The Corroboree
Auxin

Entheobotanical bonsai

Khat! Especially if you give it rocky soil & full sun (+regular pruning, of course), it can be encouraged to form quite small leaves with a beautiful red-purple tinge. Might be hard to get a good thick trunk, but could be good for a forest-type arrangement?

small leafed form of erythroxylum australe looks like an excellent candidate

small leafed form of erythroxylum australe looks like an excellent candidate

I'd like to try that Rev, but it seems very hard to get any.

Isnt it all the challenge and care that makes it rewarding? If you could just spray a seedling with an enzyme to make it grow up as a bonsai they wouldnt be nearly as impressive.

Seeing as how youve been training yours for a few years I'm sure you can agree.

I just think training a bonsai can be complicated enough without adding other more complicated and technical techniques into the fray, I like things simple. Life should be simple and the things in it IMO. This is not to say that you should't do it or that it is not a good idea, I just think it would be a pain in the arse. That is just my opinion and am sure you will do what you decide you want to do in the end anyway.

:)

yeah i have read and heard about bonsai MJ plants.

you end up with one big finely crafted nugget

Most MJ forums have people who've done bonsai versions :)

Camellia sinensis-Tea plant. they grow like a bonsai on farms as they are always picking the leaves. very cool to see!

i think brug's would work great. maple trees have big leaves too but over time they shrink way down (through constant work).

Camellia sinensis-Tea plant. they grow like a bonsai on farms as they are always picking the leaves. very cool to see!

i think brug's would work great. maple trees have big leaves too but over time they shrink way down (through constant work).

Camellia are commonly used as bonsai in Asia.

Traditionally maples are used for bonsai, but they are usually smalled leaf species like Acer palmatum and Acer buergerianum. These are the most commonly used maples for bonsai culture.

Edited by tonic

Wow, Puse, they look really promising! I hope you keep at it - and I hope they form into some really old looking trees - these are certainly on their way to reaching 'bonsai-hood' :lol:

Those do look like they have potential :)

Looking good CT. I was thinking Heimia salicifolia might make a good bonsai just recently.

EDIT: How long do you think it would take to get a fat caudex like yours on a D. bosseranum CT? I have a few hundred seelings and not sure what I am going to do with them all now :rolleyes:

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

Hey Phos, can never have to much :rolleyes: Gimme bosseranum of kanna any day! The caudex forms naturally,all you have to do is gradually lift it above the ground. A 6 month old plant will have a nice fat root, the plant pictured is closer to two years old.

Edited by Conan Troutman

Myristica fragrans comes to mind..

Holy Sheep Shit :drool2: Thats pretty awesome right there, good find!

After bringing in my chopped down Leonotis leonurus plants for the winter I got to wondering, just how long do they live? :unsure: They grow a nice fat base in just the first year, even up here.. if they'll live over 5 yrs maby they could be trained as a live-fast-die-hard style bonsai?

a good mate of mine is into bonsai, ive just started some trays of Melaleuca styphelioides and M. bracteata for him, as well as some random acacias to trial. some acacias with minnie richie bark would make very cool bonsai too...

i wonder how Codonocarpus cotinifolius would go too..

13-Melaleuca-styphelioides-RH-e-137-3754_IMG.jpg

(http://www.anbg.gov.au/bonsai/bonsai-anbg-2006.html)

Edited by ferret

Ohhh, I've been waiting for a Bonsai thread to pop up!

Does anyone know of a good place to buy copper wires for training bonsai and shallow glazed pots for them also?

I havn't had much luck looking online or at nursaries.

>bump hard!

been into bonsai since the 90's

incidentally bonsai just means plant in pot but still, I found this thread searching the exact same thinking "is it only me who does this with entheos?"

I just successfully shrank both my mimosa tenuiflora tree's leaves to miniature and its only been about a month , they now resemble mimosa pudica leaves

I posted the pics in the what you did in your sacred garden thread , slowly working on one to be a dancing lady tree, the other to be more like an old pine in growth

I will be bonsai-ing any plant I touch ... I made a beautiful literati passionflower too but it died after 2 years , I still have the frame it grew round though , and it was my 2nd attempt anyway...

glad it's not just me :)

That Erythroxylum bonsai is baddass!

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