The Corroboree
Ace

Any Ideas for a nice Valentines Day Pressie?

For Valentines I was going to get you something amazing, truly out of this world, something that would blow your mind away, incomparable to anything else you'll ever have or experience in your life.

But then I remembered you've already got me.

:wave-finger:

Last valentines gift I gave was a goat. Hmmm, I should explain. Determined to avoid the baseless profiteering aspect of such a dumb-ass obligatory event, I sat my partner down and suggested we ‘buy’ each other a charitable donation. Being one for imagination, a simple few bucks to Vinnies wouldn‘t cut it, so I found an organisation that let me ‘buy‘ a goat for my partner, with the animal being given to a family in Africa or Afghanistan (cant remember which) for the purposes of breeding and milking (ie sustainability) Being extremely conscious of the mess that christian missionaries can make in so called ‘developing countries’, I contacted the director of the charity myself to clarify the funds distribution, and they do not (or did not at the time) fund missionaries either directly or indirectly. They ARE affiliated with a christian group, but it’s almost impossible to find such a unique channel of donation that’s not (UNICEF perhaps being one of the few secular organisations)

The goat was given to my partner along with a hand-made card (by me), breakfast in bed and a funky fruit platter in which I somehow painstakingly sculpted fruit into a whacked out design. So not a cent went to the profiteers who rub their greedy little hands together every February hoping to make huge profits on a dumb celebration. Yes, I see the irony in saying that, but giving something anyway, thus recognising the day anyway, but waddaya do…. There were clear winners, and that was a poor family.

Some of the other ‘gifts’ that can be given are toilet blocks, basic schooling supplies, cows and other stuff. Anyone interested can read more at:

http://www.usefulgifts.org/

So not a cent went to the profiteers who rub their greedy little hands together every February hoping to make huge profits on a dumb celebration.

http://www.usefulgifts.org/

Lol well I've just started working for a "Flower Farm" and they make most of their money for the year from Valentines day. If it wasn't for this day I most probably wouldn't have a job that I enjoy at the moment..

Everyone has to make an earning somehow.

Some of the other ‘gifts’ that can be given are toilet blocks...

I hear that that's one of George Michaels' favorites :wink:

Actually did you see the thread Torsten posted about toilet blocks last night?

You don't know how useful they are until you really need one. I remember one memorable time when I was travelling to a job interview in a suit and a combination of factors including nerves had lead to a quickened bowel transit time. I remember being about 5 minutes away from the destination and having about 15 minutes to burn. I felt the strange urge to fart and decided to let it go and just as soon as I'd done it I felt the unmistakable warm sensation of an acidic liquid fart. I panicked thinking I'd just ruined my suit pants (that I'd borrowed from a friend). I recalled a public toilet block I'd passed on the other side of Parlaiment house in East Melbourne and drove back there. It was getting on 5:30 pm in winter and it was getting dark. I quickly got out of my car and rushed for the toilet with some Hungry Jack's serviettes I kept in the car back then (when I still ate fast food) in my suit pocket.

As I found a cubicle that looked atrocious in terms of being as yet uncleaned at the end of a working day I proceeded to see what the damage was and the fart had not made it to my underwear for which I was thankful. As I finished I heard some definite activity and rustling in the cubicle next to mine. I heard some wet type sounds and thought it was some teenagers who had no money for a car or hotel room getting it on.

I left the toilet block and only then noticed that there was a large number of males in their 30's and beyond walking around the elm trees around the toilet block, some carrying newspapers for some odd reason and a disproportionate number having caps on their heads; baseball and some beret or artistic type. As I turned to my car door I saw a mediterranean (maybe Greek) looking brutish man with a cap, heavily bearded looking directly into my eyes. At first I mistook him for a wino or bum, but then in an instant of clarity understood everything once I sat in the car driving off. I was late to the interview and was unsuccessful anyhow.

Surreal and only what I'd ever heard of, but I was much younger and naive back then.

Edited by ~username

valentine's day is a capitalist sanctioned holiday created to boost the post-christmas economy by creating a misdirected need in society to prove love through expenditure.

I think I love you :wub::lol:

I think I love you :wub::lol:

bless your heart. i hope you survive it. :lol:

Lol well I've just started working for a "Flower Farm" and they make most of their money for the year from Valentines day. If it wasn't for this day I most probably wouldn't have a job that I enjoy at the moment..

Everyone has to make an earning somehow.

I must say that I'm ambivalent about florists and their products. Yes the business involves plants, but it strikes me as a vanity of sorts. Cutting the flowers remembering that they are the reproductive organs of the plant for display, only for them to wither with no permanence; not forgetting the money that could have gone towards actually useful things is quite abhorrent to me personally.

A complete waste of resources really in so many ways.

Again just my feeling on this.

Favorite things are always good. They show you remember whats important to her and all that jazz. Or you can go for 'this gift is for you, but really its for me' and get lingerie.

I was going to suggest booking her a day at one of those day spa's where they do the whole massage, face treatmenet, pedicure thing, but that could be a bit pricey, but I'm not really sure, may be worth checking out.

No valentines day for me this year, my moneys going to cacti and a "we don't have partners so lets get totally plastered" party.

Like its been said, find someone to look after the kid and set the house up all nice. Get her to go out for something while you do it so its kind of a surprise. Rose petals on the bed and whatnot. Nice bubble bath and champagne, stuff like that.

Just sayin whatever pops into my head, hopefully something helpful.

i always grab these orchids for my bird.

come in three different colours and 2 bucks a stem. mix and match buy more stems if important occasion bam.

bought her a vase for birthday to show em in. they laast for 2 weeks sometimes. they look really tripped out and funky. plus she grows orchids so already has ocnnection to the flower.

but yeah my recommendation is orchids. they are the most psychedelic flowers IMHO and value for money.

My right my idea will take a bit of sneaking around but could work ok.

A long long time ago when I was romantic and full of energy I used to live at uni with my girlfriend. She used to work interstate a lot and I would tend to only see her every 4 weeks for about 4 weeks. . Anyway one time on her return I had inflated a few hundred balloons and filled her room up to about waist height. It was pretty cool and not too expensive.

An alternative to this would be to fill her car with balloons while she is at work. This of course would take a bit of organizing and having a few mates help out would probably be a help too. I had help with my balloon filling exercise.

The great thing about it is that not only does your girlfriend think your some kind romantic legend but her friends think you are pretty good too. It makes their boyfriend look pretty lousy. ;)

But a word of caution... Once you do this its hard to top it. We have a joke that I peaked at this point have done nothing else since. ;)

good luck.!

bloody hell watertrade, im gonna fill my room waist deep in balloons just for me. that sounds wild.

would be crazy for a trip party.

Hag, I'm sure that would be even more appreciated on a trip than on a special day lol

But yeah - I want to do heaps of nice stuff, but I dont want to do something that I cant top later down the track... I guess the more good ideas the better lol

Def. trying the baloon idea next time - perhaps a good idea for a party? :P