The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Serpent

San Pedro Cutting Help

Ok before people get annoyed about asking a newbie question, I’ve searched. But can’t find exactly what I’m looking for. Possibly using wrong search terms... hmm

Anyway I just got my pachanoi from SAB and don’t know which way to plant it :blink: I remember reading a thread some were that had identification to finding which way is up. But I can’t find it for the life of me :P

Also not sure what to make of the black splotches on the pups, Id though it would be damage through transport, but better be safe then sorry. And is the red normally on the cuttings?

J.

post-2632-1170118855_thumb.jpg

post-2632-1170118868_thumb.jpg

Edited by GiR

Umm look at the cactus and see which way the aerole (where the spines come out) is facing it should be placed so the aerole is slightly bent upwards. Best method I know of and is ture for all the colmulnar cacti I have.

Hi Gir,

I can tell you now that red colour on the base is rot or some sort of nasty - cut it off. Cut it a slice at a time until theres no more to be seen without wasting valuable inches. Once all the red is gone, sterilise your knife with some alcohol/metho and make another fine slice to make sure that the wound will heal without any more contams.

The black patches on the pups look normal - damaged from either transport or when pruning, weather etc. These will heal and remain as 'beauty' spots :P

The spines should be slightly downward pointing (or so is the case for most of mine) like the attached pic (sorry, poor quality, but try and make do)

post-2347-1170119954_thumb.jpg

Only plant up when the wound has healed (moreso if its the bottom - can plant as long as the bottom has healed) to the consistency of cork or similar.

Judging by those pics, she's not the most beautiful girl in the garden, but with a little love and care, she'll mature nicely for you. Just be sure to get rid of the rot.

If you cant figure out which way to plant - maybe try a horizontal planting. This has been discussed wlsewhere, so I'll let you find it ;)

Good luck

Ace

None of the knives could cut the woody middle, so I ended up using a fine hacksaw blade.

Also im pritty sure ive sorted which way is up

post-2632-1170130230_thumb.jpg

post-2632-1170130300_thumb.jpg

Edited by GiR

the pups are at the base of the cut.

i sent u out a larger piece as it was fresh cut, and u may have to cut some of the funkyness from the fresh cut.not much though. i advise to cut a slice of the end of the fresh cut and place in a spot where it wont get knocked in the shade where there is plenty of air circulation, for the freshly cut end to scab over, then plant in a free draining mix(little moisture doesnt hurt now and then to promote rooting) keep in a shaded area till it sets its own roots and grows a bit then move to wherever u want

it. seems like a big,burly hardy strain of pach, u should have no probs.

Anyoo, its been great fun bein the sab fairy, it was really my fav part of the job sending all the plants off, hope i didnt do to bad of a job and didnt massacre to many plants in transit!!!

hope ur plants are flourishing, and look forward to looking at lots of neato photos of them all when they have grown up a little. especially the kk range of cacti. that blue macrogonus looks sweet ay??

would really like to see what they have grown to look like in different climates.

But to answer the post, mate u should have san pedro coming out of every orrifice in a year or so, i really thought that was the choicest chunkiest cut. Hope it all goes well, feel free to pm me if u have any hassles.

hooroo,

-jono

If the red/orange colored area is not soft to the touch then it is not likely to be rot at all, in fact its quite common to see it on tricho cuttings, Im not sure what causes it but Im guessing its some kind of oxidation.

However be aware thatr there is a red infection out there but Ive only seen it on lopho's not tricho's

probly being padentic, but there a darker green area around one of the ribs thats a little softer then the others.

I had the same thing happen to some san pedro cuttings after it had rained. It rubbed the bottom of the cacti off like rot so I assumed it was rot and cut it off.

as i say, give it a drying of period, then plant, all will be good.

Its been a week and the ends are dryiny and the red is not comming back. But ive noticed in increse in the brusing area around the bigger wound and little black dots appearing around. The black dots are not mushy, but there are more devolpoing, start as a light brown.

post-2632-1170760284_thumb.jpg

post-2632-1170760326_thumb.jpg

Kinda hard to tell, but if thats a white mould/nasty growing off that pup in the second pic, cut it off and let it calous. But it could very well be the reflection of the flash :) Most of the bruises will not be in their most obvious until about a week after the damage is caused. After this they wont get much worse.

