The Corroboree
user1

isopropyl alcohol

just wondering if anybody knows an alternative to isopropyl alcohol for sterilizing surfaces in the inoculation/sterilization process, not sure where to get it. methylated spirits? normal disinfectant?

70% metho 30% water is perfect for sterilisation purposes.

Go to your local supermarket and pick up a bottle of Isocol. Its a green bottle with a cartoon croc on it. Its called rubbing alcohol and is about 65% isopropanol.

Thats what I use.

[EDIT: typos!]

Edited by Harry

Isocol smells funny so it must have a lor of other stuff in it.

Best to buy 100% iso from discksmiths, even comes in a spray bottle.

Its just some smelly stuff to mask the iso odour i think. Had no problems using it for cleaning benches, needle tips and spawn containers etc.

Didn't know about the dicksmith stuff, will check it out. Got about 4L of the stuff from an online electrical place a while ago, bit pricey for cleaning so I used the Isocol instead and saved the pure stuff for solvent. I've seen it at bunnings to, was about 80% can't remember what it was used for though.

yeah thanks guys. gives me a few more options to look at.

If you are after the medical grade Isopropyl alcohol go to a pharmacy, 500ml retails for about $25.

But I'd rather stick to what DOM said. 1 litre of metho retails for a couple of dollars. You can even put it in a spray bottle.

I'm rather intrigued though, why have the 30% water? why not 100% metho?

It has been proven that 30% water makes it more effective. I think it helps it get absorbed through the cell walls/membranes of spores/bacteria etc.

Yeah metho would be the weapon of choice. That is if your GF doesn't crack a spack at ya for the smell. Dosen't bother me but aparently she finds it unbearibley offensive. Wouldn't of thought that iso would be any better, no complaints though. Strange and mystical creatures those femme.

....why not just go get from your local Chem Supply Store......!!!! (have a look in the yellow pages....!!!!!)

...I bought a litre of isopropyl alcohol for about $20..... and I bet it's the purest your gonna find anywhere out there....!!!!!

.....I went in with cash...... and no one asked any questions......!!!!!

Yeah I believe hospitals have studied the best water/alcohol ratio and 30/70 gives the best results.

30/70 works best because it takes longer to evaporate giving the alcohol more time to steralize.

Dirty old man has it right, its to do with higher % alcohol not penetrating cell walls as effectively.

As a Note Isopropyl alcohol is more effective than Ethanol (metho) as a sterilizer but I don't think we would see much difference in our 'bucket' home chem labs. :)

:)