The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
liftyourskinnyfists

Brain Damage

About 5 years ago I fell off a mini trampoline during a punk/hardcore show and hit the back of my head on a concrete floor. I received a concussion, a cracked skull, and a bit of scolding from my parents, but nothing more or so it seemed. As the weeks passed it became apparent that I was unable to smell anything. I frantically reached for the strongest things I could find such vinegar, vicks vapor rum, ammonia etc., but nothing seemed detectable. I went to a doctor or two both admitting that they could do nothing and that loss of smell or anosmia is a common result of head injury; I guess I should be happy it wasn't my hearing or sight.

Anyways, since that time I have regained small bit of my original range of smell detection, but, from what I can remember atleast, I am still quiet handicapped. I have tried acupuncture. The acupuncturist said that he may be able to help but admittedly I only went to one session; not out of lack of faith, but out of lack of funds. I've also tried various things like using a capsicum containing nasal spray (http://www.stargeek.com/item/93234.html) or taking zinc suppliments, but noting seems to have truly helped; sometimes I think the capsicum is working but usually there is no change. I should note that in the 5 years since then I have on a handful of occasions acheived a full range of smell detection. These moments are few and far between and have occured and ended quickly and seemingly without reason. It's as if for a moment a connection has been reestablished and then disconnected again shortly after.

I have also experienced (though not for awhile) what I can only describe as phantom smells which are often strong and repulsive. They are phantom because no one else in the room can smell anything. These have never occured during trip times. I should also note while I can detect certain levels of odor, they are often masked or deformed. Things don't smell as they should; a strawberry doesn't smell like a strawberry (or what I remember a strawberry to smell like). In fact everything seems to smell pretty much the same to me usually. It's sort of akin to how everything in a scene looks the same when viewed through really thick glass; like the glass in some churchs. Many objects blurr into one and are indistinguishable from each other.

As you can see, I have some complex shit going on here, that if hard to describe and even I don't fully comprehend. To make a long story short though its obvious I have some damage that never completely healed and maybe never will. I guess if it had to happen to a sense though this is probably the least disabling.

I've been thinking about trying Piracetam. I've used it before but only as a nootropic (I can't think of the dosage off the top of my head) and not to repair any organic damage to my brain, but perhaps it could help if taken regularly and at a specific dosage as this article indicates: http://www.piracetam.com/piracetam-67.htm

The article recommends 24-30 mg/day. Perhaps I should take a choline source as well. I'llI'll try to remember to keep everyone posted on my progress or lack there of.

Does anyone else have any recommendations as far as taking paracetam or anything else that might help? peace.

does your smell change at all during lsd trips? I wonder if this is something like dyslexia which can be temporarily switched off with lsd.

I have also experienced (though not for awhile) what I can only describe as phantom smells which are often strong and repulsive. They are phantom because no one else in the room can smell anything. These have never occured during trip times. I should also note while I can detect certain levels of odor, they are often masked or deformed. Things don't smell as they should; a strawberry doesn't smell like a strawberry (or what I remember a strawberry to smell like). In fact everything seems to smell pretty much the same to me usually. It's sort of akin to how everything in a scene looks the same when viewed through really thick glass; like the glass in some churchs. Many objects blurr into one and are indistinguishable from each other.

Phantom smells can be an early symptom of schizophrenia.

very interesting. how has this affected your eating patterns?

have you had an fMRI scan? if not, go and have one. they'll be able to tell you if and where there's damage. once you work out the cause, i guess you can work on finding a solution to it... if there is one. you might wanna read into brain-derived neurotrophic factor ... fish oils ... hydergine.

here's one study that i found:

Anosmia following head trauma: preliminary study of steroid treatment.

Tohoku J Exp Med. 1995 Dec;177(4):343-51.

Twenty patients with post-traumatic anosmia were subjected to olfactory function testing, including olfactory acuity tests using a T & T olfactometer and an intravenous olfaction test. T & T tests revealed complete loss in 14 patients. In the intravenous olfaction test, 14 patients showed no response and 5 patients showed abnormal responses. The severity of olfactory dysfunction showed no correlation with background factors such as the site of head trauma, the presence of the fracture of skull, the presence of unconsciousness, or the presence of head operation. As a preliminary study, seventeen patients were administered a corticosteroid, a topical nasal drop of 0.1% betamethasone for 12 patients and an oral administration of prednisolone for 5 patients. Four patients showed slight recovery of olfactory function following a corticosteroid therapy. Effects of corticosteroids on olfaction might be explained by regeneration of olfactory receptor cell axons and reestablishment of contact with cells in the olfactory bulb.