I have found this orange dis-colouring on the scarred ends to be harmless. A few of my cuttings have developed this after drying. I find it happens when they dry outside ! They were planted and developed roots quite quickly.

how do you tell its white mold? I can wipe it off with my finger very gently? Its also much more noticble in the photo, didnt even notice disscolouration until you pointed it out.

Sorry to but in, but I am confused. I recently recieved a nice cutting from SAB, and have followed instructions. Now it has come time to plant. I too am wondering which way is up. So I read this thread and Mark80 said the aerole should be slightly turned up for the correct way to plant and then Ace said they need to be slightly turned down.

And seeing as my new little baby came all wrapped up the spines are pointing all over the place, so I looked closer and saw that the area from where they protrude are all pointing slightly up (or down) in the same direction. Which is what I hope you guys are taking about (the aerole). Can anyone help :scratchhead:

Hi Horizon,

Sorry to confuse :P On the specimens I have, as pictured, the areole points up and out, with spines somewhat downward pointing. now this is highly varied from cactus to cactus, but you will notice the general shape of it, or the silhouette which is generally similar across the board. Have a look at the pic I posted previously, and I think you will be able to understand what I mean...

But just remember that they are all somewhat different. If you still cant work it out - just plant the whole cut on its side - the pups still seem to come out of the top anyway :)

Re: orange colouring - I have recently made a couple cuttings and it appears the orange colour is very common. Nothing to worry about - just keep an eye out for moulds and rot.

Good luck all

Ace

Cool. Thanks alot Ace I do see what you mean now

Well its been about a month and its been sitting for 2 weeks drying and 2 weeks in dry perlite. Went to check up today and noticed a huge growth in one of the shoots and a tiny little guy poping up (Front Right) :blush:

But wont all this growing take away from growing roots?

Going to water, well mist the base tomorrow which will be the 1st time since I got it..

PS I read a wile back that having to many branches slows down growth? When the little ones grows some more should i cut it off and plant?

post-2632-1172822426_thumb.jpg

Edited by GiR

Ok my cutting still has no roots, which dosnt surprise me, but what dose is that one of the shoots has doubled in length, and now the tip is turning yellow well more of white, and one of the small pups that formed on the top died, and the second one is gone yellow.

whats going on?? is in shade

i am only new at growing cacti from cuttings, so my advice will only be common sense more than from experience. I dont know how to encourage rooting, but if I had pups growing and dying... I would consider cutting them off, and rooting them on their own... dont know what anyone else thinks about this though..

Edited by shroomytoonos

Hi GiR,

"one of the shoots has doubled in length, and now the tip is turning yellow well more of white"

This is called etiolation, it tends to happen when the cactus keeps growing when there is little light. Pachs naturally go dormant in winter, when there is less light and it is colder. If it is fairly warm, and not very bright, then etiolation may occur. It also sometimes seems to occur when the piece is new growth or has been chopped only recently and then moved into a low light situation.

Recommendations: those pups will put out shoots A LOT sooner than that gnarly old piece will, chop them off and let them dry in a fairly bright area if it is warm there, or put them in a nice cold dark place if you have one... also that way you will have four root systems forming instead of only one, and the energy for each plant will be much greater. For example, if I have one big pach with five pups, the growing energy being delivered by the single root system is spread thinner between all the pups...

Moisture doesn't seem to make any difference to the appearance of roots for me, although there are others who swear that it does.. once a couple of roots have appeared however, I have found it makes a massive difference to their growth if the end with roots is placed in some dry soil, allowed to sit for a couple of weeks, and then given a decent watering during nice warm weather (when it will dry out quickly).

I too have seen that orange stuff on the surface of a number of my cuttings, particularly from the NZ supposed TJG, and have not had any trouble with it...

BUT

My brother got a big mature macro cutting from someone, and it had a very similar looking orange discoloring, and he assumed it was the same thing, but less than a week later it had rotted out much of the inside of the cactus into a sloppy orangey mess, and only about half of a 6 foot piece was salvaged... :(

The moral of the story?

I don't know exactly, but at least with non-pach trichs, keep half an eye on that orange stuff just in case.

Edited by Chilli

Mate ideal conds for rooting are warmth, sun and predominantly dry! If I were you I would allow my cuttings some direct sun.

Not a great deal but a little each day. Just keep an eye on the ribs of your cutting, if they are nice and round or "turgid" then let them see some sun. Once they are looking a little less full then I would avoid the sun!

I find nice warm and a little sunnd works best.

Also, your potting medium is not so good. 100% perlite has never worked for me.

Try 50% perlite 50% rich organic compost.

Chers.