The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

trichocerus peruvianus vs cerus puruvianus???

I was looking through the encyclopaedia of psychedelic plants, when I came accross a little bit of text under a pic, I could not find any extra info, but the text stated "it is possible that trichcereus peruvianus was known in europe as early as the 18th century, for it may be identical with cerus peruvianus." What do you all think of this? I found this interesting aswell, cause I recieved a cutting which I was told was cereus peruvinus, but which draws similarities to trichocereus peruvianus. Will have to look closer at the 2 to compare... maybe his ID was wrong.

Edited by shroomytoonos

Probably a mistake, T. peruvianus and C. peruvianus are definitely distinct plants.

Cereus peruvianus is the big multistemmed, small spined cactus you commonly see in gardens [which gnomes often make clandestine night missions to collect and find out after much cooking that it contains little to no gnomic alkaloids and get a little bit annoyed, gnomes are funny like that], it also has tasty [if pollinated] edible fruit. Trichocereus/Echinopsis peruvianus is the one of most ethnobotanical interest and seems to have a vast array of hybrids and cultivars on the market. Usually has much larger spination than the former mentioned genus/species Possibly making it quite hard to get what was the original form.

I do believe this is a cerus peruvianus although my plant identification skills have a lot to be desired

DSC01461.JPG

That's a Mercedes Benz!

:):P:lol:

dc That looks like the one! A closer shot would have been great

Cereus peruvianus is the big multistemmed, small spined cactus you commonly see in gardens [which gnomes often make clandestine night missions to collect and find out after much cooking that it contains little to no gnomic alkaloids and get a little bit annoyed, gnomes are funny like that], it also has tasty [if pollinated] edible fruit. Trichocereus/Echinopsis peruvianus is the one of most ethnobotanical interest and seems to have a vast array of hybrids and cultivars on the market. Usually has much larger spination than the former mentioned genus/species Possibly making it quite hard to get what was the original form.

yeah, i look forward to trying the fruit.. i take it isnt always pollenated... is manual pollination recommended?

yeah, i look forward to trying the fruit.. i take it isnt always pollenated... is manual pollination recommended?

From what I could find out, it doesn't sound like the easiest thing to do, though am sure it can be done.

Does anyone know much about pollinating/self pollinating Cereus peruvianus?

I'm sure it would be rewarding to do this as you would get the fruits, but I'd say you'd need a few of these monsters that were grown from seed

Tonic is quite right. Pictolotus Binoobious :rolleyes: (cerus peruvianus) can be found generally moreso than echinops/trichs as landscaping features in front yards. The two are unmistakably different once you have both infront of you. Cerus also tend to be alot greyer in colour and slightly glaucous, sometimes with a pinky dusted flower. Not sure how well self pollination goes, as i have rarely seen cerus fuiting by themselves down here. Maybe due to propagation via a clone its unfertille sometimes(not sure), try growing from seed. All the best with hand pollination tho! If you after catci fruit, maybe look toward the opuntias and dragonfruits. Once you have a big opuntia, youll have fruit for life!!