The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest electro

Mexican Poppy

Guest electro

Is it way too late to plant agremone mexicana ?

Will i just miss the flowering, or will the plant not grow ?

If it wont grow, will the seeds lay dormant until next year, or will they be destroyed by rot & such ?

Any advice appreciated

Guest phyllode

I don,t know if it to late or not,but I got some of these seeds from a local supplier and i think they are not the right ones.....I was wondering if some could I.D the poppy I got

They have cute little yellow flowers with 4 petal on a branched raceme, they are 50cm tall and the capsule are a bit like californian but are more round at the base of the pod . i know it may be hard without a picture and I will talk to shop when i go next

sorry to change the topic to me

hey electro you live in sydney i take it,if you want to get some good mexican poppy seeds go to Seven Hills, along the railway track and you will find heaps of them growing.if you want to know exactly where email me.

Guest electro

Really ? i've never seen them... i have however seen all the morning glory along there (from toongabbie all the way through to redfern... plenty at rookwood).

I had a look this afternoon, couldnt find any ... went almost the whole way to pendle hill, will try the other direction in the next few days. heh all i found was a bunch of thistles, some ducks and the worlds biggest supply of aniseed

thanks smile.gif

Also, is it just me, or is the m2 lined with sydney golden wattle....

I could be very wrong as identification is rather hard at 100km/ph, but the tree shape and foilage looks very similar to photos on the sab site.

[This message has been edited by electro (edited 28 October 2002).]

[This message has been edited by electro (edited 28 October 2002).]

Funny the link with Mexican Poppies and the rail way lines of this country. I also went looking on the weekend and found them growing on the tracks around Newcastle.(growing upon the transport routes of the country, a great evolution stratedgy)!

phyllode,that sounds a bit like celandine ,except its too tall.mexican poppies and the pods are very prickly,my flowers are very pale yellow with varying nunbers of petals.

electro,if you plant now your seeds should come up but will most likely bolt to seed quickly[then die?].

if anyone wants a smilar plant to plant now,email me re celandine plants.

t s t .

Bugger! I've currently got Argemona seeds germinating on cotton wool, on the basis that the SAB products listing describes them as perennials. What's the deal?

Guest reville

Seed sent to thye AFSR was apparently from a 3 year old bush that was finally removed. I think they must be perrennial in the right climate - ill tell u by summer

Originally posted by reville:

Seed sent to thye AFSR was apparently from a 3 year old bush that was finally removed

Was that the Argemone platyceras seed I sent you. I am still chopping the plant out so this species is pretty hardy and will regrow from the roots no matter how vicious you are with it.

sorry electro you seem to know the area pretty well.anyway go to Transfeild side of seven hills and you will find them before the bend(near the little group of shops).im sure you cant miss them.anyway what area are you from.im from pendle hill.

Guest reville

yes garret im refferring to your seed.

Thanks BTW smile.gif

so did you notice any differences between the two? now im not sure what i have in my yard frown.gif

its all the same - ive never had luck so i just scatterred a heap of seed and then they decided to come up- now i have heaps more seed, a lucky bout of frustration smile.gif

Guest electro

Thanks smile.gif

You r right near the new cacti supplier that Torsten posted about (they seem quite friendly & professional) ... they're at toongabbie.

I'm @ Bella Vista (next to norwest business prk)

Originally posted by reville:

so did you notice any differences between the two? now im not sure what i have in my yard   frown.gif

I haven't managed to get mexicana to germinate, although I probably haven't tried too hard. The only difference I know of is the flower colour ( platyceras are white )

Did a bit of sampling in the first year I grew it but haven't tried it since so I can't say what the effects are compared to mexicana.

electro go to the side of Transfeild and go past the Toony Bowling Club as you go around the first bend look carefully on your left and no further than the group of shops.JACKPOT