P.S. most people take 800 mg to 4800 mg of piracetam a day.

It might be worth trying the herb Brahmi (Bacopa monniera), it is a brain tonic and supposed to be helpful in cases of brain trauma. Listening to Mozart is purported to help rewire the brain (I realise the accident happened at a punk concert :)), maybe also try and smell lots of different things, the old use it or lose it.

Good luck

It might be worth trying the herb Brahmi (Bacopa monniera), it is a brain tonic and supposed to be helpful in cases of brain trauma. Listening to Mozart is purported to help rewire the brain (I realise the accident happened at a punk concert :)), maybe also try and smell lots of different things, the old use it or lose it.

Good luck

yeah, ask username about brahmi, he uses it(when he remembers to)

hat trick username!! :)

yeah, ask username about brahmi, he uses it(when he remembers to)

hat trick username!! :)

You're actually not damaging me at all with these baits.

Rather you're showing up the moderator's blindness (perhaps selectiveness) to your antics of deliberately trying to bait me. You're screwing yourself and making the moderator look bad.

yeah fully!!, isn't smell and taste intertwined? like holding your nose when consuming certain "beverages" and the like!

My Grandmother once lost her taste when she had a stroke. She was never able to taste again. It´s possible that you had some brain injuries which caused something similar in some parts of your brain. I´d also be very interested if you´d be able to smell if you´d ingest LSD or psilocybin. But don´t take it as a request :innocent_n: It could be a good idea to train your senses for the rest of your life. You might be able to get back parts of your smelling nerves. I don´t know much about such kind of injuries but it´s really interesting. You probably should consider to live with this limitations as it´s very hard to treat things like this. Please keep us informed how you are able to have influence on your taste while your on diffrent legal substances. It gives a good practical insight in how the brain works. bye

Edited by Evil Genius

It could be a good idea to train your senses for the rest of your life. You might be able to get back parts of your smelling nerves. I don´t know much about such kind of injuries but it´s really interesting. You probably should consider to live with this limitations as it´s very hard to treat things like this. Please keep us informed how you are able to have influence on your taste while your on diffrent legal substances. It gives a good practical insight in how the brain works. bye

I am interested in training my senses. Sometimes (I try to do it daily) I like to wear a blindfold and walk around the house slowly doing my normal tasks. I've found that it not only gives me an appreciation for having sight, but it also enhances your awareness in the long run by allowing you to reexperience your normal environment from a different perspective. The key word is slowly and carefully, and one should obviously not preform tasts such as dicing vegetables. :)

Sometimes when I really focus my awareness on the different odors in the room I can pick out certain smells, but its akin to squinting your eyes to see the chalkboard from a backrow to see the board; it's not something that I can do for long periods of time as my mind wanders throughout the day. All of this is based on my memory of how I remember things to smell 5 or so years ago, and as a memory it may have never existed quite how I imagine it. Though, I doubt it I have to admit the posibility that what was once a real physical injury has now become purely a psychological affliction of my own making. Does that make sense? In a certain sense I have decided to accept it and live with it. Part of the reason that I haven't explored many options is that I accepted it shortly after it happened and after many of the healers that I consulted basically said that there was nothing anyone could do. A large part of me doesn't even consider it an entirely bad thing. It's given me a slightly different perspective on things. I sounds trite, but I now have a bigger appreciation for my stronger senses and those rare moments when that connection in my brain seems to awaken and grant me the scents that usually only exist in memory. During my normal day to day existence I don't normally notice it. It's usually when I'm in the presence of others; eg., when someone comments on how good the [food/flowers/grass] smells that I sort of long to be able to take a fuller part in the experience. It's for those reasons and the fact that I am love plants and nature (and that scent can be important in plant identification) so much that it's worth it for me to look for a "cure".

Edited by liftyourskinnyfists

It might be worth trying the herb Brahmi (Bacopa monniera), it is a brain tonic and supposed to be helpful in cases of brain trauma. Listening to Mozart is purported to help rewire the brain (I realise the accident happened at a punk concert :)),

I'll have to check out the herb. I've heard of it and know its been used as a nootropic but I've never used it. I actually like damn near every different type of music. Various styles of Classical, punk/hardcore/post-hardcore/indi, old country, techno, various rock, blues reggae. industrial, jazz, etc. are all good in my book.

