The Corroboree
Serpent

Purple Calea Z. Leaves

Hey, I got my calea plant in the mail to day :wub: So i got stright into transplanting. Now thats done, im wondering is it normal for calea to have purply leaves on the new growth? There is other new growth that is all green? Is there anything else to help my newly transplanted calea grow?

J

post-2632-1167819235_thumb.jpg

Edited by GiR

purple is common in witer, but unusual in summer. probably a nutrient imbalance, but nothing to worry about unless there are other symptoms.

Dont worry to much these are hardy suckers, they will reshoot from the rootstock..

Plenty of water and make sure it gets some shade..

Thanks guys, its been really cloudy and rainy also quite cold in brisbane since Xmas :blink: so it carnt really get much sun any way, ive been keeping the soil faily wet. Also some of the leaves have some holes in them, but it looked like sun burn / fertizler burn so i just pinched them off

Edited by GiR

Thanks guys, its been really cloudy and rainy also quite cold in brisbane since Xmas :blink: so it carnt really get much sun any way, ive been keeping the soil faily wet. Also some of the leaves have some holes in them, but it looked like sun burn / fertizler burn so i just pinched them off

becareful the leaves don't have holes because of bugs.

Had a closer look at some of the effected leaves, I think there maybe bugs. But I’m not sure, the leaves had brown dead spots on them, there is like a very little yellow, how I can say it. Blotches were it looks like a cocoon was there or something?

Should I get some insecticides or wait? If so what brand type should I get?

Also been monitoring the purplage, its slowly fading on one branch but still quite purple on another. Also noted one leave that was ½ dead and some other weird looking.

Sorry for the noob questions just paranoid about my little guy :blush:

Hey GiR,

From my exprience with Calea the leaves turn orange/purple/brown when it's cold or when the plant is receiving too much direct sun light ! Try and limit the direct sun light especially if your in brisbane.

Also, because the plant ahs been transported and transplanted there has obviously been a strain on the plant. I would wait for a week and see how it goes !! Stress less like othrs said a very hardy plant just keep the water up, they like wet feet.

hey guys..am try to grow my own lil.."guy"(calea) too...:P

first time didnt turned out that well.. -.-

so if it would be easy,i would like smt like..step by step until the transplant..

thank you in advance.

Hey GiR,

Check out post#9 from this thread, foliar feed info . This remedy is a great solution for a plant that's under the weather from nute def., bugs or both. It also helps with any transplant/shipping stress. I just hate to see plants and gardners unhappy, check it out and you'll be hooked on it as a general plant tonic. You'll still have to rectify any nute imbalance in the soil, if that's what it is, but this is like an I.V. of good stuff for the suffering :)

FM

As mentioned above it could be from the weather conditions, whether the oncoming winter or too much direct sun. If you transplanted into the ground there isn't much you can do about testing this, but they are really hardy anyway. If you transplanted into another pot maybe try moving the plant into a wind-shielded area of partial shade, even though it sounds like it probably isn't getting a lot of sun, gentler conditions usually help plants recover.

have noticed this sort of thing on a few plants esp b sanguinea,it often indicates the plant is about to flower.[maybe that it is amassing chems for flowering.]

red colourations are often anthocyanides......antioxidants in aminals and thought to be stress protectors.

t s t .

there are two different strains of calea in circulation, and only one of them gets purple leaves.

i think it would be a good idea to name those two different types.

when it comes to pot, we all prefere, "purple heads", to normal ones.

even with accacia phyllodes, some people think, trees which exhibit purple tipped phyllodes are more potent, what ever might be the case, they certainly are very attractive.

intuitively, i'd say, once your calea leaves turn purple, it's a good time to haverest them, as purple=strong...

but this is only the rule for happy and well nurished plants, plants which display lot's of healthy leaves, which than turn purple like as a seasonal factor. but if your plant is looking sad and get's purple leaves (can happen at any time of the year) just because she's not happy, the leaves will not be strong.

so i propose, let's call the purple variety, PURPLE DREAM, and the not turning purple variety, GREEN DREAM.

Edited by planthelper

there are two different strains of calea in circulation, and only one of them gets purple leaves.

even with accacia phyllodes, some people think, trees which exhibit purple tipped phyllodes are more potent, what ever might be the case, they certainly are very attractive.

intuitively, i'd say, once your calea leaves turn purple, it's a good time to haverest them, as purple=strong...

but this is only the rule for happy and well nurished plants, plants which display lot's of healthy leaves, which than turn purple like as a seasonal factor. but if your plant is looking sad and get's purple leaves (can happen at any time of the year) just because she's not happy, the leaves will not be strong.

so i propose, let's call the purple variety, PURPLE DREAM, and the not turning purple variety, GREEN DREAM.

Funny you should point that out PH because a lot peeps say there is an active Calea and a not active one right? We gotta name it then! or rename...and also the purple blue is a good sign a plant has the goodies i reckn :wink: not just calea...

Funny you should point that out PH because a lot peeps say there is an active Calea and a not active one right? We gotta name it then! or rename...and also the purple blue is a good sign a plant has the goodies i reckn :wink: not just calea...