The Corroboree
apothecary

Anyone like NIN?

NIN are great and trent has a very creative mind, but I have to agree was a little dissapointed with 'with teeth' not a bad album in any regards still like it just thought it would be a lot moodier. As for his dark lyrics thats what its all about expressing those feelings otherwise hard to verbalise without abstraction. Good show in Syd. though last year. Fav. album would be downward spiral mainly because of the freakish soundscapes he creates in songs like becoming. Pure genius.

As did I :)

Looking forward to this new album too.

Hazzah!

NIN in melbourne here i come!

so pleased i'm going I wasn't in the country the last time!

Yay for sydney tickets :lol:

Heard Jonny Cash's version of "Hurt" today on a country and western station (not my choice I swear!) Nice..

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

But how fucking good is Year Zero?

I liked With Teeth but Year Zero shows it up something admirably.

Anyone seeing them on the first night in Sydney?

i'm not into NIN but i got a kick out of all of those websites that came out leading up to year zero, and the whole fantasy behind it.

wikipedia - year zero for all of the links.

i used some samples from a couple of the sound files in a song i've written in cubase, my first song. they were the only sampling material that was handy and they fitted in nicely.

y'already a criminal, fucken ACT LIKE ONE.

I was THE nin freak at school, tended to drop off afterwards in favour of other but similar sounds, front 242 KMFDM frontline assembly stabbing westward throbbing gristle snog etc... but nails will always have a special place inside... they say the music you were into when you started fucking and getting high is the stuff imrprinted forever lol... means NIN, emperor, burzum and bauhaus are etched forever. Dogmachine were fucking brilliant , brissie act, never heard from em after the first album or two. Die Krupps is ok if you like your weirdo germans, better than ramstein at any rate, but probably not as good as some other things. Cold Meat Industry is a label with some absolutely psychotic dark ambient and dark electronic stuff, check em out. Used to have some album with a name like "traumatic amputation and head injury sustained in auto collision" or something, savage stuff. Those euros are some siiiick puppies haha.Leaether strip is ok in tthat tinkly winkly geek BDSM way, along with wumpscut and the more darkwavey things.Apoptygma Berzerk are fairly good but not so good for family barbecues. Handy for the dungeon owners out there though lol. Insurge (another brissie band ) have good messages, dodgy production, but always a good place in my heart (awwww).But then I was forced to listen to pop will eat itself from about 7 years of age when it wasn't iron maiden or mike oldfield so these things are bound to happen haha.

Tool rock. Perfect Circle always sounds like Tool wearing a stripy emo jumper (wheres wally goth, haha). Newest tool is fairly nice though.

Best song of all time...hmmmm.... have to be the mix of closer used in Seven, precursor methinks, in tied place with the jg thirwell remix of wish off fixed.

Favourite NIN albums....

for driving.... closer to god

bludging... downward spiral

tripping....fixed (fuckkk yeah)

theatrical suicide attempts - the fragile (hated it to be honest. very well done, but just didnt strike a chord here)

drunken sex - broken

PHM is a lil too britney for me haha. If you like nails, an ex member is now out as "tweaker", different yet similar... more level headed approach to the same thing? 2am wakeup call is the one I have, definitly a drummers album lol.

Nails "with teeth" sounded a bit sameish to me to be honest, the newie sounds a little better but still more of the same really.If I wanted spiral mixes, well, theres about 4 cd's of em getting around.

but they're all good :D

Some good bands you talk about there greendreams :drool2:

Haha. I love reading your posts greendreams. You're scant on the paragraphs and line breaks but it reads like you're sitting there talking to me and I must keep reading. :)

I'll definitely check out Cold Meat Industry.

Your observation of PHM being a bit Britney I think would be better aimed at Year Zero. Think "Hey Mickey you're so fine" at the end of The Beginning of the End :)

I love that dirty, sleazy, electro-pop sound though.

for driving... downward spiral

bludging... the fragile

tripping... and all that could have been. still. (leaving hope!!!)

stoned and indulgent... and all that could have been [DVD] (although I haven't seen the new one)

drunken sex... pretty hate machine or year zero or still or... fuck, any NIN.

Edited by MORG

It's my lack of consideration comin thru if anything, figure since I can muster up a thoughtfocus lasting more than 30 seconds other people must be able to, too :P paragraphs are overrated, too many fine thoughts cut into short because of the tyranny of high school english lessons (which, somehow, I passes with straight A's haha). I could write like a human, but I'm not one, so it'd be dishonest haha.

