The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
p.deadman

Fresh dung

If one had a supply of fresh cow dung, what would one need to encourage interesting mycology specimens to emerge that could be used for an in-depth look at oneself and surroundings? This is all in theory and nonsence of course! But an interesting question all the same.

Hi p.deadman,

dung gives your mushrooms a good boost if you put it in in your growing medium. I´d say in Addition you´d mostly need the spores or the mycelium of the desired mushrooms. As far as i know, most mushrooms don´t grow on pure dung so you´d also need to choose a good growing medium like wheat grain or something else. There are many techs around, just try a search.Good Luck. bye EG

Edited by Evil Genius

cubensis will grow on pure dung.... but would be better to mix it with vermiculite and / or peat to provide a bit of structure.

If you made a spore solution and watered it into moo poo you would probably have a pretty good chance of getting something. The best way would be to set up some growing in a grain jar and then dump that into the poo.

I have seen impressive yeilds on 50/50 straw/horse poo (pasteurise before use)

what about blue meanies? (psilocybe cyanescen?) they grow right out of the cow pats this time of year dont they?

I was going to go to my fav patch either today or tomorrow looking for psilocybe cyanescen and others as we have had a good drop of rain and there are mushrooms popping up all over my front and back yards. I use these in cooking if I can get them before the worms and slugs do.

I will take photos and prints if any are found and post them when I get back.

There is also alot of rotting timber so will have a look for some woodlovers, I think this is the right time of year for them???

I'll keep ya posted.

Deadman