The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sobriquet

Leonotis leonurus; important parts.

sorry sobriquet, for hijackesque behaviour

Edited by Airbender

Hello, first harvest of Leonotis leonorus of mine. Here nice eye candy

dscn3713rg9.th.jpg

I also UTSE and read through some of peoples commments and experiences...

questions:

1. Doesn't the freshness of the harvested material play a role? And if so, how could one store the material so as to collect a bunch and then go for an extraction?

Anyways, I am going to experiment with plain flower first anyway [the old folks could not have known extraction techniques] so this brigns us to the second question:

2. What kind of drying would be better? The material was sticky, very sticky... should I avoid heat?

PS: [edit] and Oh! I read that L.nepetifolia is an anual... L.leonorus is a perrenial, no??? At least that's what I thought...

Edited by mutant

ooh, if it's sticky you should try the african style and rub the leaves to collect "hashish".

Hello, first harvest of Leonotis leonorus of mine. Here nice eye candy

dscn3713rg9.th.jpg

I also UTSE and read through some of peoples commments and experiences...

questions:

1. Doesn't the freshness of the harvested material play a role? And if so, how could one store the material so as to collect a bunch and then go for an extraction?

Anyways, I am going to experiment with plain flower first anyway [the old folks could not have known extraction techniques] so this brigns us to the second question:

2. What kind of drying would be better? The material was sticky, very sticky... should I avoid heat?

PS: [edit] and Oh! I read that L.nepetifolia is an anual... L.leonorus is a perrenial, no??? At least that's what I thought...

the freshness doesn't matter with this plant, well cured material might even be stronger.

allways store all your materials in the freezer or fridge.allways avoid heat when drying herbs!

basicly the slower it dries the better.

nepetifolia will grow for two years.

Edited by planthelper

ooh, if it's sticky you should try the african style and rub the leaves to collect "hashish".

tell me more about the african style :)

well cured material might even be stronger.

is there a curing process with this plant?? I did not come across it yet...

i am talking about normal cureing of plant materials so they make a nice tea or smoke, not a special treatment needed to make it strong or smokeable.

most of us would have smoked cannabis which was freshly dried and remeber how harsh it was on our lungs, but the same material cured for weeks or months will result in a milder and softer smoke. cureing happens naturaly, but one can take steps to aid this process (alternate high humidety with low, ice cold with room temp).

cureing and processes happening over time (the begining of the break down of the plant material) will reduce the weight of the herb to a higher degree than as the actives it contains. in other words, the "bulk" will get less but the actives hopefully not!! B)

this process will make your herb stronger than before, because the actives to weight ratio will increase.

i smoked at times a lot of nepetifolia leaf, and it definately improofes by long but proper storage/ giving time for natural curing to take place.

but maybe even some chemical processes actually do take place over time which might turn one compound into a different one with more psychoactive action. an example for a herb wher this seem to happen is kratom.

nepetifolia produced with me never any effects compareable to pot, but on few occasions the relaxed sedation it can produce was noticed a bit more.

Is it better to attempt an exctraction with fresh material before drying, if one can choose?

The dried material I folded in newspaper 2 weeks ago is a bit harsh to smoke and is still a bit sticky. It did produce some 'effects', but more essays are needed, for sure. Planthelper, do you have any tips for a curing process for leonotis leonorus flowers when I shouldn't do anything but wait? [skipping the alternater humidity and dry parts etc] Cool if it works for other material too, even though I noticed that the newpaper drying produced a pleasant hyoscyamus smoke.

I just made the realisation that I have had some of my Leonotis,spp incorrectly labelled!

Anyone that has obtained Seed or Foliage from me, Please note that the product is L.nepeatifolia

Not L.leonurus as I had Previously stated! Apologies for any Mixups. :blush:

While on the subject, I also have a couple of Questions!

1, Does anyone agree with the Wikipedia comment about L.nepeatifolia being more Potent than L.Leonurus?

I Cant really tell much of a difference other than that the Nepeatifolia Cures

to a more Pleasant Tasting and Smoother product when smoked!

2, Once Dried and Cured, Would the plant material "ie" Petals, Calyxes & leaves

lose any potency if just stored in Glad Ziplock bags & placed in a shoebox away from light?

3, Is anyone Growing, Leonotis leonurus v. alba?

I would pay cash or trade something for a few cuttings or seed of this plant!

Thankyou for your patience people,

Here are some Pics of my Leos for you all to Enjoy!

post-16-1227753147_thumb.jpg

post-16-1227754181_thumb.jpg

Edit, Spelling!