I've never thought of that posibility although I've joked about it before with a sort of detached amusement. I'm at about the right age that many start having problems. It's the only type of phatom sensations that I experience however, although I have been known to see things under certain altered states :) I've never heard voices or seen things that weren't there during normal waking consciousness. Hopefully this century will shed alot more light on the hidden areas and mechanisms of the brain at work during "normal" and "abnormal" psychological functioning.

Also brain tumours.

Could be, although I think it would be quite a coincidence for the tumor to occur at the same time as the brain trauma. Can a brain injury cause a tumour to develop? It would be interesting but potentially imposible to find out if my injury also caused more subtle long-term damage to other parts of my brain.

"It's not a tumor!" -Arnold Schwarzenegger :)

I forgot to mention that the injury has definitely affected my ability to taste things. I can however still taste things, but thinks are weaker in flavor than I remember them to be. I normally like really strong tasting meals to compensate for this; they are too strong for my wife :)

I find that I consider the other aspects of eating, such as texture more than I use too. On the plus side, many of the more revulting psychoactives that we consume aren't as much as a problem for me.

have you had an fMRI scan? if not, go and have one. they'll be able to tell you if and where there's damage. once you work out the cause, i guess you can work on finding a solution to it... if there is one. you might wanna read into brain-derived neurotrophic factor ... fish oils ... hydergine.

That sounds really expensive when your a college student/minimum wage worker with rent/phone/car + insurance/etc., a $4,000 hospital bill, and most importantly no heath insurance. After 5 years I'm not sure an fMRI scan or any medical investigation is anything that can't wait until I have more money in my pocket. RememberI can't even afford the acupuncturist. Don't think I'm dissing you or anything; It's a nice suggestion and I'll file it away for when/if the right environment presents itself. I do have to study up more on brain tissue regeneration. I don't believe I've ever heard of hydergine.

As a complete aside (not quite a hijack :) ), calyx, I've wondered about your avatar and I have to ask, what the heck did your cat see? :blink:

does your smell change at all during lsd trips? I wonder if this is something like dyslexia which can be temporarily switched off with lsd.

To be honest I'm probably the only person on these boards that hasn't tripped on acid. Acid is quite rare where I live and the opportunity has just never presented itself. I have however had mescaline, A. muscaria, psilocybin, HBWR, various rc's, etc. All my tripping has occured after said injury, so I have no idea how smell is altered normally during these states, and I've not noticed a change in the limited olfactory abilities that I do have.

It's worth noting that I did have some sort of brain scan about an hour or two after the incident. I was however, too groggy and indifferent at that point to know what type of scan it was and this really isn't my area of expertise. Perhaps someone else could speculate on what type it was.

The first hour or two after the trampoline incident I had to fight (with help from friends) to stay awake. I don't remember at all the first minute or two after connecting with the concrete :BANGHEAD2: . I'm told by friends that after I hit I tried standing up several times falling over on each attempt. When I came too, or atleast my first memories are of being carried into the house and put on a chair. For about an hour or two my vision was also really fucked up and I couldn't focus on anything or make out anyone farther than a few feet infront of my face. It was stupidity on my part that kept me from going to the hospital right away as the others suggested. This was partly because I've always hated hospitals and have had a slight distrust of the doctors that I've been too. IME most have been unwilling to acknowledge any solutions outside the narrow dogma that they were trained in. Don't get me wrong, I admit there are times for doctors and hospitals and this definitely qualified as one of those, but old prejudices die hard and like I said I was a bit out of it. Plus I still had a bit of that "I'm indistructable" attitude that you have when you're still a teenager.

I'm probably lucky in that I had big thick dreadlocks back in those days which cushioned my fall. Who knows, they may have even saved my life :)

As far as 're-associating pathways' goes I've found a combo of three herbs to assist my 'recollection' of lost long term memories. I have a tea each morning containing several herbs so cannot commit to the benefits being the sole effect of the three herbs, or a combination of this and reactions with the other herbs - all I know is that I didn't get the recall til about 6 weeks after adding the three. They are dried and in this ratio:

1 third tsp brahmi: 1 third tsp Ginko biloba: 1 third tsp Gotu kola

The rest of my tea consists of the following:

2 tsp Lemon Balm

2 tsp Rooibos

1 third tsp stevia leaf

1 third tsp Rosella

2 small Lemon Ti-tree leaves, crumbled

1 tsp St John's Wort

half tsp Siberian Ginseng, ground

I boil water then leave for a couple of minutes to cool, then add to mug/herbs and let steep 10-15 minutes.

