The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Lycium barbarum flavor

This year I started five wild-form L. barbarum bushes and was surprised that three bore fruit in the first year.

The flavor is kind of funky tho- they are reported to have a sweet mild licorice type flavor but mine were only mildly sweet with a very crude/course sort of tartness and a unpleasant aftertaste :wacko: As I said this was wild-form and not a commercial cultivar but I didnt expect the difference in flavor quality to be extreme.

The berries looked ripe and seperated easily from their calyx.

Is this at all normal? Is it indicative of unripe berries?

...and has anyone seen supporting evidence to the claims that unripe berries are toxic?

(In spring I'll be starting some of SABs L. chinense, if they are substantially better I might ditch the barbarums all together)

Auxin its really great to hear that your growing this wonderful plant, i was wondering if you could post some pictures of it for us if you have time?

um, sure- theyre getting ready for winter tho so no flowers.

They were planted as seedlings around the beginning of may and the fense there is ~1 meter tall.

I thought about throwing a few seed into AFSR but first I want to find out if I have a bad strain or something.

post-146-1161734823_thumb.jpg

post-146-1161734834_thumb.jpg

post-146-1161734848_thumb.jpg

000_0018.JPG

000_0019.JPG

000_0021.JPG

000_0018.JPG

000_0019.JPG

000_0021.JPG

:lol: forgot that I took a flower pic two months ago

post-146-1161735496_thumb.jpg

100_1306.JPG

100_1306.JPG

Are you drying the berries before you eat them ? ive not heard of them being used without being dried first

Beautiful pictures i wasnt aware the flowers were such a pretty colour, thanks very much Auxin i shall have to try growing some of this strain myself now

Are you drying the berries before you eat them ? ive not heard of them being used without being dried first

:blink::unsure::o No, no I have not. I guess that could make a big difference :lol:

(Note: I've never eaten any Lycium berries before these)

So far I've just been eating them fresh a few at a time as I extract seed to clean and save, I'll have to dry some now.

diff brands /shipments of lycium berries look and taste different IME

there seems some variation

some are sweet, some 'funky' aftertaste

wonderfull plant to grow!

i actually have 1k"g of lycium barbarum extract (40% polysacharides). it's the best thing happend to me...