The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
onz

solanaceae

hey, sorry I'm not sure if this has much to do with ethnobotany. But, I found out the tomato and some others are of the nightshade family so there is some connection.

I won a plant today at tafe, great coz one of my seedlings died over the weekend due to heat (& me not watering). But I can't find any information on the plant, thomas solanaceae. It has some moss growing on the soil and I'm worried about giving it too much/not enough light.

So if anyone could tell me something about its growth habits and growing conditions, and its relation to nightshade I'd much appreciate.

hey onz good to see another member from down in vic.

I havent heard of any plant named thomas solanaceae, maybe a tomato?

Some pics might help with an id.

Solanaceae is a family, so this is not a legal name other than that it tells you it is in the nightshade family.

The 'thomas' makes no sense.

Spelling was the problem. Apologies for the bland, non-ethnobotanicle nature of this thread.

Thomasia solanacea

A delightful medium shrub to 2m high x 2m wide but growing densely to 4m on Karwarra’s deep soil. The lovely bright green oak-like leaves are felt-like to the touch. White flowers occur spasmodically throughout the year but are profuse in spring.

Cultivation: Adapts to most well drained sites and can be grown in full sun or part shade. Suited to coastal planting. May tolerate slightly alkaline soils. It is usually easy to propagate from cuttings and seed, but care needs to be taken with mist on the hairy leaves.

Uses: An excellent screen plant. Crimson rosellas eat the seeds.

Distribution: Western Australia

source

post-1054-1172038102.gif

post-1054-1172038102.gif

post-1054-1172038102.gif

I love thomasia - it's a beautiful genus and an important part of the jarrah and karri understory in southwest wa.

Some have a similar appearance to solanaceae but they don't contain any of the alkaloids associated with that family.

It comes from the Sterculiaceae family, which is famous for alkaloids, such as theobromine (from the chocolate plant) and caffeine from kola nuts and also native kurrajongs.

But according to the academic surveys (like aplin and cannon 1971) this genus is devoid of alkaloids.

I'm sure it does have ethnobotanical importance but unfortunately (or fortunately!) that knowledge is safe with noongar people for the time being.

according to CALM the conservation status of this species is priority 3: "poorly known taxa".

I think it's one of those plants that will take time in divulging it's secrets to white folk - if it survives long enough...

Definitely worth looking after!