The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SaBReT00tH

Taking Cuttings Of Narrow Leaf Khat

Just wondering how people have success with taking cuttings of Narrow leaf khat? I read there's only a 4% success rate in doing so and remember something about Planthelper I believe having a successful method? Is it mostly shade, cutting leaves 50%, rooting hormony on bottom of stem, twice weekly watering? Also, do the cuttings need humidity?

Just wondering how people have success with taking cuttings of Narrow leaf khat? I read there's only a 4% success rate in doing so and remember something about Planthelper I believe having a successful method? Is it mostly shade, cutting leaves 50%, rooting hormony on bottom of stem, twice weekly watering? Also, do the cuttings need humidity?

I am wondering if you can try stem layerage on this species. I don't mean air layerage where they put spaghnum around the stem and then wrap plastic around it.

What I mean is to lay a branch of the plant out on to another pot filled with soil and cover the stem with soil.

I am pretty sure this might do the trick because many plants that are planted too deep or even stems just under the soil for many plants form roots on them. I have seen Salvia divinorum produce roots on the plants near the bottom of the soil. Catha if planted too deep will produce roots on parts of the stem where it normally wouldnt.

note: Auxin is a chemical found in rooting hormones and also is naturally found in plants, but naturally it accumulates in darkness, which is why you need to bury the stem of cuttings in soil.

All i can say is try stem layerage. If you don't know what I mean, look it up.

I think cuttings take pretty well and it sounds you have the right idea.

You would need a reasonably large specimen for layering and would be hard to attempt in pots

buggered if i can get any to take!!!

whats ur procedure ph??

i wrotte about this a couple of times already, so forgive me if i keep it very brief this time.

as a general rule plants and even cacti show a decline in strike rate the older the cutting material get's.

catha edulis showes two differnet types of leaf formation, spiral alternating for young growth and binniate for mature growth. binniate is no good for cuttings, but with the broad leaved ones still works pretty well. however the narrowleaved strikes pretty much only if you use cuttings which have leaves in the spiral alternating fashion. now comes the catch the narrowleaved produces very fast a lot of useless branches, and in short a mature plant doesn't provide you with any the material you need.

so you have to rejuvinate the plant, prune it hard, and use the regrowth.

another methode of probagation is my suckers, look for tiny shoots at groundlevel and just pull them out. some will break, some will pull up fine with some roots already attached. chances are that by pulling out the suckers, more suckers will be produced.

all my narrowleaved plants come from one single cutting i took a long time ago at the rbgs, it was right away clear to me that a cutting of this plant has to have those qualities as described above, hmm took me one min to work that one out, hmm, but than that's easy if you can talk to plants, hahahaha.

Edited by planthelper