The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

Nicotine Patches and Dreaming

When giving up cigarettes using patches(which I wore while sleeping, I had some full on dreams. Just out of interest, amongst other themes, a few of these dreams, which were often the type, which, say, you think you have woken up and are doing stuff around your house etc, contained fire. Say, in the form of, I think I have woken up, and I am cruising around doing something,and something in my house, like the window sill for instance, will be burning, or something else will be burning, has anyone else had similar dreams while using patches.

Edited by shroomytoonos

stuff

Edited by spudamore

Mmm Interesting,

When i gave up cigerettes last year i went on patches, and for the first two weeks had incredibly vivid dreams. The pharmacist had mentioned that it seemed to be common but there was really no scientific evidence so it was more a point of interest.

I didn't give it a second thought, as i thought well its only nicotine like its going to affect my dreams. I was quite surprised. My dreams were indeed extremely lucid.

So is it purely a chemical reaction or is it psychological or a combination. In my case i was giving up a ten year addiction, so it would be quite reasonable to expect that it was my subconscious reacting to the fact that a major part of my daily / evening routine had suddenly ceased.

But i guess also the changes in chemicals, a change in dopamine and/or serotonin levels most probably.

Anything to do with the body not having to stimulate acetyl-colene levels as much as normal due to the constant flow of nicotine from the patch?

Anyway whatever the cause it was certainly very interesting. And i wonder if using patches for a night or two recreates the effect, or whether you have to already be a smoker for it to work.

Anybody in the know? I'd be interested to know more about what may cause this perculiar effect.

cheers, Obtuse.

Mmm Interesting,

When i gave up cigerettes last year i went on patches, and for the first two weeks had incredibly vivid dreams. The pharmacist had mentioned that it seemed to be common but there was really no scientific evidence so it was more a point of interest.

I didn't give it a second thought, as i thought well its only nicotine like its going to affect my dreams. I was quite surprised. My dreams were indeed extremely lucid.

So is it purely a chemical reaction or is it psychological or a combination. In my case i was giving up a ten year addiction, so it would be quite reasonable to expect that it was my subconscious reacting to the fact that a major part of my daily / evening routine had suddenly ceased.

But i guess also the changes in chemicals, a change in dopamine and/or serotonin levels most probably.

Anything to do with the body not having to stimulate acetyl-colene levels as much as normal due to the constant flow of nicotine from the patch?

Anyway whatever the cause it was certainly very interesting. And i wonder if using patches for a night or two recreates the effect, or whether you have to already be a smoker for it to work.

Anybody in the know? I'd be interested to know more about what may cause this perculiar effect.

cheers, Obtuse.

I woulod be inclined to think that just wearing the patches would be enough to recreate the experience. These have been the best dream enhancer which I have encounted. The use of nicotine like this draws some similarity to south american use of tobacco juice, and huge cigarettes. I would be tempted to wear patches again during sleep(periodically) if I hadnt have done so well beating the tobacco demon(dont want to feed it again)