The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Pala

Aloe vera

I was given over a month ago a nice Aloe vera plant. Unfotunately, I don't seem to be looking after it properly...

I water it once a week and keep it outside (inner melbourne weather), partly under shade. It's leaves can get quite droopy, and its colour doesn't look great. :(

I know I'm being vague, but are there some magic tips I should be aware of... Any advice would be appreciated.

They're pretty hardy plants...I'd be looking at the roots maybe better drainage would help.Alternatively if its in a pot just plant it out.

IMO, Good drainage, LOTS of water, and half shade to full shade (e.g. verandah (whilst still getting peak afternoon sun), especially during the harsh late 30's temperatures. Mine was left in full sun, has turned reddish pink colour and all useful aloe gel in the leaves has been dehydrated.

I guess I could try to take it out of the pot... As for sun, I guess I could also try and get it more direct light.

SaBReT00tH: what do you mean by "LOTS of water"?

Thanks guys.

I'm with mesc on this one - take it out and check the roots and then put it in new free draining medium. Watering once a week in Melbourne should be enough atm and they can grow quite well in shade.

they seem to love being pot bound.

the healthiest aloe veras ive seen are crammed into these little pots(being in the same pot for umpteen years, sending out suckers through the drainage holes. maybee u might be overwatering?? i rarely water my lot and they are crankin',

ive got my supply ready for this summer! gonna be a hot 1. check for mealy bugs when u take em out to inspect the roots, if they are present brush as much as u can off into a jar of metho or the like to kill em,

then add a little diatomaceous (spelling?) earth to the mix to kill any remaining and to prevent further infestation.

The aloe vera,s I grow and most I,ve seen dont like to

grow in full sun and will be much healthier in the shade.

hmmm,.... i know aloe vera gets a nice green color when grown in the shade,..... however they seem to do well in full tropical sun too.

in melbourne i would be worried about rot i think. so indeed like the others said - excellent drainage is required. in melbourne I would consider giving it more sun.

I am sure the sun can be intensen in Melb. however not as intense as the tropical sun we have in the tropics.

so give it some more sun i'd say.

I'm in melbourne and my aloe vera definitely doesn't appreciate full sun.

if you have well-draining mix, you can give a good water 2-3 a week when it's really hot, just wait til the top inch of soil is dry

too much sun, too much water/heavy wet soil, or too little water, and they start turning that brownish colour & the tips wither a little within a day, but cheer up & change colour again within a few days of fixing the problem. if it looks like it's getting thin / droopy, it's probably too much sun or not enough water.

Edited by coin

Mine is in soil that holds lots of moisture, it is going well excepting snail attacks, it has full shade and enjoys being liberally watered every day, the soil never drys out

Might be too cold in the mornings still, they generally go too squishy if its cold, if they turn towards browny red they most likely are getting sunburnt, but this time of year isn't the best for aloe vera that far south, the plant may well be concentrating its energys on new shoots.

definitely agree with that...well said

I checked out the roots and they look fine. I think I was watering it too often. Anyway, it has looked better lately. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the weather being getting a bit warmer.