The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
prier

metafiction for philosphy

I've recently read Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance and thoroughly enjoyed it, I've been recommended a book called Sophie's World, but I am interested in reading more, does anyone have any other good suggestions for books similar?

i don't know what those books are, but a good philosophy book worth reading would be the short story 'the little prince' its awesome and inspiring

Yeah should have mentioned, I'm looking for more of an introduction to philosophy than anything.

i don't know what those books are, but a good philosophy book worth reading would be the short story 'the little prince' its awesome and inspiring

do you mean the book by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and Richard Howard?

Edited by prier

I believe that might be the book, The boy who's treasure is buried under a tree and he becomes the wind to escape being killed in the desert. Yes that one

hey well if you want an introduction to philosophy right into the real good stuff i reckomend ALAN WATTS hes my favourite philosopher. I like many though have read many philosophers ideas and view in my own questioning that have reinterated and put into words that in which i felt but did not know how to express. You stated a book on zen well Alan Watts is practically a zen master in hes talks he incorporates zen and many other types of buddhist and hindu ways. Anyway if you want type in google ' alan watts out of your mind torrent' or ' alan watts zen clues torrent' youll get some great lectures conversations on there about reality and the nature of mind, universe well philosophy about the good stuff. audio format is always very encouraging when introducing oneself to philosophy. Oh yeah you will need a bit torrent to download them if you dont have type in google' download bit torrent' and go from there. Anymore questions pm me

Anyway just thought i would share hope it helped take care mate

I believe that might be the book, The boy who's treasure is buried under a tree and he becomes the wind to escape being killed in the desert. Yes that one

One of my all-time favourite books!!! - 'The alchemist' by Paulo Coelho. Love love LOVE it :)

Yeah, Sophies world is a good intro to philosophy IMO...but I only got 1/2 way through, and that was more than 10 yrs ago.

But I remember it gave an excellent and digestible overview of classical philosophy (if thats the correct term).

Yeah, Sophies world is a good intro to philosophy IMO...but I only got 1/2 way through, and that was more than 10 yrs ago.

But I remember it gave an excellent and digestible overview of classical philosophy (if thats the correct term).

A little off topic but anyone that enjoyed "Sophies World" (and even some that didn't) will love "The Solitaire Mystery" by the same author, Jostein Gaarder.

It's a book of innocent simplicity (a-la "The Little Prince") and captivating mysteries and plot-twists like "Sophies World" but doesn't have the handicap of trying to educate the reader on a serious subject matter that I thought "Sophie's World" had.

One of my all-time favs.

Labyrinths by Borges.

A collection of superb short stories dealing with paradoxes like infinity and time. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

along the same lines as borges: italo calvino's "invisible cities" is wine for the spirit

or for more directly philosophical fiction, you might check out hermann hesse, "siddhartha" can be read in one sitting, or "the glass bead game" in many more..

Edited by komodo