The Corroboree
Hagakure

comics

well there are a whole host of random interest threads out there so thought i may as well start one for comics.

loved em as a kid but i only got em secondhand and therefore never read full stories.

now people are scanning them and putting them up on torrents so you can get the whole series of hard to get comics.

top stuff.

one im reading at the moment is "Transmetropolitan"

the main character is based on hunter s thompson. kinda gung ho journalist only its all set in the future.

kinda cool. heaps different to the stuff i normally read.

the sandman series is considered essential reading by all comic snobs. very nice plots sometimes. just different.

sin city is another good one.

and on topic of recent film adaptations im reading V for vendetta at the moment as well and its pretty good.

preacher is a really fucked up twisted comic but definately worth reading. much more adult than most but pretty entertaining. reading that i was always like "what the hell is going to happen here?"

also gotten into some japanese horror comics by a writer called junji ito. "uzumaki" is the most twisted stuff i have read in a while. bloody freaky. the whole comic is about spirals.

there are a few of my favourites. anyone else a comic fan?

Hi Hagakure,

Not much of a comic book fan, though I used to be a die-hard Ninja Turtles fan (only recently - ok, well most of my life) and managed to score a couple original comics off ebay for a pretty low price. I read them when I first received them, but got them wrapped up and in safe keeping for later use now (wether that might be for future sale or just to hold onto). Also got a heap of figurines and toys, but I guess that is showing my age a little :P

Ace

Hey Everyone,

who out there remembers "fabulous furry freak brothers".

Another fun comic was "Groo". And "Asterix", who could ever forget the old druid getafix.

Recently i discovered Moebius after having watched Blueberry, and was wondering if anyone knew if there were any english translations of the "Blueberry" comics and of any of his other works.

cheers, Obtuse

Hmmm,

Never heard of them.

had a quick look and seems interesting.

will have a better look later.

thanks for the tip Passive Demon.

Cheers, Obtuse

Cheers Haq some of those sound good.

The Maxx would have to be one of my favorite comics, and the animated series is well worth tracking down also. brilliant stuff!

for those who aren't familiar, here's a summary:

"The series follows the story of The Maxx, a homeless man who believes he is a superhero. The Maxx shifts between the real world and a dream world, which he refers to as The Outback, which is just as real to him as the real world. Julie Winters is a "freelance social worker", who befriends The Maxx. Little does she know that she and The Maxx have a deeper connection, and it involves the dream world into which The Maxx is constantly drawn."

yeah i watched the maxx on sbs back in the day

i tracked down the comic recently - it is almost identical to the television series hey

the maxx and aeon flux where the best 2 things that came out of MTV, with liquid television a close 3rd

passive - i got a mate who is big into graffiti etc and he loves cheech wizard etc. some of those old hippy era comics are really really cool. some crumb etc is also high quality, other stuff is just strange.

american splendour is also another first class comic. autobiographical. really really good quality.

i just finished a series called "the losers" which is sort of military/action 10X better than most hollywood movies

at least it starts out pretty damn good and then loses the magic a little at the end

the maxx rocks, as do the others of MTV's oddities and liquid television. full season of the maxx is on youtube. OH and Aeon FLux accually started out on liquid television, my fav episode was that egg the people would eat, it would send them into a total blissed out state, but after they comdown they have to relearn who they are, how to speak and such. fuckin wild!

anyone ever hear of an underground comic called Alpha Omega? some freinds in highschool and I put it together, i left the group/comic and they kept goin, jus curious if it got anywhere LOL.

Edited by Amulte

Penny Arcade (gaming comic):

20061120.jpg

Unshelved (librarian comic):

20041128.gif

Just a couple of favs. I have a list of about ten or so webcomics I read :)

comics?

or me there used to be only 2 kinds of comics:

Robert Crumb Comics (seem to have died out, even on ebay there's very few)

and the comics from

heavy metal magazine (nothing to do with heavy metal music, which is boring)

of which "corben" and "moebius" used to be the best.

They've all disappeared?

Too bad...

