The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tonic

common names-botanical names

Can anyone tell me or lead me to a post or website that states exactly what the botanical names for these mushrooms are:

The Blue Meanie

The Gold Top

Thanks

Can anyone tell me or lead me to a post or website that states exactly what the botanical names for these mushrooms are:

The Blue Meanie

The Gold Top

Thanks

thats a good one question... Unfortuently, I think that it can be a regional thing

thats a good one question... Unfortuently, I think that it can be a regional thing

How annoying :wacko: , thanks shroomytoonos

I was mainly thinking of NSW if anyone knows?

Edited by tonic

Don't want to hunt around for posts/websites but generally:

Blue meanies = Copelandia cyanescens

Gold tops = Psilocybe cubensis

Edited by MORG

Don't want to hunt around for posts/websites but generally:

Blue meanies = Copelandia cyanescens

Gold tops = Psilocybe cubensis

hey thanks MORG, this should help me in my research a bit :)

Interesting to note that one of the most talked about mushrooms happens to be introduced :o

hey thanks MORG, this should help me in my research a bit :)

Interesting to note that one of the most talked about mushrooms happens to be introduced :o

it should also be noted though, that mushrooms from places which I have lived, which are referred to as goldtops... are not cubies, but subs

Hi people,

Just confirming Shroomy,

Here in Tas, Gold Tops are most defintely what we call our local Subaeruginosa.

Check these out (they are not from tas, but illustrate my point):

http://shaman-australis.com.au/gallery2/di...um=3&pos=29

Amazing beautiful samples. :worship:

Wheras blue meanies (and i think the Beatles' Yellow Submarine has a lot to answer for) while they are officially Copelandia cyanescens, i have known people to look for wierd little blue things that do in fact have a resemblance to the dudes from Yellow Submarine. Maybe this year i will be able to get a photo's of them to share with you all. I remember some friends proudly showing me their collection. They were most definitely not psilocybe. (Edit: They were not active, and fortunately not poisonous - always identify your mushrooms before you eat them!)

So, i think it depends on where you live, and also who you talk to.

cheers, Obtuse

Edited by obtuse

in my experience;

psilocybe subaeruginosa = gold tops (in south NSW/Vic and Tas cos thats where they are commonly found).

panaeolus (copelandia) cyanescens = gold tops (Nth NSW/QLD) AND blue meanies, cos these ones stain a lot i think.

psilocybe cubensis/subcubensis = just cubies as far as i was aware, but not sure, most likely would be called gold tops though.

all of them can have gold tops so all can be called that accurately i suppose. i have heard of subs being called blue meanies, but mainly down here cos that all you'll get (commonly).

on this forum though, usually referred to as cubs, subs, cyans...

if you do a hunt for pics on erowid or shroomery a lot of them look very similar, especially when subs get large, that or there are more varied strains or a lot of mislabelled pics ;)

try this: http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online...ooms_aunz.shtml

if you are offered some, and after reporting to the police right away (!), ask them where they were found that might help.

cyans are normally have a bit of poo on them (if fresh[ish]) and REALLY bluey-gooey.

otherwise just enjoy studying them and then throw them away! :bootyshake:

bluemeanie should be able to offer some more light on the subject, check his old posts.

speaking of which i haven't heard from him of late??

x peace

p.s. just had a look at that old guide from John W. Allen, mentions liberty caps as 'most commonly found' along with cyans...

anyone come across many/any of them in their travels??

p.s. just had a look at that old guide from John W. Allen, mentions liberty caps as 'most commonly found' along with cyans...

anyone come across many/any of them in their travels??

scratch that, didn't read it properly... says most commonly used, throughout the world im guessing.

hang on, no that can't be right, if he meant the whole world, surely it would be cubensis sp. and p. semilanceata??

still anyone ever found any in australia?

x

scratch that, didn't read it properly... says most commonly used, throughout the world im guessing.

hang on, no that can't be right, if he meant the whole world, surely it would be cubensis sp. and p. semilanceata??

still anyone ever found any in australia?

x

I think p. semilanceata are liberty caps

CONFOUND IT ALL!! I'm just sticking with botanical names from now on, mycology is confusing enough as it is :lol:

Interesting subject though

Wheras blue meanies (and i think the Beatles' Yellow Submarine has a lot to answer for) while they are officially Copelandia cyanescens, i have known people to look for wierd little blue things that do in fact have a resemblance to the dudes from Yellow Submarine. Maybe this year i will be able to get a photo's of them to share with you all. I remember some friends proudly showing me their collection. They were most definitely not psilocybe.

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

Do they look anything like this Obtuse?

