favourite authors and books

Hi Everyone,

Who / what is your favoute:

Author / Book

Ethnobotanical author / Ethnobotanical book

Whacko out there author / Whacko out there book

Most severe mind Bending book

I'll start with me

hard choice between Jack Kerouac, Thomas Hardy and Shakespeare - any by these guys

Terrence Mckenna - at the moment his "Food of the Gods"

Carlos Casteneda - his "The Eagles Gift", was when he lost me.

"The Invisible Landscape" by Terrence Mckenna, or "A Thousand Plateaus" by Gilles Deleuze and Félix Guattari (I can't decide)

cheers, Obtuse

Edited by obtuse

"How to hypnotize chooks" by Max Walker

:wink:

Doulas Adams- All of his works

Hitchhickers guide to the Galaxy,

Resturaunt at the end of the universe,

So long and thanks for all the fish

Life, the universe and everything

Mostly Harmless

Dirk Gentries Holistic detective agency

Starship Titanic

etc,etc.............................

Hi Everyone,

Who / what is your favoute:

Today this, tommorrow something else ...

Author / Book => Don DeLillo/ White Noise

Ethnobotanical author / Ethnobotanical book => Terrence McKenna / Food Of The Gods

Whacko out there author / Whacko out there book => James Redfield / The Celestine Prophecy

Most severe mind Bending book => Stephen Hawking / a Brief History of Time

Currently reading Michael Herr / Dispatches, which is awesome.

Edited by auto

Ethnobotanical author / Ethnobotanical book--Peter Stafford "Psychedelics Encyclopedia" on amazon

Whacko out there author / Whacko out there book---Robert Anton Wilson "Prometheus Rising" on amazon

Most severe mind Bending book---Bertrand Russell "An Inquiry into Meaning & Truth"

Ethnobotanical author / Ethnobotanical book => Terrence McKenna / Food Of The Gods

Most severe mind Bending book => Stephen Hawking / a Brief History of Time

A Brief History of Time is outstanding - I used to be quite the fan of Quantum mechanics/physics etc, even though it was all a little over my head. Steven Hawking has some incredibly interesting notions well detailed in this book. Hard to get your noggin around - but unbelievably interesting :P

Food of the Gods - is there a copy of this available over the net (i.e. a freebie)? I'd love to have a read but cant bloody afford it atm lol :(

favourite non-fiction book: Anarchy! An Anthology of Emma Goldman's Mother Earth/varous authors edited and compiled by peter glassgold

favourite fiction authors: tom robbins, william s. burroughs, hunter s. thompson, kurt vonnegut, anne rice

favourite whacko book: bringers of the dawn/barbara marciniak

and i have no favourite ethno book as of yet, but my favourite gardening book is botany for gardeners by brian capon.

author - stephen donaldson

book - 'Winter's Tale', by Mark Helprin - Review

Ethno - Lewis Carrol, 'Alice in Wonderland & Through The Looking Glass'

FFFB - Rip Off Press :lol: - Freaknet

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - legendary :shroomer:

best researched book on any drug i've read: ketamine: dreams and realities by karl jansen.

olaf stapledon - starmaker -- interesting ideas about consciousness.

i feel bad, i don't read much fiction, and these days all i do is read science articles.

one article that's stood out to me:

Psychosis as a State of Aberrant Salience: A Framework Linking Biology, Phenomenology, and Pharmacology in Schizophrenia

Last interesting book I read was "Life of Pi" Jan Martel which I think is a kind of whacko book.

Philip K. Dick's books are also great.

Mind Bender? -> Prime Obsession: Berhhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics by John Derbyshire. Actually quite a readable book.

My Alltime Favourite is Mario Puzos Godfather. I also like other Trivial Books like William Peter Blattys Exorcist or some Short Novels from H.P. Lovecraft as i rarely read about Philosophy. I like Books of Hans Rudi Giger though that belongs more in the art section. My Favourite Comic Series is PREACHER. Really Outstanding for a comic. I also liked SUNZI´s ART OF WAR as it is so simple but so true.

At the Moment my favourite Book about plants is the Handbook of Plant Cell Culture. It contains many interesting stuff. My Fave Ethnobotanical Book is Ott´s Book about Snuffs. I forgot about the name but it even looks great! But i also loved Schultes Pflanzen der Götter as it was one of my first ethnobotanical ones and also one of them i´ve read all the time. I rarely read fictional stuff as there are still so many books filled up with interesting facts that i want to have first. This way i also make sure that there are plenty of philosophical books to discover in case i get old. I really can´t tell you any bad books i can remember as i don´t read a book for a longtime if it dissapoints me.No, i was wrong, Stephen King really bored me when i was younger and i always thought it might get better but it wasn´t. The worst was probably one of his dark towers baddies. And i absolutely hate Kafka! I start to get tired anytime when i´m thinking about his name. The Best Book about Men and Women is THE SELFISH GENE! Or probably HABEN ODER SEIN. I have Problems to decide when i´m talking about books. bye Eg

Im a fan of Burroughs and I also recently enjoyed Mothman Prophercies by John Keel - kinda cool read.

I dont generally like ethnobotanical books - Im yet to read one that had any significant impact on me other than annoyance at wasting my time reading it...

Cheers nabraxas - shame the file is sooo huge ;)
yeah it is huge, but if you only want Food of the Gods you download the torrent & then when you goto open it in UTorrent or whatever you untick all the other files & just leave Food of the Gods to download :)

evolutionNth--Emma Goldman's pretty cool, i love her quote

If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.

her lover & co-conspirator Alexander Berkman also wrote some excellent stuff, especially his The ABC of Anarchism

Im a fan of Burroughs
yeah... the Tarzan series & the Land that Time Forgot stuff rocks ;) Edited by nabraxas

no buy amazon for revolutionary ideologies.

i only post the amazon links because in general the reader reviews are quite illuminating.

I neglected to mention one of my all time favorites...

1984 by George Orwell.

The most striking thing in the book in my opinion is the concept of language Orwell presents - Nuspeak and Doublethink - supported by the editing of all documents in order to conform to the party view and position. Many dystopian futures have an element of unreality or unbelievableness that results in dissatisfaction and fakeness.

1984 differs from these fluffy dystopias in that many of its horrifying things, the chief one of which is CENSORSHIP happens in the real world and affects things in big ways. The disappearance of things into the memory hole.

It's more close to home than what people think. Even on the forum there is a team of moderators ready to send your posts into the memory hole. Censorship sucks arse big time. If you don't like a thread then make a trash section and allow it to be intact for historical accurate review if necessary. None of this wanker type delete key bullshit that seems to be condoned here.

My favorite fictional series is the 'Earths Children' series by Jean M. Auel- it has exploration, adventure, ethnobotany, mystical wisdom, a love story, and cave man sex all rolled together with rigorously researched scientific knowledge.

I also like '1984' and 'Brave New World' simply because I think my countries future lies along some path that basically represents a fusion of the two (especially if, for brave new world, you study the movie as well as the book).