The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mu!

BIG f#%$kin tree

On this farm that I have lived on for the duration of my 18 years, there has always been a significant landmark which can be seen from any point on said farm, and which never fails to bring about a feeling of awe and great respect.

That landmark is this massive Eucalyptus camaldulensis, an estimated 500yo river redgum that has at some point in its long life toppled over, but being the go-getter it is, has continued to grow and its sight stuns many a viewer. This tree is fucking grouse yeah! :lol: It is also heritage listed, so no touchy touchy! Having said that though, it is really fun to climb.

For perspective, the 2 posts in the foreground are about 4 feet high..

med_gallery_2345_94_56058.jpg

med_gallery_2345_94_45451.jpg

med_gallery_2345_94_167496.jpg

This tree is home to birds, bees, rabbits, hares, lizards, and no doubt many other species of inhabitants.

At the end of the day, pictures are just pictures. To really get a grasp on the greatness of a tree like this, you have to experience it in the flesh. Any takers? :):lol:

I'll take two please. What a specimen! Love the middle shot. Such beauty found in nature. You should plant a small forest of natives around it so it can feel like the king of something. Trees have feelings too you know. I'm wondering if it is actually the mallee form of growth rather than a toppeld trunk. As far as I know quite a few Eucalypts are mallees.

Beautiful tree. No need for it to be protected by heritage listing- in the second photo the rainbow serpent has it's head looking straight at the camera.

Would love to see it in the bark. Thanks for sharing :)

Wow, what an amazing tree!! I'd come and climb it with you if I could...but looks like you're some distance from

Sydney.

Any local legends regarding the tree? Sounds silly...but does, or has it ever, had a name?

Edit: I'm reminded of the upside down tree that used to be next to the architecture buliding at UNSW. Pretty sure it

was a Moreton Bay Fig...anyhoo, one night in a huge storm this massive tree was completely uprooted and 180degrees up ended-

roots in the air, and branches on the ground.

It was left there for some time, as it was quite stable in its new position (prolly more to do with expence of having it removed).

Anyhoo, after a while the leaves died and everyone assumed it was dead....until it stared sprouting leaves from the its roots!

After a year or so it was quite lush and green, and although it was eventually removed, grew there for a few years.

The uni botanists etc were fascinated by the tree...if my memory serves me correctly, it was the first recorded instance of this sp of Ficus, or any

very large tree, completely 'polarising'...no idea of botanical terminology.

Unfortunately cannot locate any photos.

Edited by wandjina

It's almost certainly a toppled trunk.

I don't know about 500 years but its definitely a centenerarian and probably a bit more than that even.

You'd be surprised how big these get very quickly. I know from my school years that eucalypts planted just 40-50 years ago are pretty huge when I last saw them.

I'm glad so many of you like what you see :) Its a pretty remarkable tree.

I'll get a 'panoramic' shot in soon to show you all the surrounding area (there are a couple of eucalyptus friends around the biggun).

I love it too, it is truly amazing. I agree, it needs more friends, the old fella looks lonely and out of place all on it's own there.

Kinda like something you would see in an art gallery, like ken duncan. You should consider making your 'panoramic' photo a wall print. It will be great to tell the future generations about.

Edited by chief23

After a year or so it was quite lush and green, and although it was eventually removed, grew there for a few years.

The uni botanists etc were fascinated by the tree...if my memory serves me correctly, it was the first recorded instance of this sp of Ficus, or any

very large tree, completely 'polarising'...no idea of botanical terminology.

Unfortunately cannot locate any photos.

WTF !!!! they removed it ???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :BANGHEAD2:

wau this is beautyfull, no wonder pagans worshiped some trees!!! :worship:

this reminds me of some red cedar trees which feel over with that last cyclon up the north end, they are left in the forrest as is, let's hope some of them reshoot. one very big one was estimaded to contain more than a million dollars worth of timber, expensive mulch, hey, hahaha.

Here's some more shots..

I thought this shot of the tree's growth medium would be significant, emphasizing the ruggedness of these trees (and other inhabitants of this dry, seemingly lifeless soil, namely mushrooms!)..

med_gallery_2345_93_11521.jpg

Here are its friends..

med_gallery_2345_94_42529.jpg

Trees shouldnt grow that way!

gallery_2345_94_23758.jpg

The real deal when it comes to a 'home among the gumtrees'..

med_gallery_2345_94_72650.jpg

med_gallery_2345_94_44993.jpg

A tangle of branches..

med_gallery_2345_94_132380.jpg

med_gallery_2345_94_106710.jpg

Thats all for now.. :)

what an awsome climbing tree, so many branches, I but you have some great childhood memories of climbing that monster..

I bet it jst comes to life when tripping, smoking changa at sunset whilst sitting in its branches would surely make it dance..

Childhood memory #1: jumping off a high branch, my body 'closing in' from such a high fall, and subsequently smashing my chin into my knees :huh::wacko::o

Fun times

Childhood memory #1: jumping off a high branch, my body 'closing in' from such a high fall, and subsequently smashing my chin into my knees :huh::wacko::o

Fun times

lol nearly my first memory

Jumping out of a lemon try with a broom stick in my mouth, thinking i would swing on it lol All i remember was pain after that, pain of not being able to eat pizza while everyone else did

sorry just saw this post and i think it needs to be bumped. look at this tree!

Good on ya Uncle Staunch. I missed this last time.

500 years of tree memories. How precious. :wub:

What a Goliath! Those close up's on the tangled branches look like something out of a Tim Burton film.

Thanks for sharing!

Woah man, that is a big fucking tree isn't it?

Agreed on it being a perfect climbing tree lol.

Looks gnarly with the twisted braches.

Peace

That is one amazing tree indeed. A true picture of resilience, love it!

good photography matey! one special tree.

1. That's an awesome tree! I was a little monkey-child when younger and would climb damn near anything. I'd have spent all day in that tree heheh

2. I keep seeing the title of this thread as "big foreskin tree" :blink:

fwoar. that thing is amazing! I love how the branches from after it fell have merged into the branches from BEFORE it fell...if that makes sense. I'd put a hammock under it and hammock it up!

Wonder if anyone saw/heard it fall, all the way back then.

wow. no words can describe, nature never ceases to amaze me