The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Coschi

Another Acacia ID Please

Question

I left the pictures big to help in ID

FYI the edges of the phyllodes are rough and seem to have a tiny globs of resin, this is characteristic of a.obtusifolia but who knows it could be anything.

picture014zb9.th.jpg

picture015ct0.th.jpg

picture017fq0.th.jpg

picture018ae0.th.jpg

5 answers to this question

It's difficult with such little information on the plant itself and of the location.

Possibly A. longifolia? ... or a long shot, maybe A. verniciflua?

Bah I wish I was better at Eucalyptus Id.

Sphinx,

I don't think that is A.Obtusifolia. It is kinda hard to tell from the pictures.

Where did you find it ?

possibly a A.Longiolia Spp Longifolia. Not sure tho.

Edit; whoops sorry gerbil didn't see ya post mate

Edited by Hellonasty

Hmm what makes you think it's not obtusifolia?

This was about half an hour east of orbost, a place called Bellbird Creek

The leaves aernt very obtuse Sphinx and the red stems also, make me think it is another species altogether.

I've had a look through some vague species lists of the supposed occurring vegetation communities existing within the area you spoke of sphinx, however the community and the species list are not solid and quite a general guide.

The only Acacia listed with possible similar characteristics was A.verniciflua which is a very variable species. Other than that it could have been a local species not listed, else a 'weed' native.

My interpretation of obtusifolia has only been with books, pictures, seedlings and young plants, so it's doing my head in LOL as there are some characteristics that seem obtusifolia like. The margins seem kind of similar with the roughness and the extra bit as you said it feels resinous, but as said it's hard to tell from the photo. Also the stem colouration seems similar to a stunted obtuse young plant i'm growing, but then again Acacias are very variable and can be difficult to work with.

I'm intrigued by this tree, more so just trying to practice my ID hehe :)

It would be beneficial for much more detailed written information, clear detailed photos, and even better photos whilst in flower if/when possible.

it feels kind of longifolia to me, but the leaf margins are playing with my head a bit as they seem moreso rough and jutty and not smoothed. Given longifolia spreads along the coast near there, it's highly likely it's come a little inland, but bellbird must be getting close to the coast i'd imagine???

oh and the Euc Id wasn't too bad lol guessed the group they were in before checking the lit., pfft species hehe :P

Edited by gerbil