I havent read that many 'real' comics, but some web comics are alright. This is what I found trawling through my MSN Received Files

From Ctrl+Alt+Del:

post-1697-1169533710_thumb.jpgpost-1697-1169533585_thumb.jpg

Somehwre i cant remember from:

post-1697-1169533434_thumb.jpg

I've read quite a few of the Electra series and

and the comics from heavy metal magazine of which "corben" and "moebius" used to be the best.

post-1697-1169533585_thumb.jpg

post-1697-1169533710_thumb.jpg

post-1697-1169533585_thumb.jpg

post-1697-1169533710_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Yeah the Maxx was really interesting. I'm still not quite sure i got it. I should watch it again. I remember it being very psychoananlytical.

Aeon FLux was fantastic. a simply amazing cartoon.

I agree with Gomaos. I think good comics are few and far between. And these days its a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

Of course its like everything, each to their own.

But i love deep and heavy comics / cartoons that you can come back to years later and still wonder what the hell was going on, but they do seem to be very rare, and growing moreso.

some good ones listed so far

simon_marklar- im a big fan of sluggy and read a few years worth but forgot to come back each day after i caught up.

gomaos - read a fair bit of crumb. Harvey Pekar was a wicked writer from that time period.

been through a fair few heavy metal magazines. some times the storys are crap but art is guaranteed to be something special. then once in a while you get a really really good story. was this twisted one i read about this insane killer. intense stuff. will see if i can find it on torrent.

obtuse - with you on deep comics with clever scripts. Sandman is a trip. transmetropolitan is very fun and thoughtprovoking. akira project is nice action romp but very very indepth. the ghost in the shell comic is also very indepth.

Edited by Hagakure

the heavy metal website

in the UK kids were raised on comics like the Beano & Dandy before progressing to stuff like 2000AD (i used to own issues 1 to 100+, but my mum chucked them when i left home....they'd be worth a fortune today.... :rolleyes: )

There are so many good comics: anything by Alan Moore, the original HellBlazer, Akira, The Adventures of Luther Arkwright, Batman:The Dark Knight Returns & Sin City to name a few.

Ahh, Cheech wizard and Vaughn bode' EROTICA series, an absolute graffers dream.... Got a small collection here with me... Ah...rembering long nights of full colour throw-ups, chromies, characters, smoking kush and running from transit cops... Ahh... what a childhood!

Yes the early MTV'ers were great. The maxx(still have a video) and aeon, along with the great ol FFFB and "rip snorting cocaine comix", a true coke lovers comic. All classics. And of course MAd comics... boy did i get in trouble when mum found them when i was in primary school!

I also have some old jap comics that are along the same, twisted mega violent lines. Most enjoyable :)

And the good lo VIS, pure english toilet humour and the first pot seed catalogue/mail order i had ever seen!

Gees peeps, you have made my childhhod memories flood back to me!! Thanks!!

Edited by BlackDragon

And the good lo VIS, pure english toilet humour and the first pot seed catalogue/mail order i had ever seen!

HEHE, i loved VIZ.

postman pat and his black and white bengal tiger lol

Cheers Haq some of those sound good.

The Maxx would have to be one of my favorite comics, and the animated series is well worth tracking down also. brilliant stuff!

Yeah, back when MTV was good, it use to show a lot of crazy ass cartoons on its "Liquid Television". My favorite series has to be Aeon Flux however. All the episodes are now on dvd, and its well worth getting.

As far as comics the Watchmen and anything else by Alan Moore.

I also enjoyed Maus, in which an elderly holocaust victim tells his son his story in living during that time.

I've also read the first to books of The Invisibles, and its highly recommend that for anyone of drug/timetravel/occult -esque esoterica.

Also see "A Drug War Carol" http://www.adrugwarcarol.com/ You can read it free online but its only about $7 to buy it. Very worth it.

I'm pretty new to comics since I was never too into the super hero comics and didn't realize that there was another aspect to that artform. I've only been into comics for about a year.

Edited by liftyourskinnyfists

Perry Bible Fellowship is the most consistently funny shit I've encountered.

I'm up to vol. 3 of Transmetropolitan, which I see (so far) as a world intentionally crafted to be both familiar and have infinite possibilities, which is a hook for me. That, and I've always liked Dr. Thompson, caricature and all.