The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
zee_werp

Tips for harvesting pedro fruit?

So it looks like some of my cross pollinations might have been successful, at least the initial signs are hopeful.

I am just wondering, for those of you who have harvested your own pedro fruits for seed before, when is the best time to harvest them and what is the best way of collecting the seed? Is there any way of avoiding the fruit going real sticky and the seeds being stuck in a dried-fruit-like sticky goo? Do I wait for the fruit to drop off naturally? etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated who knows maybe I'll have some spares.

Hi zee_werp,

Trichocereus needs about 6-12 weeks. They are ripe when they change their colour and get slimy. I wouldn´t harvest before the seedpod breaks up from alone. Good Luck! What have you pollinated? Bye Eg

good stuff man! it takes between 1-3 months to ripen depending on how vigourously it is growing, the fruit swells rapidly in the last couple of days and then splits down one side all of a sudden, if picked at this stage its relatively easy to seperate the seeds out of the fibrous pulp in a bowl of water..

unfortunately i was away from home when most of my trichos flowered this year, no fruits for me..

Edited by ferret

If the flower base is firmly attached to the stem a few days after pollination you should be good to go, any freeplay/wobble means pollination wasn't successful. Usually there's 6 weeks minimum until ripening, you just have to wait for them to soften or split. Like ferret said they swell noticably when ready but don't expect to see much colour change.

As far as cleaning them goes I've found it easier using dried fruit rather than trying to get them out straight away because there's less material to deal with but who can wait! :lol: I've just swirled the pulp around in a bowl of water and separated the pulp from the seed using a tea strainer, most of the seed will sink to the bottom. You don't have to be too fussy about getting all the pulp out because once it's dry you can just crumble it away from the seed.

So what cool X's can we expect to see coming out of NZ?

Cheers for the tips. My digicam made a horrible sound when I tried to turn it on a few weeks ago and its kaput so no pics at the mo unfortunatley. But things are lookin pretty rad. Got some Juuls x Pach and maybe some Juuls x scop and some pach x scop for now. Nothing too spectacular but hopefully in a season or two there'll be some more cool stuff going on. These should be interesting none the less, its almost refreshing to see crosses that should probably have short spines :P

Yeah you should get some relatively spineless plants out of that lot hopefully. I'll trade you for some Juuls X pach if it all works out for you.

Does the NZ pachanoi produce flowers with fairly sparse black hair looking something like this?

Tpachanoi.jpg