For me nails is a time and a place thing, these days I'm just as likely to be listening to afrocelts, or sisters of mercy, or burzum or dark tranquility. There's a great Red Snapper remix album I've been flogging for a bit, lovely stuff if sometiems verging on the aphex... not the good aphex, the bodgy bubblegum aphex. As far sleazy electro sounds go, I had Quite Unusual by Front 242 stuck in my head for about a week a while ago, nuts! Beats the Wiggles tho, occupational hazard that stuff! As it gets colder for some reason my nordic coding comes out :P and classics like Theatre of Tragedy, Emperor,MDB, typo O, lacuna coil and Opeth tend to rank a bit higher. (children of the 90s unite!)But then the right kind of night and rabbit in the moon or the pixies arent outta the question. One of my alltime favourite headfuck acts was Christian Death, til a particularly terrible evening involving vast amounts of dimenhydrinate and occult literature did my head in, and now it's a bit further down the list lol. Then there was the incident of the mushie patch within 5 minutes walk from my house combined with a nice rainy weekend and a stack of velvet acid christ and snog cd's... but that didn't leave anywhere near the scarring haha.

Uberarchtypical Gemini, I'd apologise for it but I'm not really sorry :P So what if I have infected mushroom and nirvana on the same playlist haha.Same bday as Marilyn Monroe of all people. No, I'm not doing the dress thing , I'd frighten the lotta ya.ok, maybe for money.

CMI is pretty good label for stuff that I think has been described as "for those that enjoy the evolving sound of someone elses nightmare", a lot of ice cold and distant northern european kinda stuff, ranging from ambient to dungeon i guess. Cheerful buncha fucks to have at the xmas party though, I'm sure.Check out Cleopatra too (might be spelt with a K? havent actually looked at the spine of my cd's in a while)... some of their gear verges on lame whiny goth crap (not good goth that is, just whiny lame crap goth haha). But some other stuff is gold. Oracle as well, though I don't know if they're around anymore, but I'm sure leftovers would turn up at 2nd hand shops etc. All pretty good stuff.

though fer the record (or the cd?) my alltime least favourite nails track is closer (tied perhaps with head like a hole, PWEI rocked harder than that haha) maybe it was the radio saturation, its use on anything and everything trying to get some cred.. or maybe I'm just not as impressed by rude words as I should be :P Fave off downward would have to be...hmm...tricky... but mr self destruct, the becoming and march of the pigs are all about equal. Hurt made me want to give him a slap (damn, I'm much lusted after, filthy rich and highly talented, boohoo).i hear it was written about being all hardcore inside but looking like a dentist on the outside:D but it makes the droning emo crud of today sound like... droning emo crud.least the down n out music of the good ol days (haha) had some kind of balls to it.See back then you didn't kill yourself on myspace, you did it at the local traintracks like a civilised trenchcoat kiddy."dear Damien Death the 3rd, you can have my GP's and collection of Bauhaus posters" etc.Who the hell wants to inherit a spocklike haircut or a stripy arsed jumper?

Having said all that,anything that loses nothing in its transfer from tape to tape to tape to tape, gaining only divine static, and sensual distortion, is all right in my poorly formatted books :P

turn it up!

GD

edity bit... nah nevermind

Edited by greendreams

I love the new CD. With Teeth was a massive disappointment for me. I read somewhere that it was the first album since Trent had kicked a long standing drug addiction - someone get this man some coke for god sake.

Anyone seeing them on the first night in Sydney?

I am going on Wednesday night - first concert in a couple of years, can't wait.

My friend is taking a 5 strip 'only take 2 of suckers in a night' blotters. NIN, goth chicks, Luna Park & a head full of acid - he thinks it will be a winning combo :drool2:

I love the new CD. With Teeth was a massive disappointment for me. I read somewhere that it was the first album since Trent had kicked a long standing drug addiction - someone get this man some coke for god sake.

I am going on Wednesday night - first concert in a couple of years, can't wait.

My friend is taking a 5 strip 'only take 2 of suckers in a night' blotters. NIN, goth chicks, Luna Park & a head full of acid - he thinks it will be a winning combo :drool2:

Ha! I'm going friday night with a head full of acid :drool2:

Can't wait for it!!!!

I used to love NIN a lot - still have a NIN t-shirt from years back. When I was 13 it was the Downward Spiral that got me starting to rebell against my catholic upbringing (that and I'd been exploring spiritualist and occultist stuff on the net since 11). I loved the awesome industrialish grinding, and the fact that so much of it was digital... Pretty Hate Machine before that was a good album but had some of the 80's tackiness to it, not to mention that most of the song titles were generally the only lyrics for their chorus' - though Head Like a Hole was brilliant.

The Fragile I enjoyed but I thought it was too drawn out, some beautiful moments but still one of the albums that I get bored listening start to finish... over the years my tastes changed but I still regarded myself as a fan.

Then when I read an interview with Reznor about what to expect in With Teeth I was horrified - fucking off the digital, focusing more on using instruments and something about having put the darker part of his life behind him. To me that wasn't what NIN was about, it was about the grinding, the industrial, the noise and the decay of society.

So like many bands out there I have to say - I like their old stuff better than their new stuff, and I say 'their' purely because I want to give credit to the musicians that Reznor never gave credit hehe...