The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

I want your Jalapenos!

I want some of these chilli's seed, i have some from the supermarket but am not sure if they would be a hybrid or true breeding??

i have some poppy seed to trade or will cover postage.

what other chili's does everyone have and want to trade?

i have some birdseye and some masquerade and just a tiny amount of thais which i may still be able to find.

A few years back I grew some seeds which I had taken out of Woolies' capsicums attempting to grow those.

I ended up with those lovely bushes of multi-coloured chillies of medium size, short and fat. And they were VERY hot as well.

I'm gonna try that again!

I think most of Woolies' vegies are probably hybrids!

Guest reville

Most of the chillies self pollinate with a small degree of outcrossing depending on insect pollination.

The seed may have been hybrid but it doesnt matter.The seed will germinate anyway and give slight variation.

The two option are to source seed from backyard seedsavers or to buy heirloom seed

or

Breed your own.You just plant whatever and just keep on growing from that strain.

Hybrids will stabilise over a couple of generations as these plants self pollinate (thereby selfing)

Only thing to look out for is that your capsicum strains and chilli strains arent too close as chilli pollen is said to be more fertile and will beat capsicum pollen to the ova if crosspollinated. Then youll end up with a paprika type semi sweet hot type strain.

Hybrid seed is quite expensive and here in Australia you are more likely to still find named varieties being used especially when the product is found at small grocers of the ethnic flavour. They often source their chilli/tomato/choko/bean/pumpkin etc stock from the old guy down the road, especially where the buyers prefer certain provincial strains. Paprikas, chillies Pumpkins and Berlotti beans being the most obvious.If in doubt just ask.

I,ve got jalepeno seeds but not very many

,maybe I can trade half a dozen.I,ve also got

piquin(purple mexican,very hot,7/10)seeds,a red bell pepper and maybe a few habaneros,which is extremely hot.

rennaisance herbs sell a few different chillis,available at most nurseries around here.