The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
obtuse

peganum harmala seedling photos

Hi everyone,

Anyone have any photos of peganum harmala seedlings as they break the surface of the soil.

I have been fooled a few times by other plants growing in the same soil. I grabbed some crappy soil from my back yard, and obviously there were other seeds in the soil.

I am not having much luck so far and a bit of a beginner, so i am trying different variations of conditions, with no luck so far - i think.

If i knew what i was looking for it would make life just that little bit easier.

cheers, Obtuse

I have been fooled a few times by other plants growing in the same soil. I grabbed some crappy soil from my back yard, and obviously there were other seeds in the soil.

If you are going to use soil from the back yard your best bet is to sterilize it. Put the soil to a plasic container suitable for microwave. Then add some water and microwave for several minutes...... say 8 should do it. Then the soil will be sterilized and you won't have that problem anymore.

i cant remember what the coteledons look like but the next lot of leaves will look like little tridents.

Hi I hope this helps, it's a few days old seedling on the back and an older one in front

post-3018-1170168443_thumb.jpg

Thomas

I went and inspected my greenhouse this morning, and to my surprise i noticed a peganum harmala seedling had finally come up. I had thought it was a weed and was going to chuck it any day soon so i could use the container. Thanks to Hagakure who mentioned the leaves look like little tridents

post-2028-1170748336_thumb.jpg

post-2028-1170748498_thumb.jpg

Now that i know what i'm looking at i realised i also had another in the same pot, and another in a different pot. we've just had quite a few days of solid heat here in tas so i guess that helps. but the elder of the three is a couple of weeks old now, I just didn't realise earlier what it was.

post-2028-1170748554_thumb.jpg

I am including a photo of the container and the completely crappy soil these two are growing in. The soil is a mixture of crappy soil from my backyard, river sand and a little seedling mix. Originally I was soaking the soil completely and then letting it dry out, thats probably why that green stuff started growing. Then i stopped bothering and just watered just in case, but only rarely. This seems to have done the trick. all the other weeds died.

post-2028-1170748661_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I'm pretty happy. :drool2: Now its a matter of keeping them alive.

cheers, Obtuse

Edited by obtuse

Congratulations dude!

Well done. Many members here have tried to propagate Peganum harmala with little to no success. There are lots of stories of making it to three-four weeks then the plant reddening out and dying.

For some reason I didn't have this issue and actually got a decent one growing now. It died back once over spring but is reshooting again.

Make sure you supply it with plenty of rootspace, but don't overlove it. Remember this is a weed species in South Australia. Sobriquet suggested adding lime not too long ago, but I'm not sure how effective this is yet. Maybe you can try it out on one or two of your seedlings and letting us know how they fare versus the unlimed?

Congrats again :)

Hi everyone,

It been two months since i was successful with my first couple of syrian rue seedlings.

since then the other in the same pot got munched by a snail. then i had 8 more come up in other pots only to get killed by a heatwave.

But this one has survived.

post-2028-1175827618_thumb.jpg

post-2028-1175827739_thumb.jpg

(edit) Oh yeah thats a peters 2 litre ice cream container. just so you know the scale.

It's looking fairly healthy, so i'm pretty happy. I will bring it inside for the tassie winter, but would like to move it into a better pot. Is it safe to move it now, or will moving it disturb the roots and shock it too much. If it will shock it too much, i'll just leave it in the same pot.

I had another seedling pop up only a few days ago after deciding i would try and grow some more, so i'm doing something right.

Anyway i will go UTSE as well, but any advice would be more than welcome.

Cheers, Obtuse.

Edited by obtuse

if you repot it, i would cut the icrecream container and position the soil undisturbed into the larger pot so you disrupt the roots as little as possible. looks like a fair bit of soil available for the plant though. anyone have an idea of how much older plants need?

wut a thread to resurrect!!

P1110955.jpg

• Like 5

The only time I ever tried to grow Rue, I was told that there wasn't a great germ rate with them, so I threw a hundred or so seeds in a small pot....

They all germinated and then clog the pot and killed each other...

It was a rough Rue suicide...

I think I need to try with less next time...

ok I have a semi dead rue that is still green but may be in dormancy, Anyway I still have some seeds for spring. Mutant what soil mix did you use and how much sun do you give that them? Cheers

I just started a few last month. I keep them in full sun and they get watered like once every two weeks. They're still very young too. They're turning into really short fat seedlings too which is contrary to what I hear about them, I think a lot of people treat them like normal seedlings and keep them constantly wet and in low light then they etiolate like crazy.

germination rates are extremely good if the seed is good.

I believe especially these xerophytic plants are better off when sowed early in the season... as early as november I would tell you, if you live in a warm enough place, I know I have sowed nicotiana, hyoscyamus, daturas in november and they loved it... same goes for this years Peganum, which started early spring, which seems like its started well!

As for sun, the tray was in full sun from day one - the plantlets are still in full sun, no shade at all!

I sowed in a normal potting soil (plus perlite) , in a flat tray where I also sowed other things. Seedling were crawded but not too crawded, up until the transplant. Sowing was done early begining of spring, and after the first month the tray was exposed to the rains of this years spring. So the soil was not particularly lighter, it had more or less the same perlite I put f.e. for Trichos and watering was pretty full on most of the time during spring (in a way it was like automn, as it was a cool spring).

The transplantings revealed nice fatty roots had formed, and they seem to like it in their new pots..

So all in all, I tend to believe that this plant does not have the time to grow enough starting in summer, let alone at hot times the soil dries so fast that they might well be in a dormancy and wake up again next automn.

PS: I had one plant that seemed to die in mid summer or something.. Dont throw it away, it should sprout in automn like mine did.....

• Like 2