The Corroboree
DuG

bad but good

You may remember me posting some pictures of a suspected T. macro a couple of months ago. (see attached photos below),

there were 2 plants with 10 huge trunks, the tallest was about 3m high. anyway Today i went to visit the house to ask for some cuttings. My heart sank when i saw that they had been cut down. I was upset that i couldn't get any nice big tip cuttings. But I rang the doorbell and spoke to the owner/renter and she said they cut off the trunks and still had them in the yard! there was a slight catch, they had tried to burn them :blink:

there were lots of big thich branches left that were still green but they all had lots of patches of rot. So i wiped off big chunks of slimy cactus booger and loaded up the car with it all.

I cut out the rot out with a knife and a spoon, taking big chunks out of some pieces. there was rot all the way to the core in places. So have loads of logs ranging in size from 10cm to 1.5m

but now i need some advice should i cut the bigger sections down to a smaller easy to handle bits, or do i leave them big :scratchhead:

so cutting will be availible in a few weeks when they have caluosed off, and there is no sign of rot

post-850-1160538038_thumb.jpg

post-850-1160538082_thumb.jpg

post-850-1160538120_thumb.jpg

post-850-1160538159_thumb.jpg

post-850-1160538201_thumb.jpg

post-850-1160538231_thumb.jpg

post-850-1160538271_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

damn good score dug! ill def be keen for a trade when theyre ready :drool:

interesting spination..

id cut em down to foot lengths for trade and pups and stick a big length in the ground and hope the fucker flowers~!

Edited by ferret

... they had tried to burn them :blink:

WTF?? :slap:

nice save!

I've been looking at other T. macro's and i'm not to sure of my ID. I don't really know what i'm looking for to ID a cactus, i just look at lots of photo's.

yes they had *tried* burning it look at this.....

post-850-1160549978_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

:BANGHEAD2::( (we need a crying emot)

i would cut off the burnt parts and let them calous over tho. the flesh thats been heated by the burning might start rott and it might spread.

crazy:S only reasons i can think of for burning it is that stupid myth about those spiders breeding inside the cactus and the fire fighters toast it with a flame thrower, or that they wanted to cut it down and had a burn off with the cactus, makes no sense i like the first theory.

• Like 1

:drool: Nice one Dug.

Sounds like you got there just in time. Jebus man what a score.

oh yeah, BTW, they cannot have been bogans Dug. Bogans would have used petrol to get them logs burnin :P

put my name down for a trade :)

Hi DuG,

that´s pretty bizarre! I never heard frome someone trying to burn a cactus. You will have no problems to save the most of them though. bye EG

I agree that's bizarre!!! I remember reading once about the hardiness of cacti and how they can't be destroyed in fire or something but never actually heard of a real life example!! Why did they burn them???? Were they paranoid of cops or something? Or were they superstitious? Macro is one of my fav cactus's, can't believe they'd burn something so big and accomplished like it!!!

I have no idea why the would try to burn a great cactus. I was too shocked to ask them why.

There was heaps of rot in some of the pieces. Some of the rot went all the way to the core. I think they had been lying on wet ground for a fair time. Its such a shame I didn't ask them about it before they cut it down. I have never seen a big cactus like this before, one of the mid section cuttings i've made weighs 2.7kg and is 28cm long!

Hi DuG,

people make me wonder sometimes, catus barbecue :scratchhead: They probably thought that cacti are too spiney for the normal Trash Container. These guys have pretty good chances to win the cactus hater award 2006.

Don´t water them at all during the next few months and get rid of the rot. Most of them will regrow. Cacti are very hardy. Do you have diffrent clones? The one on the picture next to your glove looks cool.

Edited by Evil Genius

it's for this reason i started the cactus liberation front (Viva La CLF....). If I see a shockingly cared for cactus, I "liberate" it, to a better home....

;)

Three cheers for dug.

He sent me an extremely well packed cut of this cactus.

Despite the bogan damage, you can tell what an amazing specimen it is, beautiful blue hues.

We love ya dug :)

Edited by apothecary

and again thanks DUG!!

Arrived safe and sound and very well packed!

Will get that cutting off to you this week!

got one mofo heavy box today which I am sure contains some of this bogan cactus :lol: . will unpack later.

just wondering what the name will be? 'bogan'? it's about as unique as it can get. or maybe 'BBQ' :P

• Like 1

yep its a chunker alright!

Looks like today was the day that Dugs cuts made the rounds!

Watchout when you open it T, I hear there is a flanno that will emerge and try to lay eggs in you!

Hey I should have warned you guys that the Boganatus flannei bacteria is VERY contaggeous, and may still be present on the cuttings. Look out for these signs;

growing bad hair

feeling the need to head bang said bad hair to heavy metal

buying a commodore VL

spray on black jeans

black t-shirt with red flanney

If you feel ANY of these symptoms please get help ASAP.

And there are still some mid section cuttings left, I'll post something in the marketplace thread.

• Like 1

I think Bogan is a good name for it :lol: I was gobsmacked when I got mine. Thickest cactus I've ever obtained!!! And those big spines can poke a dragons eye out!!

Birth place of bogan.... bump

... Just cause its a great story

• Like 10

I have a friend who owns a ranch with some cattle in Texas. In the dry season they have a flame thrower that they use to burn the thorns off of the prickly pear (opuntia) so that the cows can have a nice snack. They love it. I doubt that was the case here though. Although cattle feasting on a large stand of trichs could get interesting.

• Like 1