The Corroboree
BlackDragon

Cooking/Recipe forum?

Hey'all :)

As an avid herb-head and foodlover, Ive always wanted to share recipes from all over the world. It just so happens that most great food involves a number of herbs and spices :drool2: . Most dishes share great cultural aspects too, with the use of the herb or spice going back quite some time. Sometimes as with curries etc medicinal value is added to the meal.

Really, ethnobotany includes the uses of spices/herbs in our foods, and for me this is a daily occurrance. I was wondering if there are also like minded foodies here? Im sure there are some great delish recipes out there waiting to be shared :drool2:

What do you all think?

I know there is plenty of recipe sites out there, but the special nature of our community lends itself to special herb use from all around the world...

BD.

I would think that normally it is the abundance of threads not suited to a particular forum that necessitates a new forum being made. I.D. threads in the cactus forum for instance. I haven't seen many recipe threads on this site, and therefore feel that a forum dedicated to the topic might be a little wasted. Having said that, I would love to see more cooking related threads, so if you post some stuff in chill space of ethnobotany I am sure it will be appreciated by many.

I am EXTREMELY reluctant to add new forums so there usually has to be a need for them before they are created. Volume is the major driver of this consideration, so at the moment the chill space is the most overloaded place and may need some separating out [who knows, we might even create a trash section :wink: ].

I think recipes are quite suited to the ethnobotany forum itself and don't need to be drowned in the chill space.

I am EXTREMELY reluctant to add new forums so there usually has to be a need for them before they are created.

If you did choose to create a recipe/food site, I could be the moderator!

My spice of the moment is smoked paprika from Spain. Made a roasted pumpkin soup last night with this wonderful ingredient and wow ! As with many dried spices, the quality varies greatly between brands - but after using a few have found 'La Tienda' brand to be most flavoursome & aromatic.

Damn, i thought that sounded like an awesome idea.

Not even a Cooking subforum, Torsten, in chill space or ethno where people wanting a quick fix meal can find their recipes for tea's with ease? :rolleyes:

Whatever the case, if you have recipes, Black[lung]Dragon, I would be most appreciative to see them on here. :)

start posting lots of recipes and if they swamp one particular forum then we'll have to create a subforum :wink:

Hey guys, this sounds like a great idea, so if we cant have a cooking forum, lets at least have a go at a good thread?!

Nothing special, but one of favorites:

Swiss Chicken

You need:

4 whole chicken breasts (or fillets)

4 slices of Swiss cheese

4 slices of ham

3/4 cup white wine

1 tsp mustard powder

3 shallots

75 grams butter

some flour

1 clove garlic

1/2 cup cream

salt and pepper to season flour, and to flavour sauce.

Method:

Take the chicken breasts, and dust in seasoned flour. Heat the butter in a pan, add the garlic and chicken pieces, sauté gently until golden brown. Add wine and bring to the boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, until chicken is tender. Remove from the pan, and place in a heatproof serving dish.

Place a slice of ham on each piece, top with a piece of cheese. Cook in a moderate oven (160 C) for around 10 minutes, meanwhile, boil the remaining liquid in the pan until about 1/2 cup remains. Reduce heat, and add cream, chopped shallots and mustard, stir. Season with salt and pepper, pour the sauce.

Very tasty!!

Cheers

Ace

If you did choose to create a recipe/food site, I could be the moderator!

My spice of the moment is smoked paprika from Spain. Made a roasted pumpkin soup last night with this wonderful ingredient and wow ! As with many dried spices, the quality varies greatly between brands - but after using a few have found 'La Tienda' brand to be most flavoursome & aromatic.

yeah, i discovered the smoked paprika about 6 months ago, and now use it in everything (not quite) but heaps of things.

i make real mexican food like a real vegetarian mexican. el paso is in texas. don't be fooled, my australian comrades. say 'ha-la-PAIN-yo'...... also, i <3 the paprika but have never seen or noticed the smoked paprika. that sounds delish. i don't have a recipe to post but lately i've been eating a lot of tetragonia tetragonioides (warragul greens) on mini pizzas. trying to find some bush tomato and a few other bush foods to create a real australian pizza recipe......tassie feta, warragul greens, roasted wattle seeds, bush tomato, you get the idea...surely someone's already done this and charged $40 a pizza...

Thanks for the input peeps, might just see if the mods can shift this thread to ethnobotany forum please? may as well use it as a quick find recpie thread for now if thats ok with yoooze? Keep the recipe comin, ill add some in a day or two :)

Food rocks! Mainly chilli and spice abusing legume and fruit addict here... it's ok to eat fish though, cos they don't have any feelings.

My jalapeno's vary a LOT in heat of fruit which makes cooking an adventure, but either way they have a lot of flavour rather than just lethal heat.Leaving a jalapeno in the sun for a while in dry weather can kind of scorch and blacken it , tasty.. saw on a doco how some mexican guy was roasting em in a wire mesh drum rotating over a fire... that's chipotles I think.Mexican food is great (and cheap!) same for the cuisine of just about any part of the world where you would smoke the dope but wouldn't drink the water, haha.Foodie area would be great on here, food is one of life's few remaining sensual pleasures that is LEGAL. Then there's the reward of growing real food, but thats a different thread again.

it's ok to eat fish though, cos they don't have any feelings.

Havent you seen Finding Nemo greendreams?? :P lol