Edited by DreamingNagual

while under the influence of silene and inspired by vs's thread i tried some nepetafolia root smoked......impressive but that was on top of the silene.......need to retry when more baseline.....coumarins.....

t s t .

Torsten. what did you use to extract them with? i got a large batch of nepetifolia i want to try different solvents on, any chance you can let us know which ones worked so well for you?

Torsten. what did you use to extract them with? i got a large batch of nepetifolia i want to try different solvents on, any chance you can let us know which ones worked so well for you?

i'm pretty sure refluxing with vodka or alcohol of similar strengh is the way to go, as like this you extract the water and alcohol soluble material in one smart go.

than you still off your alcohol so you can use it for your next batch of leonotis herb, i did this once and some compounds of leonorus are azeotropic!!

a simple coldfinger setup will do the trick (cooking pot with inverted lid, and a reciever vessel set in the centre once you want to still of the alcohol for your next batch).

um, didnt he say 70% ethanol? :scratchhead:

Since leonurus hates me I've got Oregon acclimatized nepetifolia growing this year, I plan to try 50 and 70% isopropanol extractions since iso can be sourced unpoisoned for good prices here.

...I also got a single L. mollissima seed from zanzibar to grow :lol: anybody ever tried that?

70% ethanol is very difficult to obtain in oz, but definately would be my choice!

but not too long ago people said that they found polish spirit 80% at some bottle shops in oz....

in america, one would use everclear, is that right?

I havent a clue, I've never purchased alcohol in my life :lol:

Given the prices of high octane booze I've heard I'd assume it'd be reclaimed by distillation.. if that gear were on hand anyway it may be cheaper to just distill cheap vodka in the first place?

...I just always find a way to use iso when denatured ethanol cant be used since I never prepare tinctures and such.

um, didnt he say 70% ethanol? :scratchhead:

Since leonurus hates me I've got Oregon acclimatized nepetifolia growing this year, I plan to try 50 and 70% isopropanol extractions since iso can be sourced unpoisoned for good prices here.

Isn't all ISO unpoisoned, why not use 91% easy to find?

Yeah I've got 70, 85, 91, 98, and 99% Iso plus home made 50%.. I'm an iso collector :P

However, if 70% ethanol is the best strength of ethanol to use because some water is needed then the best strength of iso would likely be under 70% given that iso is less polar than ethanol. Thats why I'm figurin' to try both 50 and 70%

And no, not all iso is unpoisoned.. some has green dye. Its kind of easy to spot tho :wink:

Stupid question - I guess metho is not safe to use for extracts?

It has high enthanol content (+90% I think), and I remember hearing stories of people drinking it

Stupid question - I guess metho is not safe to use for extracts?

It has high enthanol content (+90% I think), and I remember hearing stories of people drinking it

hehe, i did use metho once for that, but the denaturants make it pretty impossible to use the product of your labour.

what ever denaturant they use, i don't know, but it does a good job, as i had to throw away the extract.

years ago, i saw at times a product called extraction fluid (or similar) traded at the northern rivers area, don't know if it's still on the market, but that would be a good choice, i believe.

Greetings all,

Here are some updated photos on the progress of my L.nepeatifolia.

At the moment it is @ 6ft 1.4 inches high.

Enjoy!

post-16-1238986239_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238986287_thumb.jpg

post-16-1238986331_thumb.jpg

nice healthy looking plant!i cut the heads off and throw them where ever i want it to grow,then let it self seed every year after that...... the bracts are surprisingly prickly arent they?

t s t .

Yes They are Quite Prickly tst,

I have on numerous occasions gone in for the prune, Only to get a nasty surprise when I lose concentration & end up just blindly grabbing at the plant :lol:

This plant has also propagated itself from previous seed heads,(From the plant in the above photos) As have some of my Nicotiana's & CatNips!

On That note, I am after some more Catnip, Catmint, N.sylvestris & N.glauca If anyone could spare some seed for sale or trade?

Cheers

Edited by DreamingNagual

Yeah I've got 70, 85, 91, 98, and 99% Iso plus home made 50%.. I'm an iso collector :P

And no, not all iso is unpoisoned.. some has green dye. Its kind of easy to spot tho :wink:

Oh yeah I've seen that green stuff just wondering cause I don't want to use poisoned stuff they usually won't label what else they put in it though. You got quite a collection hope your extractions go well I can only find 70 and 91% so far pharmacies and common stores like wally world.