The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thelema

Frankincense Seed

Guest Thelema

Help! Desperately requiring this for Magickal workings!

Dont email me, just reply so Ill know to email you.

Can only get resin, sorry

I've been searching for those for a few years with no success (as have MANY MANY other people) If you find them, please tell us smile.gif

I'll probably be going to India around 2015 (yes 2015), maby I'll stop by Ethiopia on the way and buy some off a poor farmer.

Torsten, if you could track these down you'd probably become a very rich man!

I can get them. They are only viable for a week or two, so importing them isn't much use unless carrying them from India straight to Australia on a plane. Not sure if they are aqis permitted.

(Boswellia sacra/ carteri/ thurifera)Frankincense, the Arabian kind, plants only (seed has a very very low germination rate) are avalible in the US, if enough people were interested maybe we could import some.

(Boswellia serrata) Indian Frankincense is said to be inferior in scent and also has a very low germination rate.

Guest Thelema

yeah id be interested in importing some legally, the species from the Yemen area. Not sure which of the arabian strains that one is. how much money will we need to do this project?

Guest reville

I once looked into his one.

I think it grows out of sandstone cliffs along the somalian coast.

supposing you could get it what do you propse we do with it?

I thought i would be good in WA between Geraldton and Kalbarri ( if it takes winter rain) or Rockhampton in QLD for summer rain.

Either way itd probably need excellent drainage.

Its definitely an arid subtropical species. I doubt it would take frost either as it grows on the coast.

Myrrh is another plant of interest and might be alot easier to find and grow.

Guest Thelema

myrrh? such sacrelige, reville!

no, im afraid we're going to have to get a desert crop of somalian frankincense going.

maybe we could grow it on crown/unclaimed desert land.

[This message has been edited by Thelema (edited 27 September 2002).]

I've never imported plants so this is a guesstamate.

Frankincense plants from the US cost: US$30-$35 each (AU$55-$65) probably need aleast 4-6 plants as aparently quarintine does not have a green thumb.

Phyto certificate: US$15-25 each (AU$27-46)Don't know how many of these are needed.

Postage: AU$100-150? depends on the weight and number of plants.

Quarintine: thought it was something AU$100 for the first plant of a shippment and AU$10 per plant after that. Might also have to pay for repotting and stuff.

Anyone else know any more about importing plants?

Frankincense likes the heat and as much sunlight as it can get, medium water, it will drop it's leaves and go dormant in drought conditions and sprout again after rain, will tolerate some frost especially larger plants.

Myrrh is collected from Commiphora molmol and C. myrrha. I haven't found any of these for sale. Commiphora gileadensis plants, the other of the biblical 3, Frankincense, Myrrh and Balm of Gilead, is sometimes for sale in the US.

Cheers, Amunda

I would love to know how you get a plant into OZ for $100 AQIS fees?????

The pricks just charged me $135 just to have a look at a couple of kilos of seed (and then throw half of it out). They also wanted to charge me $160 or something like that for fumigation, as they don't do it themselves anymore and it is now done by Flick.

As for plants, it costs $65 for the WRA alone. Once the plant is approved you will need an import permit, which is $180. The you will need to book a space in a post entry quanrantine facility. These run from between $20 per week to $500 per week depending on the quality. The plant will then be sent to nursery stock where it is inspected ( charge of between $50 and a few hundred). From here it goes to the post entry facility where it usually has to stay 6 months. In general you can assume about $3000 minimum per individual plant. A second plant of the same species imported at the same time will probably only add a further minimum of $2500.

Anyone still interested in importing plants???

The main cost is the post entry facility. This is also where most plants get killed as they are only skilled to look after well known ornamentals. One of the aims at Wandjina is to build out own post entry facility to eliminate these costs.

Guest reville

and is it any wonder that these laws get flouted.

grrr. prohibition by cost - stifling new industries and threatening the environment by encouraging illegal importation.

those sorts of fees not only encourage, they actually demand to be flouted and bypassed as a matter of principle.