plenty of bull sharks there but thankfully never encountered them, although a silly mormon girl got eaten by bull sharks there last year.

The craziest but most productive thing is to spearfish at night. You can basically only see 2 meters in front of you and all around is pitch black. Huge adrenalin rush everytime you see a shadow. Lobsters and octopus are easy to catch at night.

Used to go with my dad spearfishing and using those handheld spears for sharks using 303, 223 or .410-bore shells and scuba gear but that was outlawed a long time ago. you coould really feel the shcokwave.

He said he saw a 12-gauge bang-stick blow a bullshark in 1/2 but the shockwaves fucked wiht him for months and left him with ear damage. (better, however, than getting eaten.

Edited by AndyAmine.

I used to be mad keen into spearfishing. Have two rubber band guns, one pneumatic gun and two hand spears. It requires a lot of dedication and skill if you are going to catch anything. For starters smokers need not apply, as unless you can hold your breath for well over a minute you are unlikely to catch anything.

I could let you in on a few great spots around SE QLD. The best is probably Amity Point on North Stradbroke Island. There is a nice slice of reef there with some beautiful fish and corals. Used to be in a spearfishing club in highschool and nearly always caught some spectacular fish. Some big enough to make you bare foot waterski. The only down side of Amity is sharks there are lots of them. Nearly everytime you get a fish within 20 seconds a few wobeggong sharks will come in to have a look and try to steal it from you. There are also plenty of bull sharks there but thankfully never encountered them, although a silly mormon girl got eaten by bull sharks there last year.

The craziest but most productive thing is to spearfish at night. You can basically only see 2 meters in front of you and all around is pitch black. Huge adrenalin rush everytime you see a shadow. Lobsters and octopus are easy to catch at night.

it was gods way of showing the mormon girl was on the wrong track. LOL. yeah not to keen on sharks know of any safe places to do it? what about morton?

I have to say IMHO killing anything you are not going to eat is pretty lame and fucked.

Moreton Island is about as safe/unsafe shark wise as Amity Pt. Especially Bulwer and Cape Moreton. Some Australian record tiger sharks have been caught there. After all there used to be a whaling station there.

A good easily accessible place that is relatively safe is off Shelly Beach at Caloundra. Off Noosa NP and Pt Cartwright at Mooloolaba are great too. In calmer weather Coolum headland can be good too.

If your refering to me, I agree. I was talking about my old mans hobby not mine.

ive always been keep to try spear fishing, but when one stands in shallow and waits with a hand made spear, to catch a fish to eat that night. oneday ill be camping near a stream like that and ill be cheering LOL

my hats off to those that go diving to spear fish LOL that would be intense!

much as i like lobster, i think i'd rather pay for one than take that kind ov rush :wink:

I actually cannot understand why it is illegal to spearfish in freshwater. I used to catch swimmer crabs whilst fishing at the beach by looking for them under the sand then spearing them if they big enough.