paradox

anyone know which datura species?

Question

sorry, no close ups!

med_gallery_2376_2_153776.jpg

Edited by paradox604

Umm.. ?

tis pretty hard to see any detail

i was going to go back and get some better photo's but the plant was really lush after all the rain it'd had and then there were a couple of really hot days and it shrivelled up and is pretty much dead!

looks like stramonium

Guarantee Stramonium - had a heap of it pop up in the ACT over summer - looks identical to some that I harvested seed from. Not very good for the cattle in the background!

It is a rather nasty noxious weed spread across Oz and no doubt many other parts of the globe...

Yeppers Stramonium.

Interesting how the stems are green. I found a patch of these a couple of months ago. There were 2 clumps growing near each other and one lot had green stems and pure white flowers like the ones pictured, the next clump had the purplish stems and had flowers with a purplish throat.

They would have to be the same variety growing so close together, but what causes the difference in colour? The clumps weren't more than 4 meters apart.

funnily enough i often see datura plants and morning glorys as well in this one paddock, so many psychoactive plants in such little space :P there could have even been phalaris grass and some acacias around the place too. guess the life of a cow is one big party :)

Prolly a heap of cubies and pans too! What a magical field :lol:

The field of dreams!

Yeppers Stramonium.

Interesting how the stems are green. I found a patch of these a couple of months ago. There were 2 clumps growing near each other and one lot had green stems and pure white flowers like the ones pictured, the next clump had the purplish stems and had flowers with a purplish throat.

They would have to be the same variety growing so close together, but what causes the difference in colour? The clumps weren't more than 4 meters apart.

Datura stramonium var tatula, although I didn't know it grew wild.

lol classic photo of what our society classes a 'noxious weed', mooooo

thanks people!

i thought it was stromonium, it's just that most pics of stromonium i've seen have that purple thing goin on and this one obviously doesn't!

Edited by paradox

Datura stramonium var tatula, although I didn't know it grew wild.

What makes you think its var tatula? Unfortunately this pic isnt as up close as it would be needed for a 100% correct ID, but the only real difference between the plain old Stramonium and stramonium var tatula appears to be the flowers. The flowers of tatula have a somewhat spunout look to them with a bit of purple thru them. This looks like a run of the mill stramonium that has been rained on or is wilting slightly from a bit of excessive heat, and the flowers are in a 'nodding' position, whereas the daturas always have the flowers in an 'upright' possie.

BTW, I have before me a Library copy of 'Brugmansia and Datura - Angels Trumpets and Thorn Apples' by Ulrike and Hans-Georg Preissel that I picked up last nite and have been studying madly :P. I am using this as an ID reference atm :)

Truly awesome book for the Brug/Datura collector - stunning pics, IDs for wild plants, cultivation notes, how to cross breed different sub species - well worth a read if you can score a copy!

Ok after checking the keys at Erowid it seems the purplish Datura growing wild near me is Datura Stramonium var bernhardii.

The purpling is way to pronounced to be tatula, yet the flowers don't have the violet tinge but rather a mottled purple throat on the inside and outside and other wise white.

I'll try and get some pics this arvo.

What makes you think its var tatula?

I think Apoth was talking about the puplish Datura I found not the ones in the pic.

There are a couple of differences between plain old Stramonium and stramonium var tatula according to the keys at Erowid.

Tatula has a slight purplish tinge to the stems and violet coloured flowers.

The ones in the pic are plain old stramonium :)

sorry, thats a my bad :P should have read the post in more depth :)

theres nothing in the book about var bernhardii - never heard of it? Any pics you could post?

Actually I miss labeled the bernhardii, its actually Datura stramonium var tatula form bernhardii.

I didn't realise there were so many varieties of Datura, must went cross eyed :blink:

Not sure if I am allowed to use the pics from another site without permission so I'll do one better, link to the page with the pics :)

Classification Key for the Genus Datura - Datura stramonium

It looks like bernhardii is the common form of Datura, at least arround here.

Harry - please post a pic of your bernhardi. It's not very common and I am not aware of it having escaped in oz. Tatula v tatula is the more common weed.

paradox - the narrow flowers mean this is from the section stramonium. The white flowers [if they are indeed pure white] narrows this down to ferox or stramonium v stramonium. You'd need a pic of the pods to be certain, but the general growth habit appears more like stramonium v stramonium than ferox.

these are of the same species- different plant growing nearby.

med_gallery_2376_2_1124196.jpg

flowers are thin & close during the day! i've noticed, while seeing the plants from the road in the early morning that the flowers are still open. no photo yet but i noticed that the stigmas\stamens are yellow. the rest of the flower, pure white. absolutely no purple anywhere on the plant!

med_gallery_2376_2_572219.jpg

med_gallery_2376_2_684125.jpg

med_gallery_2376_2_51730.jpg

immature seedpod:

med_gallery_2376_2_549735.jpg

Edited by paradox604

definitely Datura stramonium v stramonium f stramonium

Here you are Torsten, some pics of what I think is the bernhardii. Camera's crap at close shots, best I could do.

Shows the deep purple stem though.

med_gallery_2785_2_119965.jpg

I laid the plant down to try and get some light on the stem to show the colour properly.

med_gallery_2785_2_152063.jpg

This shot shows leaf shape and flower colour, even though its closed you can see it has a violet tinge against the white tiles.

Whada ya reckon?

Edited by Harry

As an after though I realised that I have a 2 mature pods, 1 from each patch, that I am trying to dry for the seeds. Here a pic.

med_gallery_2785_2_24676.jpg

As you can see my camera really sux at close up shots so the image isn't focused perfectly, but you can make out how the spines are different as well as the pod shapes. The one on the left is from the bernhardii from what I can tell. Looks very similar to the pic on Erowid. I hadn't labeled them and didn't know which pod came from which patch till now.

Bernhardii is a very rare form. the tatula form can range from white tops and red throats to slightly tinged tops with even deeper red throats. It's really quite a stunning plant and looks quite different from f.tatula.

Sadly it appears what you have there is D.stramonium v tatula f tatula.

Here is a D.stramonium v tatula f bernhardii

post-6-1174070048_thumb.jpg

D_bernhardtii_Dat_coll_03.jpg

D_bernhardtii_Dat_coll_03.jpg