The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tuamai

Identifying different species of Mitragyna.

Question

Could anyone out there provide a few tips in Identifying one species of Mitragyna from another?

What are the main differences in appearance between Mitragyna Speciosa, Mitragyna Parvifolia

and Mitragyna Javanica? I've been searching for pictures of different Mitragyna, but haven't had

any luck.

25 answers to this question

Took a while, but I have a few pictures of what I think are two separate species of Mitragyna. When I uploaded them, should have labled them separately. Will know next time. Anyhoo, the plants in the small pots are Rifat clones and have leaves that are no larger than 7" long and average about 4"-5" in length (sorry, need metric conversion, but didn't think about that till I started typing this). I have a year old Rifat tree about 8' tall and have a picture of a bottom branch where you can clearly see the leaves. The other plant I raised from seed and has huge leaves 9 1/2" in length. I thought it was a red veined Thai and just maybe, but the leaves are so huge compared to the Rifat clone. Hopefully there's a Mitragyna expert out there that can make the ID.

post-1765-1182999160_thumb.jpg

Mtragyna grown from seed

post-1765-1182999181_thumb.jpg

Rifat clone

post-1765-1182999206_thumb.jpg

Rifat clone

post-1765-1182999240_thumb.jpg

Mitragyna grown from seed

post-1765-1182999263_thumb.jpg

Mitrgyna grown from seed

post-1765-1182999286_thumb.jpg

Rifat clone

Edited by tuamai

small pots? big pots? can't work out what you are referrign to. Why don't you edit the post with captiosn for each pic or group of pics?

Sorry about that Torsten. First time trying to post pictures. The leaf picture on the left side is the huge red veined grown from seed and the right leaf picture is a Rifat clone. Will try to edit better, but gotta head out to work right now. Later.

small pots? big pots? can't work out what you are referrign to. Why don't you edit the post with captiosn for each pic or group of pics?

Claude Rifat told me about 2 other species that are used for commercial kratom production in Thailand. he was convinced one of them was just a speciosa hybrid with an unknown and that this resulted in many dud individuals which is why that particular one was always propagated from cuttings. The other species is documented, but I need to look it up.

It could well be that your seed grown plants are from one of these other species/hybrids. They certainly look quite different.

Thinking it maybe Mitragyna Parvifolia or Mitragyna Javanica. Going to Thailand again in December and will try to make it down south. Usually I go to Isaan or the Northeast where kratom does not grow. Winter weather gets a bit frigid for a few weeks in December and January up there, but I would think kratom would live through it alright, especially since the usual temps are 90+ farenheit. The ganga grows very well and nobody cares. A few Thais I know up there have tried kratom, but they all got it in Bangkok, about a 8 to 12 hour train ride.

parvifolia is furry, so easy to tell.

parvifolia is furry, so easy to tell.

Mine isn't furry, so scratch off that species. Maybe javanica? Have you ever heard of

kratom having such huge leaves?

older kratom plants can produce huge leaves. this looks more like a different species.

Maybe I should chomp on a few of those enormous leaves and see if there is any reaction.

Think's it's too young, but just maybe,,,,,,a super kratom plant, even better than the kratom man!! Naa.

Hi tuamai, i wouldnt stress it if its not necessary. I would recommend you to root some cuttings in order to keep it in cultivation. There are rooting techs that work with Kratom and it´s relatives! These large leaves look interesting! bye Eg

Hello EG,

Planning on doing that, but need to let it branch more. I had a few dozen young uns that sprouted from the seeds. Planted seven in the ground around last November, but it was a long drive from where I live and they didn't make it. Too dry I think The rest went dormant through the winter. Repotted this one in April. Really wish I had some land!!

Hi Tuamai,

and this plant grew from Thai seed, yeah? Where did you get it from? bye Eg

Got the seeds from a place called Jenny Mac's located in California. She's really nice and really talkative. She told me that she got them from Thailand or more likely she got them from somebody else that got them from Thailand. www.jennymacs.com.

Hi Tuamai,

thanks for letting me know. It doesnt look like the Thai variants that i know. The Thai Kratom has very red veins but i also saw Thais with green veins. I would use the plastic bag tech to root new branches. Please keep us informed about this clone! bye Eg

The veins are quite red underneath. Can't see it so well from my pictures. Maybe I'll post some more pictures. Rainy today. Maybe tomorrow. Haven't tried the plastic bag, but read about making a few shallow razor slices in a stem, making a pocket with tape, packing the pocket with potting soil and then injecting the soil with rooting hormone. A plastic bag sounds easier. I've had pretty good luck just taking cuttings, dipping them in rooting hormone , placing them in a small pot of potting soil and then placing them in an aquarium with a glass cover. Think I'll try using a plastic bag. Thanks EG.

Hi Puse,

No my seedlings didn't have long leaves like yours'. Where did you get your seeds from?

Hi Puse, what is this? It doesnt looks like a Mitragyna! Not at all! Are your sure that it´s not a weed? bye Eg

Hi Puse, i know magicgardenseeds. Actually they are reliable and the seeds also look like Kratom seeds. Thanks for the forum link! Maybe i´ll open an account there! The big plant is definately a Kratom Plant! Somehow the seedlings look weird but it´s possible that they are Kratom Plants too! But they have to be another variety! Please post some more pics of the seedlings in the future! i always like seeing Kratom Plants! bye Eg

I have seen kratom leaves as big as footballs.

I know someone who had a kratom plant under a HPS light 24hrs a day, fed it some very good nutrient. I cloned the plant myself in rockwool in the old day's when still legal, and he planted it in coco mix so I know 100% that it was a real kratom plant.

The leaves were super potent, but the plant died, due to a bug infestation.

If you are in a warm climate, then it is very possible to have leaves as large as you have in those photos.

Munch one and see, if legal to do so.

Fresh K tastes bitter.

Edited by planthelper

here is a video i found on cloning kratom seems like everyone has used this video its all over the place.

i was wondering i know this a old post but did you ever find out if that was kratom ? i would love a cutting of re vein kratom.

please pm me if you have it

seen as this thread is dug up, and saves making a new one, what do you guys think of this? viens are pretty intense red.

krat.jpg

perhaps too young to tell...??? i dunno my kratom at all.

beautyfull, and no doubt the red veined variety, i'm envious, she looks so yummy!

is that a caapi in the pot?

anyway, the plant is hungry for fert.

cool, thanks bro.

ya there are caapi, kratom and yopo growing on that deck, all due to be put in the ground for a while.