The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Emu Plum pics

This is a very interesting fruit naja naja, is this the fruit from Podocarpus drounyniana?

Nice photos by the way.

there are 2 podocarpus trees fruiting right now at the japanese garden of murdoch uni campus. But I don't think they are p. drouynianus. They look a bit out of place and I think they are p. elatus. I like them, the sweetness is subtle :)

A plum with hemrhoids hehe.

What the botanical name? I got get me one of these :)

they look fascinating!

are both...errr...parts, edible?

im a bit of an exotic fruit virgin, my 1st lychee was this year, dont know how i did without em LOL how are these? what type of texture is the flesh?

EDIT - so, do they have a seed or has itevolved ith the seed on the outside?

Edited by Amulte

The seed is in the green bit. The edible bit is the purple. They are in the order Pinales - so considered a conifer. Not a true flowering plant.

These have a fairly subtle flavour as vapours says but very nice.

Mmm, looks pretty tasty! Are these available (or will they be any time soon?) at a fruit market? I've never seen or even heard of them... And from a conifer? So I gather the friuts would be fairly rare? How many would one tree produce in one season (or year)?

edit - typo

Edited by Ace

The SW is loaded with these. Apparently they are harvested and sold from the wild in QLD (a diff, but similar variety) Here is W.A. the foalage is wild harvested by people for the cut flower trade and is apparently a staple in flower arrangments for it's foalage. I personally didn't like the flavour all that much, although it wasn't unpleasant it's a little slimey in texture. I rekon if u did a good hunt and test of lotsa tree's u could find superior tasting fruit from select tree's to clone from if intersted in an edible fruit. From wat I understand, they are most commonly made into a jam/preserve.

The normal way they sprout is by being eaten by an Emu and then crapped out the other end in a big pile of fertilizer. I have asked my friend who lives where these occur naturally to bring me either a bag full of emu turd with seeds in it or sum seedling dug up from emu crap.

The normal way they sprout is by being eaten by an Emu and then crapped out the other end in a big pile of fertilizer. I have asked my friend who lives where these occur naturally to bring me either a bag full of emu turd with seeds in it or sum seedling dug up from emu crap.

My girlfriend's dad has several pet emus on his farm, so next time I go down I might harvest a sack of these first and feed them :).

WHat do these taste like? any good.....

look a little different :)

I harvested a whole bunch more recently - they were much riper than the ones I tried before, and they had a strong piney/conifery flavour. A bit much but small amounts were OK.