The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
watertrade

starting a garden in canberra

Hi Guys,

just wondering if you could give me some guidance on what plants you thing might have a good chance in canberra?

I will probably get cuttings from SAB once I have an idea where to start. This really is the beginning. Currently my garden has a odd mix from the previous owner.

Below is a bit of data about canberras climate.

Cheers

Jim

Month......Max temp.....min temp.....rain.....frost

Jan............(27.7).........(12.9)........(60).....(0)

Feb............(26.9).........(12.9)........(57).....(0)

Mar............(24.4).........(10.7)........(54).....(.3)

Apr.............(19.6).........(6.5).........(50)......(5)

May............(15.1).........(.9)...........(48)......(14.2)

Jun..............(12)...........(.8)...........(37)......(17.9)

Jul..............(11.1)..........(-.3)..........(39)......(21)

Aug.............(12.8).........(.8)...........(49)......(18.8)

Sep.............(15.9).........(2.9)........ (52)......(13.3)

Oct..............(19.1).........(5.9).........(69)........(6)

Nov..............(22.5).........(8.4)........(62).......(2)

Dec...............(26)...........(11.1).......(49)......(.3)

....................................................(626)

Edited by watertrade

Hey Watertrade,

Good to see a fellow canberran :)

Lots of plants are good to go here, all depends on what your trying to achieve :) They have to be frost tollerant and drought tollerant (not a necesity if you can keep watering up) helps to.

Here are some plants that I have in my lil patch,

Ephedras

Carex

Acacia longifolia, triptera, obtusifolia.

Sceletium

Catha Edulis (Narrow leaf)

Cyperus

Acorus

Sida

Lactuca (serrosa is EVERY where)

Petalostylis labicheoides (butterfly bush)

There are many more suitable for ACT but i've only been collecting for 4 months or so. Theres many more on my wish list :)

Ace lives in this neck of the woods to Im sure he'll be able to suggest some as well.

have fun :)

Hey WT - great thread topic!

In my garden I've got cacti coming out every orrifice - mostly Pachs, scops and cuzcos, as well as C. peruvianus and opuntias. Apart from the cold, which they dont mind too much, they love our climate, and there are a few nice cacti around if you have a look. I have all mine potted so i can throw them in the shed over winter to avoid rot from the frosts.

I have also got a few from my postage box garden as can be seen in another thread, though they are all in a mini greenhouse and arent all that happy with the canberra weather so far... perhaps a little more acclimitisation is needed yet. These include caapi, viridis, r. corymbosa, and a few others.

Most of my ethnos need to be kept indoors or well away from our lousy temps. And I'm still pretty new to the whole ethno gardening, so I've yet to try cultivating most species. In time, I'll add to this thread with what works and what doesn't.

Harry has a pretty good list, so I'd go with some of those as a starting point :)

Good luck and we should keep this thread alive for later reference :lol:

Ace

Thanks guys,

It gives me a good place to start!.

I will let you know what happens.

:)

I assume we're talking perennials only here?

A couple more suggestions:

Wormwood

Heimia

Acacia Phleb (only if you know what you're doing)

Leonotus (should bounce back every spring, provided the root stock is well-developed)

Argemona (ditto)

As for a couple of the other suggestions:

Sida - seems to need to be chopped off at the base in order to spring back properly

Sceletium - summer sun more of an issue

Ephedra - doesn't seem to be totally happy over winter, but doesn't die either

Khat - well I can't seem to grow it in any season :blink:, but would like to hear more about frost-tolerant varieties. My last red-leaf blackened in May, which isn't a good sign.

Any updates on your progress Watertrade?

Successes? Failures?

I ask because I'm relocating :)

Just thought I should metion caapi & catha are illegal to grow in ACT.

catha edulis will survive mild frosts only.

ephedras are full frost hardy, dystachia (helvetica) evn can take more than minus 25 deg celsius.

Any updates on your progress Watertrade?

Successes? Failures?

I ask because I'm relocating :)

Sorry MORG, I can't give much feedback shortly after that question I decided to start building a greenhouse ( which still isn't finished) I'm going to be doing a full garden overhaul too so I though I better hold off.

So your moving to Canberra?