Edited by tonic

don't eat that! :o

seriously check this out http ://www.erowid.org/library/books_online...ooms_aunz.shtml and go from there, my first reply has the names yr after.

the blue is in the stems when they are bruised, when broken or exposed to oxygen.

darkish blue.

x peace

don't eat that! :o

seriously check this out http ://www.erowid.org/library/books_online...ooms_aunz.shtml and go from there, my first reply has the names yr after.

the blue is in the stems when they are bruised, when broken or exposed to oxygen.

darkish blue.

x peace

:) funny

Wasn't planning on eating a Mycena :) was just seeing if these were the ones Obtuse was talking about, most likely not the same ones though.

Edited by tonic

Wheras blue meanies (and i think the Beatles' Yellow Submarine has a lot to answer for) while they are officially Copelandia cyanescens, i have known people to look for wierd little blue things that do in fact have a resemblance to the dudes from Yellow Submarine. Maybe this year i will be able to get a photo's of them to share with you all. I remember some friends proudly showing me their collection. They were most definitely not psilocybe.

No They don't look like this. Sorry i should have pointed out that what my friends had collected were not active, and god knows what they were. They ate them and nothing happened.

I was trying to illustrate how sometimes terms like "blue meanies" can get twisted and turned into other things a bit like how "chinese whispers" works. I should have been more clear, and i will edit my post to point out their inactivity.

don't eat that!

Don't go out eating any old mushroom just because some-one describes what a friend of theirs had told them to look for, you could poison yourself and worst case scenario cause irreperable damage to your liver and die.

Tonic my best adice is to go to your local library or even better university library and read all the mycology books.

i would take http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online...ooms_aunz.shtml

with a grain of salt, as i reckon some of that info is inaccurate, although i can't comment on the photos. Be cautious with online references.

Also shroomery.org serves as a great reference.

cheers, Obtuse

double post

Edited by obtuse

Im buying a decent book soon, which is specific to what you can eat, though it's $70 so am holding off, good time to go hunting though with all this rain about, don't worry i'm not some careless fool that will eat any old thing.

sorry if i sounded overbearing, just wanted to offer some high detailed advice, ala bluemeanie, as he did for me way back when (6 months!). :blush:

hey im in syd too, up north, bushy area.

pm me if u want to go for a walk sometime. there are plenty about (not ness. actives). :lol:

peace x

do you mind if i ask the book name tonic? have been looking and only finding guides of little use.

It's called Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World by Paul Stamets, looks pretty good, it has a reccomendation from Terence McKenna :)

Edited by tonic

It's called Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World by Paul Stamets, looks pretty good, it has a reccomendation from Terence McKenna :)

The best way to learn to ID fungi, is to go with someone else who knows what to look for...

The best way to learn to ID fungi, is to go with someone else who knows what to look for...

I agree, books can only teach you so much. Common mushroom books do not mention the blue staining of psilocybe mushrooms, so without that piece of knowledge i'm sure a lot of people have inadvertently taken the wrong mushrooms.

The more detailed or specific texts (i.e university texts) do mention these facts, and are well worth reading.

But without practical experience it is easy to go wrong.

There are a lot of mushrooms that look like various psilocybe, and perhaps deliberately, and some can be quite poisonous. Here in Tas, there is one that i have found to be common that looks like a mature Sub, and except for a little brown on the stem, a slightly different texture of the stem, and the fact it doesn't stain blue, and average person wouldn't know the difference. If in doubt leave it alone.

I don't remember hearing of "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World" by Paul Stamets, but if it has a reccomendation from Terence McKenna, it must be reasonably good.

cheers, Obtuse

It's a great looking book, for $70 you'd want it to be :wacko: I know about the staining blue thing already, am pretty sure the Paul Stemets talks about that anyway, will let you guys know how it reads when I buy it. I think i've really opened up a can of worms here :lol:

I agree, books can only teach you so much. Common mushroom books do not mention the blue staining of psilocybe mushrooms, so without that piece of knowledge i'm sure a lot of people have inadvertently taken the wrong mushrooms.

The more detailed or specific texts (i.e university texts) do mention these facts, and are well worth reading.

But without practical experience it is easy to go wrong.

There are a lot of mushrooms that look like various psilocybe, and perhaps deliberately, and some can be quite poisonous. Here in Tas, there is one that i have found to be common that looks like a mature Sub, and except for a little brown on the stem, a slightly different texture of the stem, and the fact it doesn't stain blue, and average person wouldn't know the difference. If in doubt leave it alone.

I don't remember hearing of "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World" by Paul Stamets, but if it has a reccomendation from Terence McKenna, it must be reasonably good.

cheers, Obtuse

I have also come accross, what looks deceivingly like the local subs, but has a small veil... but could very easily be thrown into a bag with edibles., with potentially devastating effects. A friend in vic once told me of one in the area that he picked, that looked almost exactly like subs, but was deadly poisonous, I wonder if is the same mushroom... galerina perhaps (dont know if it occurs here or not)