The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SirLSD

my leading 2 grafts for comp.

these two are my best two by far. all 4 are cardona if my labeling is correct. some other pics in my blog. both had 2 seedling grafted to them. one on each has taken off. the other two have sat dormant. have now cut the pup off the second one to graft.

hows everyone elses going?

cardona1_050307.bmp

cardona2_050307.bmp

cardona1_050307.bmp

cardona2_050307.bmp

cardona1_050307.bmp

cardona2_050307.bmp

Not so good on my front. Learning as I go.

From 8 loph scions, two look like they have taken, touch and go though. One 'texana' and one 'caespitosa' grafted to peres. Currently germinating some 'decipiens' for grafting.

Got some scopulicola x lageniformis grown from seed that I may graft soon.

How long have your grafts been on?

Edited by Kenny Blister

2 from 8 is better than ive had.

both grafted on 04/02/07 i think.

Mine haven't gone too well either. I grafted 8 or 9 Loph seedlings to peres on 4/2, two of them have definitely taken and have maybe tripled in size. They are still nowhere near as big as yours SirLSD.

The other 3 that remain alive have shrivelled a lot and haven't grown any bigger. I noticed earlier this morning what appears to be a single small root sticking out of two of the shrivelled scions so have pretty much given up hope on them.

I'll be doing some more grafts this weekend, hopefully with better results.

Mine are shrivelled too :(

Only been grafted for two weeks (texana) and a week (caespitose). At what point after grafting do they begin to fill out?

I'm not really sure how long they usually take to fill out. It was a bit over 2 weeks from memory for the 2 successful ones that I've got to show any signs of fattening up. They didn't shrivel all that much in the first place though.

a month on and my 3 grafts haven't really grown that much, one has gone a reddish colour, but i'm not wooried about that, pics to come soon

These are about 6 months old, grafted to pereskiopsis from 2 week old seedlings.

cluster1.jpg

IM000519-1.jpg

I think youd have more success grafting seedlings to pereskiopsis than san pedro, graft em on to the pereskiopsis, give em about 4 or 5 months to grow and start clustering, then slice the scion about 1/4 of the way up, leaving areoles on the grafted bottom attatched. then secure the pumped up peyote to a nice trich in active growth

These are about 6 months old, grafted to pereskiopsis from 2 week old seedlings.

cluster1.jpg

IM000519-1.jpg

biggy.jpg

I think youd have more success grafting seedlings to pereskiopsis than san pedro, graft em on to the pereskiopsis, give em about 4 or 5 months to grow and start clustering, then slice the scion about 1/4 of the way up, leaving areoles on the grafted bottom attatched. then secure the pumped up peyote to a nice trich in active growth

Ill post some of mine soon but im still grafting :) Guys not sure how many people actually decided to enter so how bout a response in THE Official threa i will start and make sticky, EBA went down but the comp can continue and some prizes will be issued according to what it said on EBA, hopefully

sweet guys

i missed the startup of the graft thread

can you post details

ive been grafting all summer and could enter some

im doing them by batches

got

v. Cardona

Koehresii

Fricii

Diffusa

Huizache

caespitosa

decipiens

las colorades

ramos arispe

texana

cuatrocienegas

cedral

mex 54

la paloma

weisse blute

with nearly 20 other seed collections ready to be grafted

and a metric shitload of 'standard' and mixed types

also doing turbinicarpus, astrophytums and other species as i go

no matter how many peres i make i can never keep up - even with multipe grafts to each peres!

im working on a 'graft pole' using koehresii- itll make a nice pic

anyone found any freaks yet?

ive had a few bifurcated seedlings and a coulpe appearing to variegate but then not

i know if i grow enough ill find a cristate or chlorophyll lacking loph

i know if i grow enough ill find a cristate or chlorophyll lacking loph

Hey Rev, I'm curious what you ment by a chlorophyll lacking loph.

Hey Rev, I'm curious what you ment by a chlorophyll lacking loph.

Mate that is the cause of variegated plants :) The yellowish looking parts are lacking Chlorophyll (it is not evenly distributed) and its commonly called

a variegated plant.

Edited by Hellonasty

Yay rev is back, hope your gonna post more now dude :D The details were at EBA, but its fucked now and I didnt keep a copy of the rules only the prizes. Essentially no grafts before 4th of feb and seeds were allowed to be sown at start of january yeah? As only me and sirlsd has actually replied in my grafting thread sticky I take this is all that are entering, Im happy to change the date as Ill be sowing and grafting all year so if its ok with sir maybe we should reschedual and start again, and this time people get ready ahead of time. Let me know what you think.

I have a loph graft that is 0.8cm and is growing a flower, unfortunatly I sowed it before the date for the peres comp lol so I cannot use it to win :D but it hasta be the smallest ever flowering loph? My leader is about 3cm.

Cheers Hellnasty, thats handy to know.

I've seen it in other plants as well. What is usually the cause?

Lack of sun or nutrients?

Cheers Hellnasty, thats handy to know.

I've seen it in other plants as well. What is usually the cause?

Lack of sun or nutrients?

As far as I know it is just a "mutation" of the plant make up, environment will have no effect on it. It is basically just a luck of the draw where something goes wrong with the cells when they are produced. Hence they are rare and therefore sought after.

As only me and sirlsd has actually replied in my grafting thread sticky I take this is all that are entering

lol, I'm in, but so far my few grafts haven't taken. Always sowing more seeds so hopefully I'll get it right and have something to enter. I do have a wierd looking loph that is growing an 'arm', but am afraid to graft it in case it meets with the same fate as the others. Could this be the bifurcation you speak of Rev? It's not exactly dividing in two though. I'm flat out atm, but will try and get a pic.

Hello all - you are certainly collecting a few nice grafts in the comp! Congrats!

Just a quick question, how are people finding the differences in grafting stocks? Is there a pattern emerging to show that peres/trichs are better for baby seedlings?

I only have a few loph seedlings and limited stock atm, and would like to give it a shot, but want to go the best method available.

Any ideas would be much appreciated :)

I've often thought about using maybe a Cylindropuntia of some sort. I've thought it might work pretty well as it has such rapid growth to establish its self well.

I'm currious to whether this is very common with grafting?

Dunno Ace, think its a good idea...?

Edited by KanJe

Im happy to change the date as Ill be sowing and grafting all year so if its ok with sir maybe we should reschedual and start again, and this time people get ready ahead of time. Let me know what you think.

i have used up all my grafting stock. even cut off boring grafts to make more stock available. if we have to start again i cant be in it. only have a couple of seeds left too. we had a month or two notice the first time.

but we could extend the rules to allow peolpe to start late and finish late? say sow 4th april and graft 4th may and measure 4th may 08. then compare to our results for the 4th feb 08.

if we keep track of the dates people start then any 12month period should be ok.

pic of two unlabeled grafts. both have taken. both pupping madly

post-117-1174803113_thumb.jpg

thats good enough for me man, there wont be a new date set for a new comp, untill next year.