I'm pretty sure we are losing one of our Canberra friends so it will be good to have some more locals.

Woot! Come on over guys/gals - we need some new friends now that Harry has left! :wub:

Oh great! I move away and and you peeps move right in :rolleyes: Do I smell? Do I have ring worms?

Hehehe, prolly be back in a year or so. Take care of them Ace.

As for what survives in the ACT...

Narrow leaf cat cruised through last winter, didn't know it was illegal there. :blush:

Ephedra no worries.

Acacias happy as harry.

Trichs if ya get the watering right.

I lost a lot of other interesting plants during winter which was more due to neglect and a swarm of aphids that attacked late in summer. If you have room indoors then take your pick :)

Enjoy the ACT pplz.

I've had luck with brugs, daturas, sceletium, catha (sheltered in winter), ephedra, heimia and the cacti.

My experiments growing caapi, HBWR and P. Viridis a few years ago failed dismally when my greenhouse turned into an oven :BANGHEAD2:

Heya Mr Farrz, havent seen you round here before. Shame bout your losses - canberra is a pain in the arse to grow some of the rainforest types (caapi/viridis)... Even brugs and dats are a pain unless you have a warm spot year round for them (like a greenhouse).

I think we might have to organise a bit of a meet for all us canberran folk in the near future. After all, we are fantastic :lol: That bloody Harry bloke - he's too cool to hang round with us canberran folk these days... :P Ahh well, he left his cacti collection for me, so I'd better not bag him out too much :wink: Woot for cacti!

I think we might have to organise a bit of a meet for all us canberran folk in the near future. After all, we are fantastic :lol: That bloody Harry bloke - he's too cool to hang round with us canberran folk these days... :P Ahh well, he left his cacti collection for me, so I'd better not bag him out too much :wink: Woot for cacti!

indeed.

I've had luck with brugs, daturas, sceletium, catha (sheltered in winter), ephedra, heimia and the cacti.

My experiments growing caapi, HBWR and P. Viridis a few years ago failed dismally when my greenhouse turned into an oven :BANGHEAD2:

i grew catha through last winter, unsheltered, with no hassles, here in hobart.... oh, i guess that I don't get a frost in my yard... that could make a difference i sopse!

Edited by XipeTotec

Heya Mr Farrz, havent seen you round here before. Shame bout your losses - canberra is a pain in the arse to grow some of the rainforest types (caapi/viridis)... Even brugs and dats are a pain unless you have a warm spot year round for them (like a greenhouse).

Hi Ace, I used to be around as Kitty until my garden passed away and I struggled to find the time and motivation to get back into my garden, then I realised I didn't know my password, and with the forums having gone through a few changes thought a new nickname would be easier than bothering T.

Mmm, greenhouse... Building one of those is down as my Autumn project :)

A meet sometime sounds great

C.

Hi Ace, I used to be around as Kitty until my garden passed away and I struggled to find the time and motivation to get back into my garden, then I realised I didn't know my password, and with the forums having gone through a few changes thought a new nickname would be easier than bothering T.

Mmm, greenhouse... Building one of those is down as my Autumn project :)

A meet sometime sounds great

C.

Dear Mr. Farrz, Ace and fellow Canberra people,

I am new to Canberra also and looking to network with similar minded people. I think a meetup would good opportunity to share some key ideas?

Any suggestions on a day or time? I think sometime before the 2nd January or on a weekend would be best? Always open to suggestion? :)

Look forward to hearing from you,

BB

Dear Mr. Farrz, Ace and fellow Canberra people,

I am new to Canberra also and looking to network with similar minded people. I think a meetup would good opportunity to share some key ideas?

Any suggestions on a day or time? I think sometime before the 2nd January or on a weekend would be best? Always open to suggestion? :)

Look forward to hearing from you,

BB

are u a murderer?

are u a murderer?

LOL

I'm not sure about before Jan 2, it sounded good until I realised it was FOUR DAYS AWAY. Need more holidays... *sigh*

LOL

I'm not sure about before Jan 2, it sounded good until I realised it was FOUR DAYS AWAY. Need more holidays... *sigh*

No worries :) Anytime on a weekend should be fine, Just let me know what a good time would be?

Cheers, BB