The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
immanuel

Another Acacia ID Thread.

Question

I was looking at the a. maidenii's in my street today and noticed a few which were different from the others. These ones had much thicker trunks than the others, at first I thought it was age difference but some maidenii's which were enormously tall still had trunks much thinner than this one. I then examined the leaves and found they were slightly more obtuse than the maidenii and fairly thicker. Here are some photo's which may hopefully help you to ID it.

Tree 1:

u1nx7.th.jpg

u2ev4.th.jpg

u3ay1.th.jpg

u4vi4.th.jpg

u5ql9.th.jpg

u6iw4.th.jpg

14 answers to this question

Tree 2: (The leaves on this are very strange, it is only since it had flowers exactly the same as a maidenii i took some shots)

p1020114ra2.th.jpg

p1020115jt0.th.jpg

p1020116or3.th.jpg

p1020118yu7.th.jpg

p1020120tr5.th.jpg

Thanks for the help!!!

Regarding number 2. It looks like a A.Longifolia not sure subspecies, tho i'm not 100%.

Have a look at these.

A.Longifolia.

Acacia_longifolia%20ssp%20longifolia_02.jpg

A.Longifolia.

Acacia_longifolia%20ssp%20sophorae_01_coast%20wattle.jpg

Edited by Hellonasty

Hmm, it does seem to resemble the longifolia, I will start doing some research on it. I am just skeptical of the flowers, the flowers in your photo look alot different to the ones in the second photo of tree two.

Edited by mardybum

I agree that it does look a lot like A. longifolia but it reminds me alot of another species, can you get some pics of the flowers posted. That would be very helpful.

Hellonasty your second pic looks alot more like Acacia longifolia var. sophorae

Ok, I will try to get some of the flowers. They are up very high though. Ill post the best pics I can get of the flowers tommorrow.

Edited by mardybum

I agree that it does look a lot like A. longifolia but it reminds me alot of another species, can you get some pics of the flowers posted. That would be very helpful.

Hellonasty your second pic looks alot more like Acacia longifolia var. sophorae

Yeah it is mate, check file name in the link. Just throwing a few ideas around.

I'm far from being an expert in accacia id but I have a go :)

Edited by Hellonasty

Yeah it is mate, check file name in the link. Just throwing a few ideas around.

I'm far from being an expert in accacia id but I have a go :)

Yeah no worries mate, I didn't see that at first. They can be a tricky genus to ID sometimes I think.

P.S: cheers for the seeds mate, will pm you soon about that, have not had any come up yet.

l1uw7.th.jpg

l2mh9.th.jpg

these were the only flowers left on the tree. seems the wind has blown them out.

Here is the same tree, (tree 2) with a few more photo's.

tree1p1jt3.th.jpg

tree1p2bs8.th.jpg

tree1p3ej0.th.jpg

tree1p4ld6.th.jpg

tree1p5ba5.th.jpg

tree1p6jn5.th.jpg

tree1p7yu7.th.jpg

tree1p8gi6.th.jpg

And here is another tree I found which I am quite sure is a longifolia. it isn't flowering but has heaps of little unflowered bud things along it's stems as would a longifolia in it's flowering time and it's leaves also resemble that of the longifolia.

tree2p1wr2.th.jpg

you see it has these things unflowered things all along the stems next to the leaves and lots of them.

tree2p2gb9.th.jpg

tree2p3qo0.th.jpg

tree2p4wa9.th.jpg

This is strange one. I not 100% convinced that it is A. maidenii the phyllodes seem to be too wide. Flower looks similiar but hard to tell as they are either opening or deteriorating in the pics. It may very well be an out of area species. Is it a planted specimen? In the bush or is it remnant bush? Most Acacia spp. are short lived, so may not be remnant.

Reminds me alot of A. melanoxylon but the flowers are all wrong. Pretty sure it's not A. maidenii.

This one is a tricky one. I would leave it alone unlesss you are positive in the ID or you can get a positive ID which can be difficult from pictures alone.

:blink:

tree2p1wr2.th.jpg

That is definitely Acacia longifolia.

Edited by tonic

EDIT: For some reason when I made this post your previous post hadn't appeared. Strange. Anyways, I only made this in reply to your one saying it is confusing, not the one saying the third tree was definately longifolia.

This is strange one. I not 100% convinced that it is A. maidenii the phyllodes seem to be too wide. Flower looks similiar but hard to tell as they are either opening or deteriorating in the pics. It may very well be an out of area species. Is it a planted specimen? In the bush or is it remnant bush? Most Acacia spp. are short lived, so may not be remnant.

Reminds me alot of A. melanoxylon but the flowers are all wrong. Pretty sure it's not A. maidenii.

This one is a tricky one. I would leave it alone unlesss you are positive in the ID or you can get a positive ID which can be difficult from pictures alone.

:blink:

My very first post with pictures, (Tree 1) I didn't think to ba A. Maidenii because it's leaves didn't hang. My second post with pictures, (Tree 2) also didn't resemble A Maidenii because of it's leaves but it's flowers did. My third and fourth post with pictures (Tree 2), I was just getting closer photo's of the flowers and the leaves. And my fifth post (Tree 3), I thought resembled Longifolia.

The trees which I think are a. maidenii's have much thinner and pointed leaves which droop down or hang. The bark is alot darked and deeply fissured. These ones have much thicker and more obtuse leaves, the bark is brighter and is lightly fissured on the trunk gradually growing smooth as it reaches where the branches come out. I am pretty sure it's planted, as it's along a roadside. But i's still in bush with lots of other trees.

In this picture (Tree 3):

http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tree2p2gb9.jpg

The leaves resemble longifolia and the amount of flowers (unopened) along it also would too. Is there a reason why this would not be a longifolia or should I watch out for when it flowers and would be more easily IDed. The unopened flowers on this tree look alot different to the ones on tree 2, maybe because they are younger, I don't know.

Also here:

http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1020118yu7.jpg

You can see how the leaves appear when they sprout, much different to the way A. Maidenii leaves sprout. There are a few small detail which I can use to tell the difference between maidenii's and this one, mainly the leaves. The leaves on Maidenii's seem to droop or hang downwards and these ones stick out or upwards. I have no ideas att all to what this could be, only took a photo cause of the similar flowers.

Edited by mardybum

tree2p1wr2.th.jpg

That is definitely Acacia longifolia.

Ahh, thanks for confirming that! I expected it to be, but it's just i'd done minimal research on the longifolia, only few photo comparisons. Many Thanks.

Edited by mardybum