The Corroboree
limpet

Huichol artwork for sale

Hi all!

I am currently residing in Real De Catorce Mexico and during my stay i have been fortunate enough to have made friends with a Huichol family which has been and continues to be a beautiful experience.

Obviously their artwork is something they are well known for and they work tirelessly on these pieces with some taking months to finish. If anyone remembers the beautiful yarn print posted some months ago they will be taken back to this vibrant and brilliantly fine artistic talent influenced by their connection with the earth and peyote use which remains an integral part of their existence.

We have been so inspired by their amazing culture and sympathetic to their plight while here that we have arranged to take care of sales of their artwork to people at home in Australia giving us access to all that they produce here in Real De Catorce.

The yarn prints, various beadwork which is simply astounding, figurines, etc are all available via us and we are essentially putting some feelers out there to catch some interest.

Online these pieces are selling for high numbers and someone is profitting and i dont think its the artisans who travel kilometres to Real and work tirelessly on these pieces each day.. Sure you may find pieces online, ebay, etc... but do you know that they are made by genuine Huichol artisans? We are personal acquaintances with this lovely family and can guarantee authenticity, we actually are around often while they are creating the pieces.

The prices are reasonable to say the least and a portion of the dollars on top of the price paid will be going to the artisans personally which will be much appreciated and allow them to continue their art.

We are residents here in Real now so we feel we are contributing in some way to these people who are often outcast due to their beliefs by the catholic community.

Yarn prints 12 inch x 12 inch can be offered at 120 aud not including postage.

Their are many other beautifuls items that we can source of course but we are not permitted to take photographs of the art directly. You can be assured of the vibrance however regardless of the piece. Further you may have something in mind. Beadwork varies from as little as 20 aud and its is gorgeous.

You can be assured that this money does not go in the pockets of money grabbers but back to an artisan family group directly. Prices are not bargained and set fees apply with each piece being 100% unique and one off. We simply on sell and receive a percentage for our work, money is something we do not need alot of living in beautiful Real and thank goodness for this;)

Please personal message us with interest if any and we will be able to advise of some of these pieces to make things easier.

We are returning to Australia in Christmas and can carry pieces back with us also which would render postage void but obviously this will be on a first come first served basis due to luggage restrictions. So do not delay on this method...

One Love

Limpet

what percentage do you charge on top of what the artisans get?

why no pics? surely if you are in good relationship with them they will understand that you have to post a low res pic for people to know what they are buying. Because of the bright colours it is a simple fact that not all pieces appeal to all buyers. For example, my favourite are blue based images, but I am not so fond of green ones.

I agree T, Im sure there are plenty of interested people, but its hard to buy art without seeing it!! Especially a peice that may have a special connection with you or where your headed....

Yes that is true. As you can imagine it is a bit hard at times to get our messages across to the lovely Huichol ladies, we speak only a little bit of spanish as do they :D We will see if we can get some photos going. Especially now that we know that there is interest.

Torsten, our markup is 30% As we mentioned before we will carry them back to OZ in December and so there will be no additional postage and if we are taxed at customs we will pay it from our 30%. We have seen some lovely blue based prints too!

ok i have just edited my post i was a lil suspicious and i apologise :wacko:

Edited by YoWiE

Let's give limpet the benefit of the doubt. S/He hasn't said anything to raise suspicions and has promised to attempt to get photos. We do deal with ripoffs ocassionally and it's worth being on guard, but a little bit of trust goes a long way.

id like a jagur head made of beads please how much?

Sorry we have been offline for a while as we are on holidays but in the end....what we decided was that we loved the huichol artwork so much that we have invested in a whole lot of different items that we will put up for sale upon our return to australia (end of december). We will also be having an art gallery showing of the larger pieces in the new year. We will post here again to let you know the details when finalized. There are many different styles of Huichol artwork available and many new object other than just the beaded pieces, or other work you are familiary with (ie bracelets, yarn prints). Our particular artisan is using yarn for most of his creations, including animals and it is amazingly intricate and stunning. Presently there are no other shaman creating animals in yarn in this region.

Just a brief note, the work we have picked up is not just generic huichol art. It is a particular family of artisans which we have selected from many as the peoples whose superior work and craftsmanship far outweighed all the others we dealt with. Hopefully you will all be as amazed when you see it. Adios!

Just received some of these works and must say that upon opening I am pretty damn impressed with the quality of these paintings.

The colours are lurid and craftsmanship outstanding.

Just wanted to thank and congratulate Melinda and Jamie on making these works available and at such reasonable prices.

Feel very honoured to own some of these inspiring works.

Mucho gracias.

This is them!

Yarn-Sm-02.jpg

Yarn-Med-05.jpg

Yarn-Med-04.jpg

Hi Santillan,

Glad to hear you loved the Huichol artwork even more in real life. You can imagine how stunning one of those piece 1.2mx1.2m. Sadly these ones were too big for us to carry back.

We finally have satellite broadband at home so can finally get our online store going. We have many more smaller items as well (bracelets, eggs etc).

Anyone who is interested can download a zip file (Sorry 30MB) of items for sale. http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~melinda/Huichol.zip

I will send another message when the store is online for those interested.

Cheers!

Thats some fuckin nice artwork right there! Veeery nice.

It looks like those 2 little guys are purging some fire from their bellies too :lol:

They are absolutley stunning, i love how you can really see the detail of the yarn and its movement around the peice. Such dazzling vibrant colours, exquisite craftsmanship and storytelling.