The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
obtuse

Andrographis Paniculata

Hi,

Does any one know much about these plants. I recieved some seeds a while ago and have had some in a couple of pots to germinate but they are taking forever.

I have used the search engine and google, maybe not extensively enough, heaps on its healing properties but only a little about growing it.

I read somewhere they remain dormant for a while and am wondering if this is why i have had problems.

Any tips or tricks to get these things started. I realise it might be a bit late in the season to get them going.

any help appreciated.

Cheers, Obtuse

Yeah I do seem to remember they took a while, like 2 weeks I think. I wouldnt plant them very deep.

I kept bad (well... no) records last year :lol:

I'm growing it again this year, and its just about its turn to be planted... I'll put some (from the same batch if you got yours from AFSR) in the soil and report back on germination time :)

Hi Auxin,

Thanks for the reply, but did you mean 2 months instead of 2 weeks. :blink:

Yeah mine are from the AFSR.

I have had one lot going for about 6 weeks and the other 4 weeks, first lot just below the surface, and the second lot a bit deeper. On inspection they look like they are about to do something, but nothing happening yet :scratchhead:

and, What sort of soil are you using?

cheers, Obtuse

:blink: Two months seems a bit excessive.

Last year I started them in peat, and it was about this time of year so around 22° day, 15° night temps. This time 'round I'm trying them in normal potting soil barely covered in dirt in little 'craters' (a habit of mine) since I only like to use peat for tiny seed. Just now planted 15, about 6 weeks to my transplant date, I sure hope they dont take 2 months

:scratchhead: well the first sprouted within the last few days... nearly two months :blink:

I dont remember it taking that long last time. But hmm, a year before that I tried to grow some and failed. Maby I didnt wait long enough that time and 2-3 months is normal.

Well done Auxin.

Tell me, What type of soil are you using? Did you water often?

And can you supply i pic of your seedling? I think i might have one - but i don't know.

These seem to be very difficult to germinate. I was wondering if they needed to go through a cold patch before they germinate.

Glad to know you have had some luck with em.

cheers, Obtuse

Roundish cotylodons, pubescent everything, what appears to be lil balls of resin on the ends of the hairs.

100_1881.JPG

I followed my default planting technique for medium size seed- in a 8 oz yogurt cup with drain holes cut in the bottom I put in normal potting soil and made indentations in the surface, put a seed in each indentation, and covered with just a bit of soil, then I put half a glass petri dish over the top and set the pot in the other half and watered as needed by misting the top and watering from the bottom when more water was needed. I plant them in indentations like that so when they sprout I can fill the indentation with soil and they instantly have 1/2 cm more of support. The potting soil is no specific brand, every year I get some of whatever brand seems good and when its used I wash out the salts and mix it with the soil from all previous years and use that for seedlings and peppers and such. The glass petri dishes I use because I helped out a buddy do inventory in his microbio facility and he gave me 3 full cases of the things :lol: its just to reduce evap, any transparent cover would work.

Edit: oh yeah, a month ago I gave them smoke hormone- it didnt help. No surprise there, these are planted in the fields as seed right after monsoon... I dont figure there would be many wildfires after monsoon... and since its from india I'm not sure if cold treatment would help or not, I didnt try.

Edited by Auxin

Takes very long to germinate for an annual herb. Well, but it´s definately worth it. What a Sweet Seedling! bye Eg

Does anyone still have Andrographis going? And is there seed circulating or am i better off importing some?

I'll have a look shortly, you may be in luck. ... but then you may not.

Takes very long to germinate for an annual herb. Well, but it´s definately worth it. What a Sweet Seedling! bye Eg

As shown in my 6 year old posts above, fresh seed sown into soil can often take 2 months to sprout.

More recently I put a bit of wet filter paper in a petri dish, put 3.5 year old seed on, and stuck the thing near a grow light. Sprouts within 6 days and 100% germination (50 out of 50 seeds) within 2 weeks.

So either they are strongly light dependent germinators or they have a sprout inhibitor that deteriorates with age.