The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAmine.

Sida Rhombifolia?

Question

Hi all,

I have these growing wild in my garden, are they Sida?

If so, how far reaching would the roots be so I know when I dig them up?

thanks in advance.

post-824-1163296552_thumb.jpgpost-824-1163296529_thumb.jpg

post-824-1163296529_thumb.jpg

post-824-1163296552_thumb.jpg

post-824-1163296529_thumb.jpg

post-824-1163296552_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

No seeds yet.. not to long tho I dont think

Im going to let it self seed all over the shop but the care taker will probably rip them up.

There is tons of this stuff over the coast at the moment but the majority of it is by the hyways and quarries so Im not to keen on harvesting them.,

Should be heaps around the camp site for the Jan trip.,., bring some shopping bags.. LOL

You could try the leaves too man. A friend of mine says that they are pretty active. Others think not tho. I have no idea unfortunately of the amount that he used. Ive heard of people smoking sida leaves also, so maybe this is worth trying!

Sorry if i'm hijacking but i didn't think we needed another thread, i've got a patch of a similiar looking weed/plant slowly growing its way over the front yard. Heres a pic

idhu0.jpg

I'm thinking it is a sida with the jagged leaves

EDIT: Shit sorry about the pic size

Edited by Scuboh

Def sida sp

This one perhaps looks a lil closer to S.cordifolia.. maybe

Edit: on second thought i think thats prob rhombifolia too.

Edited by transDiMenTional

I can confirm there is plenty of Sida growing at the campsite.

Heya, thought there's no need to start a new thread.

post-747-1168510721_thumb.jpg

post-747-1168510852_thumb.jpg

These are growing in my hothouse atm. Pretty sure they're a sida species just not sure if they're a useful one. They've got this very fine fuzz that covers both sides of the leaves which seems to make water bead on them. I read that sida cordifolia has 'downy' leaves though I'm not exactly sure this is down :scratchhead: Just seems the leaves aren't exactly heartshaped as I've read cordifolia has. Anyone know if they're useful?

hmm, dont think thats a sida Qt.... there are some similarities but it doesn't look right. no idea what else it could be tho.

evenin all... thing in hothouse looks more like that giant mugwort or whatever it is, one of those felty-leaved texan kinda things? the name will come to me at about 2am in a dream haha... more mutant catnip than sida looking... re: sida r v sida c, it seems that only sida r is into following people around australia to any great extent, probably all from the same batch of brazilian cattle or something haha... leaves, a decent handful to enough near boiling water for two cups, set to infuse and cool if you want, strain and have one cup in the am, one cup at lunch, takes care of the monday blues for me. Potency might vary, I know it seems to be stronger the harder it's grown. Check the other sida threat in ethno section for more info, it's a useful lil plant to have around. Seeds perk me up, a bit more talkative but no real longevity to it for me...roots, might be a matter of getting em well powdered but chunky chop does bugger all for me that I can really put my finger on... smoking "green" dried seedpods and unopened flowers mixed seems a bit more definite than seeds alone, but the tea is my favourite, once the leaves age a lil it actually taste pretty good, decent with honey and lime too... Ariba! Make it a HEFTY handful for a tough day out, and a BIG LUMPY handful for a much more discernible effect (all this is just from my experience, it ain't gospel). Even smallish amounts of tea make work a lot more bearable, more upbeat, driving becomes fun again despite the tortoises I share the road with, bla bla... very focused and productive pick me up. taken with caffeine or theobromine has a fairly predictable "edgy" tone ... haven't boosted with ginseng yet that might be one of this weekends lil projects. Grind seed before smoking or it tends to leap about on me, and if it throws up a nice thick plume of sweeet oily smoke lung it back before it gets away. Smoking foliage did bugger all for me but I didn't try too much due to vaguely skullcap like taste... not my cup of tea.

Root depth for plants, even quite tall plants around here have shortarsed roots but then any topsoil here is a rare thing, mainly its deco and leaf mould over shale haha, but even those in silty or sandier areas just don't seem to get too big... they thicken with age but having dropped maybe 4 or 5 inches tops they stay put, guess that'd vary with care or soil type, or maybe not. You can keep cutting foliage and feeding up again, til the roots are bigger then hoe in perhaps. The best root's I've found so far have been under the "john deere bonsai" ones in the sida pics I put up elsewhere on here, but theyve been cut back monthly for at least three years. Under those ones of yours I guess thered be a root system that hairs aside might fit into the palm of my hand, chop down to a couple teaspoons...but thats for around here, it might have some big meaty taproot under it who knows...you can try tunneling down n having a peek but I think you'd be disappointed. Where there is one sida there are a thousand around the corner, but they have widely varying form, very adaptable... but half an hour of keeping an eye out here will ALWAYS find plants, no time at all to stuff a big bag with them or a decent whack of seed, I wound up with about a sandwich bag fulla root for maybe 10 minutes pulling em up. Easy to strip leaf from stem too on the lankier specimens.

I'm quite taken with the stuff, those hardworking mexicans know a thing or too about making life easier don't they?

happy gardening,

GD

ps thats gonna piss me off til I can remember what that plant is called...giant catnip would be too simple haha but it might be a Somethingorother nepetifolia.....bangs head on desk...either way I've noticed it before and munched a bit, didn't taste of much other than fuzz and plant matter, none of that interesting salvia spp bitterness from memory but an itchy tongue for a while.

Edited by greendreams

Pretty sure they're a sida species just not sure if they're a useful one.

Definately not a Sida sp.

I know it but can't remember the name, will look it up if I can find it. It's a weed. I know that much.

Will get back to you about this one.

Edited by tonic

Reminds me a lot of an Ambrosia sp.

Will still have to get back to you about this one :rolleyes:

I'll get my camera going in the near future, I have several Sida's, one that I suspect to be the Acuta (Qld Hemp), Rhombifolia (Fucking everywhere), Sida Smithii (the short, narrow blunt leafed variant) and a supspected Cordifolia. I'll post the pictures, and I would appreciate feedback.

The s.rhomibfolia around here have really deep root systems, I often cut up my hands ripping them out of the ground when Im weeding out the garden, they can be SUPER tough get get out.

Not all that thick and really deep and spread out.