I am also on three long-term meds; lithium, Seroquel and Losec (a stomach ulcer med)

I was hoping the memory combo would assist with my short-term memory. My long term memory I had given up on after several doses of ECT effectively completely erased certain long-term memory 'sectors', something I was assured would never happen :rolleyes: .

About 6 weeks into the new tea I woke up one morning and could again remember my daughter's birth; no lead-up, no warning, just hit the right dose and/or amount of time taken. Either way memories I thought I had lost forever returned: if I believed in a god I would be thanking them still! :lol: :lol:

No miracles, didn't do a Travolta and break the bar mirror by thought :wink: , and other memories are still just as elusive...

Just a thought anyway :lol:

1 third tsp brahmi: 1 third tsp Ginko biloba: 1 third tsp Gotu kola

That looks like a good combo there. There's another thread going on right now about brahmi:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...c=13377&hl=

1 tsp St John's Wort
I drank a SJW tea daily for a few months once but quit from lack of effects and I was concerned about taking a MAOI daily with other substances, and the fact that it may be an irreversible maoi.
About 6 weeks into the new tea I woke up one morning and could again remember my daughter's birth; no lead-up, no warning, just hit the right dose and/or amount of time taken. Either way memories I thought I had lost forever returned: if I believed in a god I would be thanking them still! :lol: :lol:

Thats great!! How long had it been after you last used xtc that you first noticed having improved memory?

No xtc used, ECT stands for 'Electro-convulsive Therapy', otherwise known as shock treatment :) . I was told pre first-dose that my memory would be mucked for a couple of months either side of the 'shock period', but nothing permanent. Instead it mostly left my short-term memory alone and took chunks out of my long-term :wacko: , though not the old-as-old archives, they were untouched but I couldn't get the door open for a while :wink: .

Before using the brain-herbs I got myself off effexor. It took 3 months as the withdrawals were fierce - worse even than grog and nics :puke: . Then I gave it another month to disappear from my system. I started out on a half tsp sjw... oh yeah... wiki say

wiki st johns wort

so it looks more like an SSRI than an maoi :wink: ,

... so, half a tsp sjw, regular tea ingredients, no brain mix, then

as above but with brainmix, then

as above with sjw upped to 1 tsp and stuck with it, so say 10-12 weeks for the brainmix to kick in, st johns wort took about 6 weeks.

I'm not recommending the above as it is simply what I've found self-dosing, taking into account only my meds and my diet, metab etc etc, noone elses. Research thoroughly first and start off small dose-wise... there will be more herbs in my life no doubt, I'm still a rank amateur :lol: .

Saying this, I've found herbal antidepressants/mood lifters to be not only kinder to the user, but also to have far, far less side-effects than the pharms. Now I just need to find an efficient herbal antipsychotic :P .

Hope this benefits someone, cheers,

dqd

dgd look into the ampakines e.g. CX717, they should be coming out in the next few years. a nootropics enthusiast's wet dream i tells ya!

I've never thought of that posibility although I've joked about it before with a sort of detached amusement. I'm at about the right age that many start having problems. It's the only type of phatom sensations that I experience however, although I have been known to see things under certain altered states I've never heard voices or seen things that weren't there during normal waking consciousness. Hopefully this century will shed alot more light on the hidden areas and mechanisms of the brain at work during "normal" and "abnormal" psychological functioning.

I wouldn't worry about schizophrenia. Olfactory hallucinations are rare. Auditory is by far the most common hallucination

Edited by Ramon

Agreed. I believe smells, (particularly offensive ones), are more associated with TLE (Temporal Lobe Epilepsy). Look for the book/movie 'The Terminal Man' :wink:

quote name='dqd' date='Feb 11 2007, 10:06 AM' post='122836']

As a complete aside (not quite a hijack :) ), calyx, I've wondered about your avatar and I have to ask, what the heck did your cat see? :blink:

post-1627-1171179910_thumb.jpg[

It was an ex sniffer cat who along with the dog retired after CS went missing one weekend. The pic of the cat was taken when they found CS ... engaged in an unspeakable act.

PS Enlarge pic to capture full look of dogs face, it was entitled "you want me to do what?"

PPS My apologies to the easily offended, I realise the pic was of questionable taste but I couldnt help myself :blush:

post-1627-1171179910_thumb.jpg

post-1627-1171179910_thumb.jpg