The Corroboree
Coschi

Cannabis harvesting

Hey guys, a friend overseas sent me a few pics of his mj, he wanted a bit of advice on the steps to take to harvest properly and get the nicest smoke out of his bud. Harvest is probably about a month away..

Firstly, how to know exactly when to harvest?

Secondly, some questions:

He's heard that 'flushing' is done to rid the plans of unused foods and minerals inside the plant material.. how is this done?

Manicuring and drying seems straight forward enough...

What about curing? What exactly is this and how is this done?

I'm aware the net is probably full of this information but I only have a work PC and logs showing loads of cannabis related searches may not be the smartest thing.. plus i cannot recall seeing such a thread, and this would be a good addition to the SAB arsenal of information :lol:

Anyway, here's a few pics of the girl in her current state, fattening up every day!

img0058rr7.jpg

img0061jq0.jpg

Sphinx, you certainly do have a few interesting overseas mates! Lucky, lucky buggers!! :P

I have never grown anything of the sort, but have a few books at home which I love to have a flip through, in the hope that one day she is legalised...

As for time of harvest, it is recommended that its done as the trichomes (the resin glands, clearly seen in the closeup of the flower) begin to shrivel up. They turn from their current green colour to a golden colour, then a dark brown. You want to harvest when it reaches a nice golden colour. This apparently has the finest combo of cannabinoids. Earlier harvest will result in a much more energetic high, later will give a stonier high. I think the earlier would be nicer IMO...

Flushing - not really neccessary for bush - moreso for hydro. It is done by using plain distilled water for a week/two brfore harvest to 'flush' chemical/heavy metal buildup. Probably not needed, but might improve the quality somewhat.

Curing, AFAIK, is done by drying the buds in a dark well ventilated area, usually hanging upside down. This will drain them of the chlorophyl and produce a much smoother smoke. I am quite sure the longer the curing, the finer the end result. After it is completely dry, store in a cardboard box or similar away from moisture.

Hope that helps - man I know so much about these things, just cant wait till the day I am lucky enough to try my hand at it. LEGALISE!!! :BANGHEAD2:

BTW, that is one mighty fine specimen there - should produce many fine experiences!! Remember - be patient after harvest - let it age like a fine wine, sample the way through to perfection - there is supposedly a significant difference as it cures...

Wow pretty!

Edited by foolsbreath

Alright! Some good information there guys i'll be certain to pass it on!

And yes Ace, I have some very lucky friends :)

I've heard flushing gives a much nicer tasting smoke, so i'm sure my buddy :lol: would like to give this a shot

So for two weeks before harvest (say when 2/5 of the pistils (hairs?) are red) then pull the plant out of the soil, shake soil off (maybe not necessary) and support in a bucket of water (replacing water twice a day) for the next two weeks? wow

Now i'm assuming a lot of the leaves will start turning yellow, my friend intends to have a cookie party and was hoping to use all the leaf for the cookies... is this leaf still good to use or should most of the leaf be picked at the start of flushing?

I've heard drying the plant upside down from the roots is a good way to ensure all the THC reaches the buds... is this true?

How long should the curing process last?

:lol: :lol: :lol: thanks guys

Umm, I dont think you get the flushing bit - you keep it in the soil/growing medium, but instead of using ferts/growing aids, just use plain water. This simply avoids excess intake of nasties and gets a chance to use the stored ones up.

Take out of soil/medium when you harvest. 2/5ths would be good - yellowing leaves should be fine. But when it dries/cures, they shouldnt yellow - they should just fade and brown if anything, but I really dont know for sure (like I said - never been lucky enough to try this... :(). I think yellow leaves are a sign of deficiency whilst living and are generally not used. Only green growth is ideal, afaik.

As for the THC running to the buds - AFIAK, that is a load of bollocks. The THC is actually formed in the resin glands and will stay there (unless the buds are shaken, where they will fall. This fallen material is pretty much pure hash - and is actually obtained by shaking buds over a silk screen, and cleaned using various methods). THC isnt produced in copius (if at all) amounts anywhere else on the plant. Leaves are active, mostly due to the fallen trichomes on the surface. I'm sure there would be a bit of THC too, but not as much as the buds, which is why theyre used.

Curing would last about 2-4 weeks, give or take, AFAIK. The longer the better, as previously said.

Good luck champ!

hey wow something i can help with lol

Flushing i think only applies to hydro just to get rid of excess chemical metal build up etc.. Basically makes the smoke a hell of a lot smoother so ive been told.

Drying and curing remember this takes time weeks sometime months.. You can either hang or just lay flat and turn once a day. My friend has done both some ppl swear by hanging it others by laying it flat personal preference i think. Make sure the room is well ventilated not to hot not to cold. Too much humidity and you run the chance of mould you do not want this. it spreads very very quick and you can lose the whole lot. Anyway my friend gets the buds to a point where their not to dry when you squeeze them they should bounce back takes a week to 2 weeks.

Then place buds in airtight jars in a dark place bringing them out once a day to air them then replace in jars. Then once every 2 days the 3 days you get the picture. After a couple of weeks they should be smelling quite fruity mmmm you are done. happy smoking.

Cooking the leaf should be fine my friend does this after every pick can be very powerful hehehehhe. Just make cannabutter it is the easiest and most tastiest way so ive heard.

Good luck

happy picking

goldfinger

Everyone is pretty spot on with what they have said here..

Ill add my bit :):bong:

Flushing a plant thats outdoors in a pot is still recomended, as salts can eaily accumulate in pots.. in the ground i wouldnt think its needed. Just water with no ferts for the last 3-2 weeks before prime harvest time.

