The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

bridgesoid ID please

Question

This one came generously from Mark at UT.

It is rather fat (as you can see compared to its TB2000 counterpart). It has lost some moisture since it has not put out roots yet.

I am not sure if it is spineless or the spines were removed.

16 answers to this question

This one came generously from Mark at UT.

It is rather fat (as you can see compared to its TB2000 counterpart). It has lost some moisture since it has not put out roots yet.

I am not sure if it is spineless or the spines were removed.

I don't know it's origins but would be interested to hear anything about this variety of bridgesii as i have had a few cuttings of it growing in the yard for a while now (not from UT, from local grower, identical looking clones tho), tis much slower grower compared to the other varieties of bridgesii growing next to it, and far slower than traditional pachanoi growth rates, but it's a winner.

About all i can tell you about it, other than going into depth of experiences, ie travelling through higher dimensions, connecting with angelic realms, being uplifted by a choir of angels in divine ecstatic union with the source of all that is, oh yeah, it's a winner alright. :lol::wub::lol::worship:

Peace.

Love and Light Always.

Edited by HyperSpacePixie

So Pixie, is it spineless? Or have the spines on mine been removed for transport?

Interesting looking specimen though no idea sorry?

Is the fencepost one I sent you?

Bridgesii spines can also disapear from new growth while rooting, or in lower light conditions. I have identical cuttings(var. bruce), one showing full spination in full sun, the other in mainly shade has reduced its spines to nill...

Is the fencepost one I sent you?

Nah SAB stock.

Thanks BD, I had a sneaking suspicion it was Bruce, but was worried my coveting of Bruce was causing me to think that :P

Its prob not bruce, but it does look similar. Although bruce tends to have quite pronounced huge spines when in full sun. Ive only noticed the lack of spination since planting one cut in the shade.... Im pretty sure T may know where it may have come from if you got it from SAB. Ive found bridgesiiods tend to react morphologicaly more to differing light levels, moreso than other trichs... Nice plant anyways :)

PS; The other day i was watching a "taboo" doco on peruvian shaman/san predo healing. The plant the shaman had near his front door of his house looked remarkably like a smooth bridgesii. Not pach like, or peruvianoid like, but exactly like your pic. I jumped outa my seat with glee " Its a spineless bridge i say!!" . Although, the one that was consumed by the group looked like a medium/fat pach. Just a note....

Edited by BlackDragon

Nice to hear.

When I said SAB stock I was referring to the fencepost (P. marginatus beside it) not the Bruce (which came from UT like I said in the post).

This has been in partial sunlight since I recieved it, but I do not know how Mark grows 'em (apart from very well).

Do you have a copy of this doco to send me? :lol:

I want to jump with glee also.

Oh my bad, sorry got confused. :bong:

Sure, pm me your addy and ill run you off a copy. I think it also has huichol ceremony too..

So Pixie, is it spineless? Or have the spines on mine been removed for transport?

As BlackDragon already attested they tend to shift between spines and no spines dependant upon the environment they are currently growing in. The one's i have are all relatively spineless on the older growth with a few spines sticking out here and there, the new pups coming through however are agressively red spined, whilst the older spines are quite grey and dull.

Hope this helps!

Mmm, looks similar to one that I have, 4-5 ribs lots of blueing on the new growth, less on the old

much fatter/wider ribs than most.

Heavily spinned no matter where she goes, spines out the top are green, red near the top and white on old growth

She is my flag ship specimen, I have much respect for it. The aereols and surrounds on yours do look pach like though, so I think it may be a cross?

here she is, sorry bout the poor quality, broke my camera and now rely on my web cam :(

The spines are also considerable shorter and stouter than the normal bridge

post-762-1161151526_thumb.jpg

post-762-1161151551_thumb.jpg

i want some

:drool:

I'll put some photos up soon of the other ones I've got around jono that'll have you droolin :lol: