The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
obtuse

spore question

Hi there,

A friend of a friend asked me recently about collecting spores from dried mushrooms. He has some tassie woodlovers left over from winter.

He has recently taken an interest in researching mycology, but being a newbie hadn't taken any spore prints. knowing i have read a lot (but not enough me thinks) about the subject, he asked if i would look into it.

I have done a pretty good search through this forum and others. about to give up, but thought i'd ask.

Sounds feasbile to me, but how would you do it. scrape whatever possible from the gill areas. maybe pulverise the cap. what is the possilbe risk of infection from other biological matter present on the cap or gills.

would there still be any spores present.

Anyway, cheers. =)

I am no experienced mycologist, but in my opinion it would not be worth the effort and almost definately be contaminated.

It depends what sort of effort you are willing to go to and what sort of facilities you have.

You could do a spore dilution, plate out on selective media and isolate.

I don't think you will get good results using any less technical method though.

Tassie woodlovers are hard shrooms to grow at the best of times. Wait til next season and grab some mycelium, use this to spawn a woodchip pile in your backyard. Or grow some other edibles now.