Foolsbreath mentioned 50% of pistil colour change, this can misguide your peak prime harvest with some varities. Some varities including some long flowering sativa will continue to grow alot more flower after 50% brown pisitls. the 50% rule is a good way to predict harvest time but not the best.... of course, it all depends how anal you wanna be with your plant... And im as anal as they come. 80% for me, but ill use a mic as ill discuss below... You will aslo notice some of the larger fan leaves yellow off and maybe even drop off. This is a good sign that the plant is later in its maturity and it had little or no food left in the root system, so it uses its energy and food stored in those ol fan leaves.

For more accurate determination of peak thc take note of Aces method. I prefer using a 60-100X LED microscope(or loupe). The microscope was the best pressie i got myself ever it allows you to keep a close eye on your peak THC period. Within days you will notice changes in trichome sizes, colours and opacity. All strains are different in ripening time, and speed just need to watch and learn.. :) I picked up my LED microscope off ebay in the UK, only cost me 18 aussie bucks landed. Kick ass.

Drying, ok, cool and NO heat above room temp. Remember that smell you get from good pot is those lovely turpines and aromatics actually becoming volatile at room temp. Therefore, you dont wanna raise the heat any more than possible. Raised heat=loss of flavour and high sugar levels in the final product. It prevents the fermentation happening once the cell walls are crisped close.

Dry for 4-10 days depending on humidity and temp. Dry till your head leaf or the exterior and part way in the flower of the medium sized bud just goes crunchy.

How you trim up your plant is a matter of preferance... and sometimes how much you have to trim!

Some like to cut and hang the whole plant, some like to hang flowers with head leaf intact, the headleaf hanging over the flower to protect trichomes and cause slower drying. Some cut all headleaf off while wet, hanging the flowers on line to dry, and some chuck the flowers chunked up on a screen to dry. This last one generally causes massive loss of trichomes and far too quick drying. NEVER use a dehydrator or force dry!! Its a waste of time and youll just ruin mother natures great work!

Curing. Geez, i could rant all day, but again Foolsbreath had got it pretty right. Curing caused the slow fermentation of the sugars and chlorophyll which in turn gives a far superior smooth smoke, full of flavour and no veggie(chlorophyll) taste. When the flowers are almost dry, and the stem is still a tiny little moist, its a good time to transfer to glass jars or decore food container or similar. Glass is best, as it doesnt interfere with flavour. Put flowers into said continer for a day or two, then gently spread them out on some newspaper or similar to air dry again of a day. Repeat this process untill the flowers have taken on an even moisture consistency from stem to flower tip, just near prime smokability. They will smell a little weird around now, a little like musty weedy ammonium, thats cool, it will pass later in the curing process. Its just the sugars fermenting. Within a week or three the main curing phase will have taken place. Great for most peeps now or you can keep on curing...

Repackage the flowers in air tight conatiners and open once a week to air and give them a gentile move around. Dont bash em around tho :)

Around 3-4 months after harvest you cured flowers will be prime, i garuuunteee.

There is a million ways to go about it all, and everyone has their own method, mine is quite anal as a mentioned... but its worth it

Edited by BlackDragon

Wow you guys certainly seem to know your shit! :worship:

unfortunately i do not.. but i am certainly learning thanks to all you helpful fellows! Cheers cheers.gif

I will pass on the message, and what you have said will be done

Will keep you updated :)

Good god BD - that sounds utterly TANTALISING!!! Damn I'd love to try that! Shinx, without a doubt, tell your mate to use this method! Mmmm, mmm, mMMMmm!! :drool2::bong:

B) Glad I could help :) i re-read my last post and it almost made me dribble too!! :drool2:

Its not just a plant... treated right the final product will rival ANY vintage wine in its flavors and complexities.

Ooooh yeah.

You've got one very lucky mate there Sphinx!! :drool2::drool2:

I bet she'd be smellin' good right about now...

How do the trichomes look atm? Still white and clear or are they starting to brown? Many of em?

Maybe about 15% are not white... still a few weeks i think

She smells gorgeous! My friend was cuddling her last night and can still smell her on him :lol:

As previously discussed, I'd think about 50-50 gold/clear trichomes, AFAIK, this will result in a fairly decent result. If you harvest earlier, its meant to give a better head high - much more energetic, if you harvest later, it'll be a more stony high.

Personally, I'd harvest one cola now, the majority at 50-50 and then one at 90-10, thus giving a few different buds from the same bush. Find which one seems best for your buddy and tell him to harvest the lot at that point next time. Just my thoughts :)

That's a good idea ace :) will definitely pass that info on

Just don't want to harvest until the time is 'right' but how would he know ? I guess this approach is a good way to go..

My thought exactly - and that way he will have plenty of variety in his crop, and no doubt plenty of pleasant times!! :lol:

could you please stop calling it mj?

Marijuana is a term invented by evil cia/fbi agents...

it's

cannabis

could you please stop calling it mj?

Marijuana is a term invented by evil cia/fbi agents...

it's

cannabis

I thought it refered to Mary Jane... :blink:

I thought the Mexicans brought the term marihuana across the US border, and its name changed to marijuana - its only a common name, no different to San Pedro. The name cannabis simply comes from its botanical name, and can also be used, afaik, both names are generally used and have little if anything to do with the evil cia/fbi agents :P

My pleasure :) my pleasure indeed :lol:

Erm.. ha! Ctrl + F finds two 'mj', the first line i wrote, and your post Gom :) if you're referring to the naming of the files; i only have access to one pooter and it's my work pooter, so rather than have a file called cannabis_good_bigbig_yes.jpg, mj_385925.jpg at least helps maintain my efforts to remain under the radar (although i am screwed if they ever check my explorer logs!) :lol:

I tend to refer to it as dope, but as time has passed and i have become more exposed to many more drugs dope actually refers to all of them

So the above is my bud :)

Gom, not taking the piss :wink:

Edited by Sphinx