The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hellonasty

Laurelia novae-zealandiae

G'day,

Anyone know much about this plant ? Only just stumbled accross it, through a mate of mine.

I don't have much info except the active is called Pukateine and it is a native of New Zealand. Pukateine is

supposed to give a Opioid like affect when ingested.

G'day,

Anyone know much about this plant ? Only just stumbled accross it, through a mate of mine.

I don't have much info except the active is called Pukateine and it is a native of New Zealand. Pukateine is

supposed to give a Opioid like affect when ingested.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?La...ovae-zealandiae

This plant is #3 on my list of species to source, but not because of it's alkaloid content. rather, have a look at it's essential oil profile :drool2:

I'm (most probably) heading over to NZ at the start of april. I'd be more than happy to hunt this plant down for you (& everyone) torsten, so long as it grows in the North Island. I'll give a buzz the week before I leave so you guys can help me identify it, and post pics to confirm. Its one of my many dreams to search for an exotic plant with little research done on it. I'm pretty sure my dad knows 1 or 2 plant brothas who can grow cuttings untill seed sets. I'll only be there for 2 weeks so I can't see to it personally. But I have faith that if I do indeed find it, all will be taken care of.

B)

onz - thanks for that. I know a couple of people who have this tree growing on their farm, but they say they could never get any seed to germinate. Apparently it does germinate VERY slowly and only after stratification. So, getting seed is only half the problem.

L.sempervirens is readily available. We'll be selling them soon as part of our safroliferous plant collection.

onz - thanks for that. I know a couple of people who have this tree growing on their farm, but they say they could never get any seed to germinate. Apparently it does germinate VERY slowly and only after stratification. So, getting seed is only half the problem.

L.sempervirens is readily available. We'll be selling them soon as part of our safroliferous plant collection.

Thanks for the info people. I can source a few plants but my mate wants a high price for em.

What is number 1 and 2 Torsten ??? And do you care to explain the oil profile ? I have no data ?

What is number 1 and 2 Torsten ???

1 - Daturicarpa elliptica

2 - Catharanthus lanceatus

And do you care to explain the oil profile ? I have no data ?

Quite a bit of essential oil which is extremely high in safrole and no other allylbenzenes. The only draw back is that this plant is extremely slow growing and [for us in the subtropics] that it likes it rather cold. I suspect that alongside it's Chilean relative it would be the perfect crop for Tasmania.

Well, I'm in NZ. And I tell ya its been one big stressful hoha getting over here. And no computer :(

At my dads work so justa quik question. If I was to find this plant. How would I go about dosage? Torsten you said the essential oil is high in safrol, anything I should worry about. Also I've had a very brief read coza not much time but does any1 know where abouts in Northland it grows? Although I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find it at a large nursery.

any input would be appreciated, thanx

if you want to consume it you shuld decide if you like safrole in your body. I personally don't have a problem with it, but some people buy into the hype.

As for dosage I have absolutely no idea as i've never looke dinto the pukateine thing.

Hi there, my seeds were dead too! Thanks for the tips concerning the stratification Torsten! bye Eg

I was refering more to pukateine, and the 'worry' part was because safrol is a maoi. But I'm guessing if there were much value in the pukateine it would have more attention.

I must add that to my surprise Kratom is quite expensive and abit hard to get in NZ. Spose I'm used to paying modest prices because of torsten and darcey. Also just found out that kratom has recently been classified in NZ as prescription only, ofcourse there are still loopholes for the plain leaf (which is what I'm after). The point is I'm frustrated. :P

Thanx for the help.

Oh and one last thing, I miss melbourne and this forum heaps! B)

I recken I'll have to come back next year, for the rainbow serpant

Quite a bit of essential oil which is extremely high in safrole and no other allylbenzenes. The only draw back is that this plant is extremely slow growing and [for us in the subtropics] that it likes it rather cold. I suspect that alongside it's Chilean relative it would be the perfect crop for Tasmania.

It would be interesting like Novae zealandiae?

http://www.chilebosque.cl/tree/lsemp.html

Greetings Friends :bong:

Hello onz, How are you going with your hunt for this plant my Friend?

Torsten, Your comments on the oil profile & species being perfect for

the Tasmanian climate grabbed my attention!

I was unaware of the rather interesting alkaloid makeup of this plant

So many thanks going your way my Friend :wink:

I would be interested in giving these plants a shot down here in tassie!

So if anyone finds themselves in a position to access some quality seed & or cuttings

I would be extremely thankfull for a parcel in the post B)

I would of course supply payment or trade,which ever is preffered :wink:

Edited by DreamingNagual

Heya Naqual. I've given up my interest in this plant. Now I'm searching for Kratom seeds, or MODEST kratom leaf prices.

However I'm quite positive I can get some Laurelia novae-zealandiae seeds from a nursery, so I'll check it out next week and send some over for ya. I'll probably let you know through this thread, coz I can't read any PM's from this computer for some reason.