The Corroboree
ratis

sus spore syringe

A friend of mine received a spore syringe a while ago. The syring itself contained fuzzy white blotches rather than the discrete specks one might expect in such a syringe. Being a total newbie to the world of mycology the friend went on to innoculate a couple jars (following the PF-tek closely). It's been three weeks since innoculation and no sign of any mycelial growth.

Was the syringe just a dud? It did sit around for a month (in the fridge) before use. In any event the whole thing looks like a bit of a flop.

On the plus side the jars still look free of any bacterial growth or other - seems like he had the sterile conditions thing down-pat. Thanks.

I'd PM the person that sent u the syringe.

It sounds like the syringe contained a liquid culture rather than spores.

Probably a liquid culture syringe containing mycelium as DOM says.

Three weeks is a while, but not unheard of. Particularly if the mycelium was old, it may take a while to warm up again, although on the other hand, it might be dead.

could be bacteria, or it could have just been that the spores germinated in the syringe water -happens sometimes.

Ahh well, back to the drawing board. I've got another syringe, same age + 3 weeks-ish, is there any way to distinguish btw an LC and a dud syringe. Don't want to hold a grudge if I noobed up a perfectly good gift.

***Never mind, dumb question. Eminently searchable. ***

Edited by ratis

liquid culture in syringes is actually better because they grow much faster and take hold better. The only problem is if they contain bacteria / cotton mould.

If this was the case the jar would be completely white and gross looking possible with a pale yellow dust (cotton mould) or have slimey gooey bits down the bottom (bacteria) easily within 3 weeks.

Wait another week or two and if it is no go I would say that whatever is in the syringe is most likely dead.